Bears Part Ways with Sitton

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Bears Part Ways with Sitton

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
The #Bears will decline their $8 million option for 2018 on veteran guard Josh Sitton, sources tell @RapSheet and me. They'll go younger. Sitton goes back on the market at age 31.

4:26 PM - Feb 20, 2018

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
O.K. If this is credible.....it opens up a whole new can of worms. Harry Hiestand! Step right up and construct your O-Line! Both FA and the Draft open up....

Nelson at #8 looks very good here.......?!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
O.K. If this is credible.....it opens up a whole new can of worms. Harry Hiestand! Step right up and construct your O-Line! Both FA and the Draft open up....

Its credible. Biggs and Ian R have both tweeted it.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

I think its still doubtful, but now a better possibility...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
That means no guard in the top ten. Pace would have kept him as a smokescreen like when he gave glennon that contract lol lol lol

On serious note didn’t see this coming we are pretty thin on the oline and long has been a permanent member of the ir club

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not a fan of using the 8th pick on Nelson but I think it just became a little more likely.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Just a lot of money to pay for Sitton. Sucks to see him go, however the Bears will now have a ton of money to spend in free agency.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well if you have the best OL coach in the business allegedly then you should trust him to build the line as he sees fit. Not surprised they let him go and frankly am not all that broken up by it but they better find a good replacement. Personally, I think G may be Whitehair's best position so I would be looking at G and C in FA if I were the Bears.

Move Whitehair to LG and Long to RG as the days of thinking Long's could eventually move to LG or LT are over. At this stage he is probably better on the right side.

Hopefully they dump Massie as well and find a replacement for him as I can't imagine he fits HH's system.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The Bears also have options with Whitehair since he can play two positions.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well if you have the best OL coach in the business allegedly then you should trust him to build the line as he sees fit. Not surprised they let him go and frankly am not all that broken up by it but they better find a good replacement. Personally, I think G may be Whitehair's best position so I would be looking at G and C in FA if I were the Bears.

Think you may be right on this. Whitehair to guard and we get a new center.

napo55

Liked Posts:
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/2/16/17020696/chicago-bears-andrew-norwell-zach-fulton-cody-whitehair-free-agency-preview-offensive-line-nfl-2018

Norwell?! Fulton?! Does Pace go shopping in FA for an upgrade on Josh with Andrew Norwell....he's younger and quite good...but do we risk getting into a bidding war and opting out without securing Josh's replacement. That would put an awful lot of pressure on our No.#8 Draft Pick....

Pass the popcorn.....this is getting interesting.

Or maybe the Bears could find a quality OG in the 4th round or later. Lots of other teams seem to be able to fill their interior O lines without spending a high draft choice.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Additionally, just because they didn't want to pay him an $8M bonus doesn't mean they don't want him back. He may be gone but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't tell him to keep intouch if he doesn't get an offer that knocks his socks off.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears at 52 million in cap room right now with Glennon cut still likely coming. Get rid of McPhee, Young, Simms, Massie, Wheaton Demps and Cooper and you have 100 million in cap space.