Jordan Howard

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
That entire first draft class doe. RIP. Trust me, even other than the 2015 draft class... there are plenty of reasons to hate on Pace.

In the 2015 draft Pace found some players in the middle to late rounds that are legit NFL contributors and a few NFL starters. Not every pick has to be a PB player to be a good pick. Plus in his 1st draft he had too use some of the previous scouting dept. In 2016 he had the complete scouting dept that he wanted in place.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really related, but I recently saw that when he was at Arizona, Kadeem Carey actually led the nation in rushing with 1929 yards. Its interesting to me in two ways...one, Carey isn't all that impressive and, two, Arizona's offense right now is even more point-starved than the Bears.

I think that was 2012(?). If so the Pac 12 South that year was a fucking dumpster fire on defense.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
this is ridiculous. lol

does a rb need 4.3 speed? of course not, but getting caught from behind like he has this season is a result of lacking any sort of speed. hes flat out slow. id wager the vast majority of young featured backs in the league would not get caught with that much day light ahead of them. his lack of speed was a knock on him heading into the draft, and it shows. im not saying cut the kid, im simply saying some of you need to calm the down when it comes to crowning him and pace shouldnt give up searching for a complete back.

Forte wasn't much faster if at all, and he was the most productive back in football. Zen is right, top end speed is the most overrated quality in a back because it matters on about 2-4% of their touches. What they do with the other 96-98% is more important to me, and Howard has been terrific.

And yes, Langford does suck.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To my eyes at least, it seems like Howard starts to slow down for the last 5-10 yards of those big runs - like he's either running out of gas or just anticipating the tackle from behind. If he doesn't do that, he might have taken it the distance...

but maybe i'm just imagining things.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
this is ridiculous. lol

does a rb need 4.3 speed? of course not, but getting caught from behind like he has this season is a result of lacking any sort of speed. hes flat out slow. id wager the vast majority of young featured backs in the league would not get caught with that much day light ahead of them. his lack of speed was a knock on him heading into the draft, and it shows. im not saying cut the kid, im simply saying some of you need to calm the down when it comes to crowning him and pace shouldnt give up searching for a complete back.

A GM should never give up looking for improvements in personnel. But Howard has 100 carries with a 5 ypc average, and is one of only 5 backs with 2 or more runs of over 40 yards, with 3 less starts. His speed is not a problem. He is what the Bears need, a back who can get the tough yards, and break a few occasionally. Forte was often caught from behind on long runs also.

Whine all you want, but Howard is a bright spot this season, and I'm enjoying it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Forte wasn't much faster if at all, and he was the most productive back in football. Zen is right, top end speed is the most overrated quality in a back because it matters on about 2-4% of their touches. What they do with the other 96-98% is more important to me, and Howard has been terrific.

I agree but it does depend on the scheme and how fast they may be. Tony Dorsett is a good example of a special speed back. The one thing I'd like to see the Bears work on with Jordan this off season is getting him to run with more knee lift. Not for speed but it should help him in general. He does sort of gather into cuts which is fine for the current system.

Just for fun. If some of the young guys never saw this 190 lbs back run, do a search.
[video=youtube;Wn3ynYdTdHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn3ynYdTdHY[/video]

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Brooks was a pretty awesome receiver out of the backfield also.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I agree. On his long run, it looked to me that Howard just ran out of gas rather than being slow. He looks to be a pretty complete back who just needs a crease to get started and will brush off arm tackles. ALso, he does lean forward for a yard or two when he does get tackled. Clearly was a solid draft pick by Pace.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In the 2015 draft Pace found some players in the middle to late rounds that are legit NFL contributors and a few NFL starters. Not every pick has to be a PB player to be a good pick. Plus in his 1st draft he had too use some of the previous scouting dept. In 2016 he had the complete scouting dept that he wanted in place.

Last I checked no one has been named to a pro bowl. Jordan Howard is the only PB worthy player so far and I'm not counting my chickens yet there either.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last I checked no one has been named to a pro bowl. Jordan Howard is the only PB worthy player so far and I'm not counting my chickens yet there either.

Yep. Although I think that Freeman has played a a very high level as has Whitehair. Whitehair reminds me of Long in how quickly became a mainstay of the offensive line. If only they had drafted Tunsil with their first pick:(

Liked Posts:
A little more speed would be nice. He gets stuffed on carries for no gain a few more times than I would like, but he's solid.