Debunking Meatball Myths: "The Bears are a Cold Weather Team"

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We've all heard this one, probably way more than once.

"Da Baers are a cold weather team. They get off the bus running and they hit hard. They never have a QuArTeRbAcK so we grind out games and win in the COLD like real men."

But how accurate is that statement? Do the Bears actually perform better in cold weather games, or is this just another in a long list of Bears fans fallacies they tell themselves (usually because they only follow the Bears and not the rest of the NFL)?

Lets take a look at the stats. Since "cold weather" is very loosely defined, if defined at all, this is the criteria I'm using:

1) Post-Merger, so 1970 on. Lets be honest, no one cares what happened prior to 1970.
2) Game had to be played outdoors, obviously. No retractable roofs, those are for pussies.
3) Finally, I made the cutoff at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Should it be lower? What qualifies as "cold"? I think 40 is fair. If you've ever played the sport, you know getting hit when its 40 degrees out does not feel great.

Here's the results:

15th with a 48.4% win %.... yikes.

No one even competes with the Steelers. One thing I thought was interesting was Dallas' success in the cold. Maybe we should start considering them a cold weather powerhouse? Green Bay actually destroys Chicago when it comes to cold weather performances.

Lets change up the criteria to 2010 and on, just to take a look at where the Bears rank in recent history. Here's the results: http://pfref.com/tiny/mYCn9

Holy poop - the Bears are actually trending down in cold weather games.

I guess we can put this fallacy to bed once and for all, the Bears are in fact NOT a "cold weather team".

Maybe time to build a roof? Thoughts?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are very few times that I consider Soldier Field to be an advantage to the Bears squad. Those happen to be the times we get fair weather or dome teams coming into Chicago on cold days/nights. That is about it.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There are very few times that I consider Soldier Field to be an advantage to the Bears squad. Those happen to be the times we get fair weather or dome teams coming into Chicago on cold days/nights. That is about it.
If Dallas came into Chicago on a cold day/night, would you consider that an advantage? History says nah..

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You play the Saints at Soldier Field on a cold night versus the Saints at Mercedez-Benz Superdome and I'm going to feel differently about one versus the other, confidence-wise. I would say the same thing about playing the Chargers, Bucs, Dolphins etc. etc. The inverse is sometimes also true. Like when the Bears were gassed against the Dolphins because it was hot with no shade.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You play the Saints at Soldier Field on a cold night versus the Saints at Mercedez-Benz Superdome and I'm going to feel differently about one versus the other, confidence-wise. I would say the same thing about playing the Chargers, Bucs, Dolphins etc. etc. The inverse is sometimes also true. Like when the Bears were gassed against the Dolphins because it was hot with no shade.
Okay, but if you look at the stats I posted in the OP, the bears actually are amongst the 'worst' of the teams that you would consider 'cold weather'

What you're saying is that teams that are used to playing in hot weather won't perform as well in cold weather. Therefore you'd rather play the fair weather teams in the cold. This is generally true, but way less true for the Bears compared to their cold weather peers.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, but if you look at the stats I posted in the OP, the bears actually are amongst the 'worst' of the teams that you would consider 'cold weather'

What you're saying is that teams that are used to playing in hot weather won't perform as well in cold weather. Therefore you'd rather play the fair weather teams in the cold. This is generally true, but way less true for the Bears compared to their cold weather peers.
this data is misleading, it doesn't quantify the quality of the teams playing in the cold.
What was the Bears record over same period i warm games vs steelers record in warm games?

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We've all heard this one, probably way more than once.

"Da Baers are a cold weather team. They get off the bus running and they hit hard. They never have a QuArTeRbAcK so we grind out games and win in the COLD like real men."

But how accurate is that statement? Do the Bears actually perform better in cold weather games, or is this just another in a long list of Bears fans fallacies they tell themselves (usually because they only follow the Bears and not the rest of the NFL)?

Lets take a look at the stats. Since "cold weather" is very loosely defined, if defined at all, this is the criteria I'm using:

1) Post-Merger, so 1970 on. Lets be honest, no one cares what happened prior to 1970.
2) Game had to be played outdoors, obviously. No retractable roofs, those are for pussies.
3) Finally, I made the cutoff at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or below. Should it be lower? What qualifies as "cold"? I think 40 is fair. If you've ever played the sport, you know getting hit when its 40 degrees out does not feel great.

Here's the results:
View attachment 1983

15th with a 48.4% win %.... yikes.

No one even competes with the Steelers. One thing I thought was interesting was Dallas' success in the cold. Maybe we should start considering them a cold weather powerhouse? Green Bay actually destroys Chicago when it comes to cold weather performances.

Lets change up the criteria to 2010 and on, just to take a look at where the Bears rank in recent history. Here's the results: http://pfref.com/tiny/mYCn9

View attachment 1984

Holy poop - the Bears are actually trending down in cold weather games.

I guess we can put this fallacy to bed once and for all, the Bears are in fact NOT a "cold weather team".

Maybe time to build a roof? Thoughts?
Ummmmm...40* is not cold for a football game period unless you are in Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, San Diego. If I see the game day temp is going to be 40* In Chicago during the November-December portion of the season then I’m happier than ol' Blue layin' on the porch chewin' on a big ol' catfish head, Grinning' like a possum eatin' a sweet tater......Well that just dills my pickle .....

@bearmick

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Because we have had long stretches of being a talentless pack of bums.

I would like to see the stats when the talent matches up to the competition and what the outcomes are

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
this data is misleading, it doesn't quantify the quality of the team playing in the cold.
What was the Bears record over same period i warm games vs steelers record in warm games?
Because we have had long stretches of being a talentless pack of bums.

I would like to see the stats when the talent matches up to the competition and what the outcomes are
Go ahead and dig up the data brothers. I'm eating brunch, I can't do literally all the work.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The bears have actually performed BETTER in games that are 41 degrees or more (50.3% win %) than games 40 degrees or below.

The Bears are literally not a cold weather team.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's a bit relative because we've been about a .500 team under any conditions over the period but the numbers are certainly good enough to throw out any advantage to cold weather within your parameters. I think GB is likely a noticeable factor in our stat as well. I personally think anything above freezing is not cold weather in football.

The current team is certainly not specifically built for cold weather.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Go ahead and dig up the data brothers. I'm eating brunch, I can't do literally all the work.
Are you getting mimosas with your girlfriend's and then going for pedicures?

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Are you getting mimosas with your girlfriend's and then going for pedicures?
This is rich, coming from the guy that moved out of Chi cus he couldn't handle the cold. Moved all the way to pussyville USA, ABQ, so he could gargle meth bombs and look at gas stations.

Be gone thot

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
This is rich, coming from the guy that moved out of Chi cus he couldn't handle the cold. Moved all the way to pussyville USA, ABQ, so he could gargle meth bombs and look at gas stations.

Be gone thot
Enjoy your brunch baby girl. Hopefully you don't get too white girl wasted and assault the lady painting your toenails.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Is losing to the Dolphins 28-31 "because of the morning heat" a meatball myth?

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Enjoy your brunch baby girl. Hopefully you don't get too white girl wasted and assault the lady painting your toenails.
You seem upset at my Saturday brunch buffet adventure. I'm sorry your local 7/11 is only serving twisters and jumbo dogs this morning.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A home game is a home game and with that comes some sort of advantage. I think Vegas gives is a few points when considering game. The temp? Who knows. I would say under 40 is cold others may say freezing. Regardless the Bear weather myth things are different from the genesis of this myth.

Heated benches, technical fabrics, better training, conditioning and stretching all make a difference. I liken this to the age old “Bear hangover”. “The Bears lost but boy is the other team beat up” meathead mentality.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
You seem upset at my Saturday brunch buffet adventure. I'm sorry your local 7/11 is only serving twisters and jumbo dogs this morning.

Imagine going to a buffet and then bragging about it in 2019.