Gabriel: Ryan Pace is proving to be a worthy General Manager

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Marshall trade was kind of hard to swallow, at first. But perhaps they thought Marshall and Jeffery were too alike, and will now draft a speedster to line up on the opposite side of Jeffery. Add the locker room/attitude issues with a pretty 'meh' season for him last year, and they felt like he was expendable. /shrug

In Pace we trust? :D

Yup. They need to draft a super tiny shifty pixie-like speedster WR that can juke the gummybears out of defensive backs, then I will trust Pace on that Marshall deal.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite thing Pace has done in FA so far, is show that he will not allow agents to leverage the team.

He has not allowed team needs to put him an a negative negotiating position. Dude has been very willing to let FAs leave the building and go visit other teams. Seems like in every signing so far, the player left without a deal and then came back later to accept a deal they initially had rejected.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite thing Pace has done in FA so far, is show that he will not allow agents to leverage the team.

He has not allowed team needs to put him an a negative negotiating position. Dude has been very willing to let FAs leave the building and go visit other teams. Seems like in every signing so far, the player left without a deal and then came back later to accept a deal they initially had rejected.

Showing more cap discipline than the Saints. Which had some concerned.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
He hasnt begun to prove shit.

His biggest moves so far have been hiring the safest HC imaginable, likely at the suggestion of those above him, giving away arguably the best player on the team, and deciding Cuntler was worth another 10M guaranteed.

If anything hes raised far more questions as to his ability to be a worthy GM.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saints situation is so different though. Their problem is a top heavy team. Er, veteran heavy. So many of their players were on 2nd and 3rd contracts where they had earned big pay increases. And there was not enough talent coming in on rookie contracts to cut those guys loose. Root of their problems was probably more with drafting that anything.

If you want to maintain a dynasty and avoid the 3-5 year swings, the team has to maintain a favorable ratio of starters on rookie contracts to starters on vet contracts. Its the key to long term success and what is really meant when people say teams have to build through the draft.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I feel that whatever Pace does, people will find a way to praise him. I understand holding out hope and giving the guy a grace period, but honestly I haven't been overly impressed. John Fox seemed to fall in his lap and is a huge reason why a good coaching staff has been put into place. Additionally, I still get the sense that Pace does not quite know what he is doing. He may be a hard worker, but he seems to lack a plan of action for the team's direction.

Get rid of our best WR for dirt cheap. Guarentee too much money for Royal, which probably limited us a little bit in FA. Lure in an aging Antre Rolle as our major Safety acquisition when the position was abysmal last year and the draft does not show much promise. Sign a whole bunch of guys to one year deals and hope it works out. Pencil in Lamar Houston as an OLB and Shea Mac as an ILB.

Crucify me if you will, but the uneasy feeling I have for Pace is beginning to grow. I think the draft will confirm or deny my attitude. Right now, with how I feel, I think Pace will draft a mediocre player at #7..Some that fit the mold are - Danny Shelton, Malcom Brown, Alvin Dupree, Trae Waynes, Landon Collins, Devante Parker. Not that all those are horrible players, but I am expecting to leave with an elite prospect - Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler, Amari Cooper, or Vic Beasley. If we pass up any of these guys for the ones listed I will go crazy.

Reactions: DC

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I feel that whatever Pace does, people will find a way to praise him. I understand holding out hope and giving the guy a grace period, but honestly I haven't been overly impressed. John Fox seemed to fall in his lap and is a huge reason why a good coaching staff has been put into place. Additionally, I still get the sense that Pace does not quite know what he is doing. He may be a hard worker, but he seems to lack a plan of action for the team's direction.

Get rid of our best WR for dirt cheap. Guarentee too much money for Royal, which probably limited us a little bit in FA. Lure in an aging Antre Rolle as our major Safety acquisition when the position was abysmal last year and the draft does not show much promise. Sign a whole bunch of guys to one year deals and hope it works out. Pencil in Lamar Houston as an OLB and Shea Mac as an ILB.

Crucify me if you will, but the uneasy feeling I have for Pace is beginning to grow. I think the draft will confirm or deny my attitude. Right now, with how I feel, I think Pace will draft a mediocre player at #7..Some that fit the mold are - Danny Shelton, Malcom Brown, Alvin Dupree, Trae Waynes, Landon Collins, Devante Parker. Not that all those are horrible players, but I am expecting to leave with an elite prospect - Leonard Williams, Dante Fowler, Amari Cooper, or Vic Beasley. If we pass up any of these guys for the ones listed I will go crazy.

So what your saying is that it's OK to bash Pace, and if he doesn't draft the player you want, even if he's not there, Pace sucks? :dunno:

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
super_meh-50482.gif

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
wasn't happy with the marshall move the fa signings have been meh and we really wont know anything until a couple seasons from now no matter who he drafts

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
By the last few comments of negative bashing of Pace you can tell who is clueless.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He hired him to fix Cutler.

And Pace May be smart enough to know that he can't be fixed so work around it thus year. Get everything else moving forward and hope Cutler doesn't ruin the season. Giving Cutler a better defense and not putting him a shoot out of catch up situation every game will help. Fix the QB position next year when cutting Cutler won' kill the cap.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
wasn't happy with the marshall move the fa signings have been meh and we really wont know anything until a couple seasons from now no matter who he drafts

I disagree, we'll know pretty darn quick this year as the Bears will be transitioning to a 3-4 defense from an extremely vanilla 4-3 cover two defense. One could make an argument very easily that it takes a couple years just to change a defense like that.

Also, many people just assumed that the Bears were going to rebuild for a year or two. Pace's moves have showed me differently, imo. He's plugged a lot of holes with cheap, 1 year deals. Why is this good? Well, it shows he wants to win now, as he rebuilds.

That right there is something I want to see. Fangio was able to turn around the 49er's defense the 1st year he was there. Pace is giving Fox and Fangio the tools he needs to do just that. This is a good thing for the Bears.

Pace has also put the Bears in a pretty good position to draft the BPA as he plugged a lot of the holes with cheap 1 year 'prove it' deals. This is evident as no one really has a clue at this point which way he's leaning in the draft.

The best thing that Pace has done so far is hire a veteran coaching staff with a proven record.One would think that people would realize that's a good thing and a first for the Bears. The staff also wants to bring back a strong running game and a tough, attacking defense.

One would think fans would get excited about that after the failed "turn into an offensive team' bullshit, with the unproven Canadian coach routine the Bears trotted out onto the field the last couple years? :dunno:

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Been quite careful in FA but plugged gaps for decent prices and low risk. Thing is though, if we want to build through the draft then it's going to take some time to be able to judge Pace properly. Basics are I like the guy, think he come across well. People like this or don't like that, forums are for opinions and everyone is entitled to one. But for me it'll be impossible to judge how well he's really doing until we're half way through the coming season.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree, we'll know pretty darn quick this year as the Bears will be transitioning to a 3-4 defense from an extremely vanilla 4-3 cover two defense. One could make an argument very easily that it takes a couple years just to change a defense like that.

Also, many people just assumed that the Bears were going to rebuild for a year or two. Pace's moves have showed me differently, imo. He's plugged a lot of holes with cheap, 1 year deals. Why is this good? Well, it shows he wants to win now, as he rebuilds.

That right there is something I want to see. Fangio was able to turn around the 49er's defense the 1st year he was there. Pace is giving Fox and Fangio the tools he needs to do just that. This is a good thing for the Bears.

Pace has also put the Bears in a pretty good position to draft the BPA as he plugged a lot of the holes with cheap 1 year 'prove it' deals. This is evident as no one really has a clue at this point which way he's leaning in the draft.

The best thing that Pace has done so far is hire a veteran coaching staff with a proven record.One would think that people would realize that's a good thing and a first for the Bears. The staff also wants to bring back a strong running game and a tough, attacking defense.

One would think fans would get excited about that after the failed "turn into an offensive team' bullshit, with the unproven Canadian coach routine the Bears trotted out onto the field the last couple years? :dunno:

im not disparaging the guy or building him up at this point the coaching hires were brilliant the marshall move not so much the free agents he has acquired don't wow me or disappoint me.
all im saying is I don't think we are really going to have any idea about this gm or any other for that matter until at least year 3 or so. so whats the point berating him or building him up?
my honest opinion is they pulled the trigger on emery too soon as I think he was getting better situated on his drafting here and we were just beginning too see him finding the talent we all want. now my hope is pace works out and can build a competent system that stays in place and our teams built into it through the draft

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
And Pace May be smart enough to know that he can't be fixed so work around it thus year. Get everything else moving forward and hope Cutler doesn't ruin the season. Giving Cutler a better defense and not putting him a shoot out of catch up situation every game will help. Fix the QB position next year when cutting Cutler won' kill the cap.

Exactly. I'm surprised people don't get this, myself. I do, however, expect Pace to draft a QB somewhere in the draft this year. Like you say, it'll only cost $3 mil to cut him prior to March next year. As far as Marshall, I get the feeling it was a lot about the damn radio show, and not focusing on the Bears 100%. I applaud that by the Bears.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
im not disparaging the guy or building him up at this point the coaching hires were brilliant the marshall move not so much the free agents he has acquired don't wow me or disappoint me.
all im saying is I don't think we are really going to have any idea about this gm or any other for that matter until at least year 3 or so. so whats the point berating him or building him up?
my honest opinion is they pulled the trigger on emery too soon as I think he was getting better situated on his drafting here and we were just beginning too see him finding the talent we all want. now my hope is pace works out and can build a competent system that stays in place and our teams built into it through the draft

And again, I think when people see the Bears defense playing pretty good halfway through the year next year, people will all of a sudden realize that Pace is doing a good job. I think you're crazy, no offense, to think that Fox, Gase, and Fangio signed up for a 3 year rebuild.

I also think you're not giving enough credit to Royal, who Gase knows very well. I Loved Marshall as a WR, but I think Royal will do much better than people think. I also think there's a good chance we draft a decent WR with one of the 1st three picks.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
And again, I think when people see the Bears defense playing pretty good halfway through the year next year, people will all of a sudden realize that Pace is doing a good job. I think you're crazy, no offense, to think that Fox, Gase, and Fangio signed up for a 3 year rebuild.

I also think you're not giving enough credit to Royal, who Gase knows very well. I Loved Marshall as a WR, but I think Royal will do much better than people think. I also think there's a good chance we draft a decent WR with one of the 1st three picks.
im hopeful they will be better im also one of the people who has stated here I think the coaching staff changes alone made this a far far better team and wouldn't be shocked too see marked improvement just from that alone.

at the same time I also am just adding I wouldn't get too crazy with the pace love as of yet I feel the coaching moves were a homerun but so far the marshall move was a mistake not that he moved him but the shit value he got...and nothing ive seen so far from his fa moves has wowed me.

I guess im just sayin lets slow the role a bit before we crown his ass

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
So what your saying is that it's OK to bash Pace, and if he doesn't draft the player you want, even if he's not there, Pace sucks? :dunno:

No. What I was saying is that I have an uneasy feeling that Pace would pass up those players if they were available to draft someone who should be a couple spots down the Big Board. Of course I wouldn't fault him if he didn;t draft those players if it weren't available.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
im hopeful they will be better im also one of the people who has stated here I think the coaching staff changes alone made this a far far better team and wouldn't be shocked too see marked improvement just from that alone.

at the same time I also am just adding I wouldn't get too crazy with the pace love as of yet I feel the coaching moves were a homerun but so far the marshall move was a mistake not that he moved him but the shit value he got...and nothing ive seen so far from his fa moves has wowed me.

I guess im just sayin lets slow the role a bit before we crown his ass

Well, I'm not looking to crown anyone's as that's for sure. I too was fooled by Emery and the coaching staff last year, although I was a big proponant that we should have fired Tucker earlier in the year. I even said that Tucker not being fired could cost Trestman his job, and it did.

In the end, Tress didn't have the Balls to do what needed to be done, and that was fire Tucker's ass, who absolutely ruined the Bears defense. I wonder now if that was supported or even came from Emery, as I didn't expect Emery to be fired.

But looking back at it now, it was a complete clusterfuck all the way around. I was never a fan of the Bears becoming an offensive team. I just don't believe in that. I believe in a balanced team, but I believe that defense wins championships.

That's why I'm starting to like what Pace has done. He did what the Bears have never done before..... hire a coach with actual head coaching experience. I think the staff he and Fox have assembled is the best staff we've seen before (Buddy and Ditka were kinda different).

And like I said, his moves so far show that they want to win now, and that's exactly what I want to see. I also want to see the Bears run the ball and play good defense again. Pace has also been very patient in FA'cy. The bottom line is I like what I'm seeing.