Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Anyone have a community garden where they live? One a few blocks in my neighborhood. Might go over and plant some stuff.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Everybody should rip up their lawns and create food gardens.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I need to start planting full size fruit trees. I just saw a cherry tree out here that had to be 35 feet tall. I didn't realize they got that big around these parts.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I need to start planting full size fruit trees. I just saw a cherry tree out here that had to be 35 feet tall. I didn't realize they got that big around these parts.
The damm deer here ate most of the branches off the apple trees i planted last fall. I was going to plant pear and cherry trees but not now. Im too lazy to fence it .

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully that means "big cherries"

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Never tried it, are you sure the tree is really that big @vodkatonics on Monday.
It was a guess, I didn't get out a tape measure. It was just a big cherry tree, I didn't realize they grew that well here...

If it kept the birds away from my tomatoes I'd happily plant one.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a guess, I didn't get out a tape measure. It was just a big cherry tree, I didn't realize they grew that well here...

If it kept the birds away from my tomatoes I'd happily plant one.

Birds? Not a problem here in NE IL, that's a problem I've never had or heard of. What type of birds and what are they doing?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Birds? Not a problem here in NE IL, that's a problem I've never had or heard of. What type of birds and what are they doing?
We have a neighbor that feeds birds, which I'm cool with, but we have a problem with a few birds poking holes in our tomatoes.

I'm actually going to start counter ripening more this year. It sucked last year going out knowing you had ten ripe tomatoes and six of them had holes in them. Started pulling a bit earlier at the end of last year.

I think it's a few different birds but there are some grackles that come around from time to time and a few other medium sized with long beaks that I have no clue what they are. I've watched them in the tomatoes and seen them this year trying to steal the first blackberry of the season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We have a neighbor that feeds birds, which I'm cool with, but we have a problem with a few birds poking holes in our tomatoes.

I'm actually going to start counter ripening more this year. It sucked last year going out knowing you had ten ripe tomatoes and six of them had holes in them. Started pulling a bit earlier at the end of last year.

I think it's a few different birds but there are some grackles that come around from time to time and a few other medium sized with long beaks that I have no clue what they are. I've watched them in the tomatoes and seen them this year trying to steal the first blackberry of the season.
perhaps some easy netting?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not sure but the birds in this area have more feeding options/sources here? Not that that helps you, I have read that those plastic owls placed near the garden present the look of a predatorial bird that may help to spook your garden marauders.