And with the first overall pick, the Chicago Bears chose...

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It has been almost seventy years since the Bears have had a first overall pick. In 1946 they finished with a record of 8-2-1, ultimately defeating the New York Giants, 24-14, in Sid Luckman's 4th national championship. The pick order for the 1947 draft was set similarly to how it is today, with worse teams picking higher, however at the time the first overall was a bonus pick awarded by lottery which was won by the Bears.

With the first pick, they chose Robert "Blonde Bomber" Fenimore, from Oklahoma.

t5U6U3R.jpg

From Wikipedia,

As a player, he set many school records, including the career interception mark of 18 which still stands at Oklahoma State today.[2] He was 195 pounds and could step the 100 yard dash in 9.7 compared with the world record at the time of 9.4. He led the nation in total offense in 1944 and in total offense and rushing in 1945 when he finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting behind Army's Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard. The Aggies were 8-1 in 1944 and 9-0 in 1945—the only unbeaten/untied season in Oklahoma A&M/State football history.[3]

Due to injuries, Fenimore played sparingly in the 1946 season and despite the risk, the Chicago Bears made Fenimore the first pick overall in the 1947 NFL Draft.

As a Chicago Bear, he played ten out of twelve games in 1947.

Kb6vEae.png

He also caught two interceptions on defense and returned two punts for sixteen yards.

1947 was Fenimore's only season in the NFL.

“I was never successful at all,” said Fenimore. “I played left halfback in the T formation and I wasn’t used to wearing a brace. I didn’t have a chance to get accustomed to it. I came from the single wing in college to the T formation. It was quite a change and I was never one to have a quick start. I didn’t hit the holes quick enough.

“I had a three year contract and I could have continued to play. But it wasn’t fun and I decided to call it quits. It was a disappointing way to finish. Sure, I wonder how things might have turned out if I hadn’t been hurt, but that’s life.”

After the NFL he worked for an insurance company. Fenimore died in July of 2010.

Last edited:

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
Well this ought to get some panties bunched up.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
well, Chicago did win the championship that year.

it was the cardinals, but fuck it...

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, 13 year olds were eligible for the draft back then?

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Should have picked up Tyler Lockette's Great Grandfather. That guy is going to be a superstar some yesteryear.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oklahoma state. Stillwater is one if the most depressing places on earth.

Why do more people go to OU instead of OSU?

Because it's easier to spell

Last edited:

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Oklahoma state. Stillwater is one if the most depressing places on earth.

Why do morr people go to OU instead of OSU?

Brecause it's easier to spell

Oh you..

They may be geographically ignorant ( otherwise why would the be in Oklahoma for more than a week?) and thinking OSU is Ohio University, and i can't blame them in that case.

JesusHalasChrist

Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Bears can end their seventy year first overall drought this year.

jive

Liked Posts:
If the Bears had the #1 pick, Elon Musk would decide to take a loss and sell Twitter because of all the dick ripping after the draft.

JesusHalasChrist

Donator
Liked Posts:
Halas should have traded down.