Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
First off I am not a wine guy, at all, but I have friends that are, let's call them winebuddies. About a year ago Woot.com had a sale on a case of sparkling wines from a vineyard called Gruet from New Mexico. I read up and it got good reviews, so I bought a case of 12 bottles, 4 bottles each of 3 different types.

I didn't try any until the holidays, like I said I'm not a big wine guy so it was easy to leave them alone. We host a lot during the holidays, on Thanksgiving I opened up a few bottles and the winebuddies loved it and were surprised to hear they were only about $12 a bottle delivered. The case was gone by New Years day.

Today 8/29 Woot.com is having the same deal, it went a a couple bucks so $12.40 a bottle.

http://wine.woot.com/offers/gruet-sparkling-mixed-case-7?ref=wn_cnt_gw_dly_img

Reactions: DC

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I prefer beer, but thanks for sharing.
WHITEHOUSEBEER.jpg

Hacker-winewarehouse-ad.jpg

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I always took you for a Bartles and Jaymes guy.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Abomination. /thread.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I drank more white wine this summer than ever before. I have learned that there is a time and place for every wine. Indubitably.

I opened up a cabernet of all things tonight from the western slope in Colorado and it's freaking awesome! You never know!

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Abomination. /thread.

So you've tried Gruet wines and didn't like them? Abomination? Really they are that bad? My friends/family that know about wine are that far off? I find that very hard to believe. They thought it was good for $12 a bottle. It gets great reviews: "If Gruet isn't already on your go-to list for affordable sparkling wine, it should be. The quality-price ratio for its non-vintage Blanc de Noirs ($14) is as high as it gets; I don't know a better traditional-method bubbly under $15."
http://winereviewonline.com/Blake_Gray_on_Gruet.cfm

I'll take the experts word for it thanks. Abomination, lol.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
So you've tried Gruet wines and didn't like them? Abomination? Really they are that bad? My friends/family that know about wine are that far off? I find that very hard to believe. They thought it was good for $12 a bottle. It gets great reviews: "If Gruet isn't already on your go-to list for affordable sparkling wine, it should be. The quality-price ratio for its non-vintage Blanc de Noirs ($14) is as high as it gets; I don't know a better traditional-method bubbly under $15."
http://winereviewonline.com/Blake_Gray_on_Gruet.cfm

I'll take the experts word for it thanks. Abomination, lol.

Sorry, I was just being a smartass. It's not in my rotation, but that shouldn't matter: as long as you enjoy it, screw what anyone else thinks.

Reactions: DC

RacerX

Liked Posts:
I drank more white wine this summer than ever before. I have learned that there is a time and place for every wine. Indubitably.

I opened up a cabernet of all things tonight from the western slope in Colorado and it's freaking awesome! You never know!

I drink whites from spring through fall, not so much during winter. It just feels like a backyard-type beverage, warm evening time. None of those Cali fruit bombs, I prefer the old world style with some dry mineral and balance.

I really only drink red wine with food these days.

Inbetween, I roll with extra Amro and Japanese whiskey, which unfortunately has become more challenging to source.

Have you come across anything else interesting, aside from the Colorado red?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gruet used to make one of the best sparkling values on the market. I sold it when I was in retail. However, they partnered (I forget how it was phrased) with somone and expanded their production. So, some of the bottles are not labeled "American" versus New Mexico as they are buying grapes from other states-IIRC, Texas. I've tasted the "American" line and I do not think it is up to the previous wines quality. I have visited the winery and they do make a number of other wines, both still and sparkling, and some are pretty good. I don't think the wines will be confused with benchmarks from California, Washington or Oregon but if priced right they can be good values. There are a number of very good sparkling wines on the market.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Gruet is a hell of a winery here in New Mexico.

People wouldn't think New Mexico and wine in the same sentence, but they have been making wine here longer than anywhere else in the United States.

We are no Napa Valley or Paso Robles, but the wines here are pretty decent.

Edit: I am not a huge wine guy myself. I went through a wine phase and then back to beer, I really love our craft beer industry. Good brews in NM

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gruet is a hell of a winery here in New Mexico.

People wouldn't think New Mexico and wine in the same sentence, but they have been making wine here longer than anywhere else in the United States.

We are no Napa Valley or Paso Robles, but the wines here are pretty decent.

Edit: I am not a huge wine guy myself. I went through a wine phase and then back to beer, I really love our craft beer industry. Good brews in NM

The reason I posted this was it's just a good deal. Last year I made one purchase and had 12 bottles of good bubbly delivered to my door at $12 each. They lasted through the holidays and I didn't waste any time and money at Binny's and Costco starring at a wall of things I know nothing about. My friends and family that enjoyed it would have been more than happy to rip me a new one if this stuff sucked, they really did like it.

Bottom line, it's a painless and inexpensive way to cross off one holiday chore I do not enjoy. Now, I'm going to go drink a beer.