Bears trade Howard to Philly for a 6th (possible 5th)

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
And sometimes teams win and sometimes teams lose one trades. Time will tell where the Bears end up.

Have the Bears won something for the fans to put blind trust in them?
executive and coach of the year

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Can we just pull a jordan howard and forget about it (get it when jordan howard deleted all of his bears picture from ig from the John fox era).
As soon as we get another running back that does what Jordan Howard did his first two years I guess. When a running back does what neither Sayers or Payton did their first two seasons, I would say the man was special.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
We didn’t get good value in trading Howard, and he’s clearly a good RB as indicating by his first two years in the league. Sure, he’s not a great fit so we had to move on, but an effective 2019 7th round pick is basically garbage.

The only thing positive about this is that it does Howard a favor, and let’s him compete for a good contract for next year. He would have gotten less touches here in CHI this year but who cares, at the very MINIMUM he’s injury insurance.

Throw in the rumors that he could have been traded last year for a 3rd round pick and it looks not so good in hindsight. Oh well.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Rumors are just that. Also, the Bears also save 2 mil in cap which is another benefit to the trade.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Low risk for the Eagles with potential rewards in a bounce back player and/or comp pick. Good move for them IMO.

This is betting against the trend though because most RBs don't bounce back and Howard didn't look or perform well last year.

It just stinks for him that he wasn't able to cash in on his first two years.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I agree with this. I am sure they are counting on some draft pick to produce or another trade they make...my guess is they will draft a player they like and add him to the mix. It will be an area with a question mark, however Jordan didn't exactly light it up in this offense.

He played much better ad they season progressed. Again, I don't mind trading him, but I want the bird in hand first. The guy we draft may be another Mizzel or Langford. Howard will at least get you 1000 yards and 8 tds in his second year of the system. Had we gotten a better pick I'd feel better, but a sixth next year is basically giving him away.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
executive and coach of the year

Yeah I was referring to the team not the GM and coach. Fans aren't really paying money and watching games with Executive and Coach of the Year as the objective.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That isn't necessarily true. Not that I am necessarily on board with this sentiment, but if the Bears get better production if Cohen and Davis get more looks and produce better than Howard, then yes it is the Bears getting better.
It actually goes beyond that. If the entire O functions better with Davis, individual stats aren't the complete picture though you know some will pound on that if Davis doesn't put up 1000 rushing yards..

napo55

Liked Posts:
I think we all agree Nagy did a great job in his first year. One area where he fell short was the ground game. Failure to use Jordan Howard correctly and the bizarre decision to give Mizzel pt are valid areas of criticism. Let's see if the Eagles do a better job of utilizing Howard's talents and how Howard's replacements fare. If things improve, all will be forgive. If not, Nagy will have some splaining to do.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The player must have wanted this because it doesn’t make the team better unless you count cancer removal that hasnt been reported.

To further hammer the point, a 2020 pick could have been at any time, after 2019 draft when you have an heir apparent, pre-season after you check out Davis/Pick/draft pick.

Or trade deadline after you assess depth chart post injury risks for half a season.

Simply, there is no team reason to justify this except they must believe there is addition by subtraction and it doesn’t appear we have heard full story.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We didn’t get good value in trading Howard, and he’s clearly a good RB as indicating by his first two years in the league. Sure, he’s not a great fit so we had to move on, but an effective 2019 7th round pick is basically garbage.

The only thing positive about this is that it does Howard a favor, and let’s him compete for a good contract for next year. He would have gotten less touches here in CHI this year but who cares, at the very MINIMUM he’s an injury insurance.

Throw in the rumors that he could had been traded last year for a 3rd round pick and it looks not so good in hindsight. Oh well.
I agree. Pace blew this one

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
The player must have wanted this because it doesn’t make the team better unless you count cancer removal that hasnt been reported.

To further hammer the point, a 2020 pick could have been at any time, after 2019 draft when you have an heir apparent, pre-season after you check out Davis/Pick/draft pick.

Or trade deadline after you assess depth chart post injury risks for half a season.

Simply, there is no team reason to justify this except they must believe there is addition by subtraction and it doesn’t appear we have heard full story.

No, there's no mystery. The Bears did not see a role for him, he wasn't going to make it to camp. Matt Nagy knows exactly what Howard is and what he can do. He clearly doesn't think he fits what he wants to do. It happens all the time. There is no mystery. None of this is surprising, or confusing. Howard is a fine, one dimensional runner. Pederson puts more of an emphasis on that dimension then Nagy does. Howard is not a difference maker. He's just a guy. He was our guy, now he's not.

If you people paid attention instead of thinking you know everything, you would be less surprised when things everyone knew were going to happen happen.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

It is addition by subtraction...but not because Howard was any type of team cancer. He just wasn't a fit. Pace knew he had a really low trade value, and took what he could get, when he could get it.

Howard was never going to be on the final 53 man roster this season, no matter what the rest of our RBs look like...

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For those that like this trade, will you still like it if the Eagles get a better comp pick for Howard than the 6th they are giving to us?

Pace is a dumbass for this trade, end of story. Could have had a better comp pick than the end of 6th round 2020 pick he netted. Fleeced

Mitchapalooza

For those that like this trade, will you still like it if the Eagles get a better comp pick for Howard than the 6th they are giving to us?

Pace is a dumbass for this trade, end of story. Could have had a better comp pick than the end of 6th round 2020 pick he netted. Fleeced
Well depending on who we sign next FA, who knows if we'd get a comp pick. Also that pick would be in 2021.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is addition by subtraction...but not because Howard was any type of team cancer. He just wasn't a fit. Pace knew he had a really low trade value, and took what he could get, when he could get it.

Howard was never going to be on the final 53 man roster this season, no matter what the rest of our RBs look like...
LMAO, Pace apologists will go to great lengths. Wasn't going to make the 53 you say ?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well depending on who we sign next FA, who knows if we'd get a comp pick. Also that pick would be in 2021.
I understand that. But don't see us being players in FA next season and for a late 6th round pick in 20freaking20, yeah I would roll the dice and try to get a 2021 5th round comp pick for him.