Scout: UNC's Mitch Trubisky is 'top two or three' draft pick

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mitch-trubisky-is-top-two-or-three-draft-pick

North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky's lack of experience as a one-year starter is concerning for NFL scouts, but it might not be enough to keep him from being the first quarterback selected in the NFL draft.

In fact, an AFC scout believes Trubisky's draft stock will rise such that he could be selected No. 2 or 3 overall.

"You're gonna see the ascension of the Carolina quarterback," the scout told MMQB. "He's the guy, a Top 2 or 3 pick. He's the guy. ... A lot of teams like him up there."

The Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears hold the top three picks of the draft, and all three have a need at the quarterback position. But what looks like a top-3 pick to the AFC scout looks like something else to others. NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said this week that he would be "scared to death" to take any quarterback in the 2017 draft with a top-10 selection. As for the 49ers, analyst Daniel Jeremiah noted Thursday that the club can afford to be patient in addressing the position.

Two of the draft's other top quarterbacks -- Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer -- are more of the developmental variety, per an AFC college scouting director quoted in the report. The scouting director said Watson is a year away from being able to run an NFL offense, while Kizer is more of a two-year project.

"I'll be shocked if Trubisky's not the first one off the board (among quarterbacks)," an AFC executive said.

Jeremiah's latest mock draft projects Watson as the first quarterback selected, No. 10 overall by the Buffalo Bills, with Trubisky falling to the New York Giants at No. 23. Projecting how the top quarterbacks will fall in the draft is tricky business in February, but the NFL Scouting Combine next month and subsequent pro-day workouts could help sort out the pecking order for NFL clubs. That's especially true for Trubisky, because NFL scouts have film from only 13 career starts at the college level to judge him on.

But if the AFC scout is correct, the experience concern about Trubisky won't really stick to him by the time the draft comes around on April 27.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love this...In the last few weeks we've been told what a bad QB draft class this is and in the last hour we have two threads posted...One about how Trubisky is a top 2-3 pick and the other about how Kizer was seen as an immediate starter and SB type QB by an NFL GM a year ago.

BAD QB CLASS THO'!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would not shock me if Trubisky distanced himself.

He has the best technique and is by far the most accurate.

I think SF will lock in on him with how Shannahan values accuracy and decision making.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If he's 6'1 as rumored, I don't see how he goes top 5. Or even top 10. He's a one year starter, who played in a read option offense. He looked terrible against Stanford. He has flashed elite QB talent but how long before he's a quality NFL starter? If he goes to a team that expects him to start in year 1 or 2 he will be a bust. There's no way he's ready to play in the NFL. 13 starts in college. I can't think of a single successful QB with that little college experience other then Cam Newton, but Newton is a physical marvel, and did start a for two years albeit at a very low level college.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he's 6'1 as rumored, I don't see how he goes top 5. Or even top 10. He's a one year starter, who played in a read option offense. He looked terrible against Stanford. He has flashed elite QB talent but how long before he's a quality NFL starter? If he goes to a team that expects him to start in year 1 or 2 he will be a bust. There's no way he's ready to play in the NFL. 13 starts in college. I can't think of a single successful QB with that little college experience other then Cam Newton, but Newton is a physical marvel, and did start a for two years albeit at a very low level college.

Yeah. I watched Watson march up and down the field twice against the best college defense in the land and also watched Stanford shut down Trubisky down. Watson is my choice IF they can make a good trade down deal because I do not take any qb at three. If they cannot get a decent trade offer, I go defense with the number three pick.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Love this...In the last few weeks we've been told what a bad QB draft class this is and in the last hour we have two threads posted...One about how Trubisky is a top 2-3 pick and the other about how Kizer was seen as an immediate starter and SB type QB by an NFL GM a year ago.

BAD QB CLASS THO'!

CCS: The place to go to find out that only 5 good quarterbacks have been drafted in the last 10 years...

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I think Trubisky end ups going to SF unless they trade for JG.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Ryan Tannehill
2008 Could not beat Stephen Mcgee fot the starting QB
2009 Could not beat Jarrod Johnson for the stating QB
2010 Could not beat Jarrod Johnson for the stating QB - He did split time with him torwards the end of the season
2011 Started all 13 games

2012 1st Rd Draft Pick
2012 Dolphins record for most yards and highest pass completions for a rookie
2014 Dolphins record for highest pass completion percentage
2015 Set NFL record for most consecutive pass completions

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
please god no. I really don't get the hype. Couldn't beat out marquise williams for two years and had his worst games in his teams most important matchups

alt?

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Please god no. I really don't get the hype. Couldn't beat out Marquise Williams for two years and had his worst games in his teams most important matchups

This is one of weaker arguments against Trubisky. There's this thing called seniority that exists prevalently in college football. Williams already had a year of starting under his belt before Trubisky even came to town. Also, UNC runs a spread offense, which incorporates a lot of read option stuff. Williams was the better runner and a decent enough thrower to get by in college. They were a run heavy team with Williams and found some success.

Right now, Louisville could have the next Peyton Manning as their backup QB for all we know, but it wouldn't matter because he's not replacing Lamar Jackson as long as he's in school.

The greatest QB of all time Tom Brady split reps with Drew Henson in college. Hall of Famer Kurt Warner started only 1 year of college football at the FCS level at Northern Iowa. Joe Flacco had to transfer out of Pittsburgh to Delaware because he couldn't beat out Tyler Palko. Cam Newton also started 1 season, and as stated above Tannehill started for only 1 year too. It's not the end all be all.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
trubisky was not shut down by stanford. despite throwing two picks(including a pick 6) he had them in the game till the very end. yeah, the picks sucked, but he otherwise looked pretty damn good, and like i said bounced right back from the mistakes and had them in a position at the end. he threw very few picks overall. hell, he had a 5-1 td/int ratio. ill take that. no QB is going to be perfect 100% of the time. and if he can learn from his mistakes, all the better.

i like trubisky at 3 as long as the team feels he has the intangibles as well after getting to sit down and work with him directly.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Yeah. I watched Watson march up and down the field twice against the best college defense in the land and also watched Stanford shut down Trubisky down. Watson is my choice IF they can make a good trade down deal because I do not take any qb at three. If they cannot get a decent trade offer, I go defense with the number three pick.

Guess you missed when Trubisky got that team back in the game with an incredible final drive huh? Even when his receivers failed him time after time in the RZ. He still made big throw after big throw at the end.

Did he bungle the 2 point conversion? Yes. So he isn't completely Tom brady clutch at this point. The kid has everything you want in an NFL QB though.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Ryan Tannehill
2008 Could not beat Stephen Mcgee fot the starting QB
2009 Could not beat Jarrod Johnson for the stating QB
2010 Could not beat Jarrod Johnson for the stating QB - He did split time with him torwards the end of the season
2011 Started all 13 games

2012 1st Rd Draft Pick
2012 Dolphins record for most yards and highest pass completions for a rookie
2014 Dolphins record for highest pass completion percentage
2015 Set NFL record for most consecutive pass completions

He did have 234 attempts in 2010 so that's way more than 1 year of starting. Also, Tannehill was chosen 9th, not 2nd or 3rd and that a big difference. Another factor was he is 6'4, not under 6'2.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Is this an actual issue? Everywhere I've looked has him as 6'3. Is he gonna be wearing platforms at the combine?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Is this an actual issue? Everywhere I've looked has him as 6'3. Is he gonna be wearing platforms at the combine?
And what would their basis to get that figure be?

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

Luke

Liked Posts:
rumors from various scouts during the senior bowl. He looks like he s/b at least 6'2 tho.