670 or 1000

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boers and Bernstein was the best sports radio show this city has had in 20 years. Boers and McNeil prior to B&B.

If Terry didn't get jaw cancer they probably would still be on the air today.
Even before Boers got cancer he was winding his career down. He was doing a lot of shows from home prior to the diagnosis. The cancer actually got him back in the studio more ironically as his treatment center/doctors etc were downtown and it got him out of the house.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even before Boers got cancer he was winding his career down. He was doing a lot of shows from home prior to the diagnosis. The cancer actually got him back in the studio more ironically as his treatment center/doctors etc were downtown and it got him out of the house.

Is that info in his book?

I've been meaning to give that a read but keep forgetting.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if B&B was ever a thing. ESPN stole half the market share by merely existing and running syndicated programming. Kind of odd when you consider all the revisionist history of "loyal listeners to the Score"...I guess people listened to idiots like Mike North simply because they had no other option. I found it hilarious that Terry Boers put out a book...that must have been the nicheiest of niche markets in publishing history.

I remember when Mac/Jurko/Harry on ESPN surpassed B&B in the evening commute listenership numbers, 670 started changing up the station. I don't have an affinity for either station...I listen to 670 Mully/Haugh on my drive to work, but the afternoon/evening shows on both stations are unlistenable. I think its strange that, despite the competition, neither station really does much innovation. They both seem content to divide the market...Mac shuffles back and forth, Carmen DeFalco is still employed, Jurkovic still doesn't watch sports, Dan Bernstein manages to get on the air for a couple hours (perhaps to avert a lawsuit)...such stagnation.
So you want new hosts? New segments?

I honestly have no idea how you make radio feel less stagnant. Parkins, McKnight, Haugh, all newer to the score, but it doesn't reenergize me as a listener. I think it's the format that keeps it stagnant. Plus the fact that the shows have been too long each day. I don't remember the last time I listened live at this point. I'll catch a podcast here and there if I see a guest/topic, but I just have too many other options to force myself to listen to the filler.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:

He does discuss how he turned more towards family (grandkids) in the early mid 00s and doesn't really care to force himself to watch teams he doesn't like anymore (iirc it sounded like he watched an occasional baseball game but that's it).

I got through 60% of the book, then it sat on my nightstand for a year before I just donated it. I wouldn't bother.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Not sure when this was but based on the Arbitron data B&B was a huge winner for the Score for years. Waddle & Silvy never came close to touching them. B & B was far and away the most popular sports talk show in the market. It was never really close. When Boers left it took a nose dive.

Ratings are always wonky/remy, but this is from 2005:

"Boers and Bernstein" did very well in the last book of ratings, earning a 4.5 among adult men. But no one can touch "Mac, Jurko & Harry," which pulled in an impressive 6.8 in the same category.

I agree that B&B had killed ESPN in the ratings up to about that point in time, as had 670 vs. 1000 in general. Mac/Jurko/Harry was the first ESPN show of any kind to top its 670 counterpart. Perhaps B&B regained the lead when ESPN broke up the Mac/Jurko/Harry show, but I'm not even sure if B&B was in the evening commute timeslot anymore.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

I honestly have no idea how you make radio feel less stagnant. Parkins, McKnight, Haugh, all newer to the score, but it doesn't reenergize me as a listener. I think it's the format that keeps it stagnant. Plus the fact that the shows have been too long each day. I don't remember the last time I listened live at this point. I'll catch a podcast here and there if I see a guest/topic, but I just have too many other options to force myself to listen to the filler.

Parkins and McKnight are refreshing. Haugh is "meh". I like all three because they keep the focus on sports. I guess that might be "too serious" for this thread, but I've had my 15-20 year fill of Silvy's whiny voice, Bernstein arguing with plant Special person callers, Jurkovic not watching sports, Mac showing up occasionally, etc.

I don't think I am asking for too much. But I have low expectations as well. I would never seek out any of this stuff in podcast format...there just isn't enough substance to warrant that type of listen.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He does discuss how he turned more towards family (grandkids) in the early mid 00s and doesn't really care to force himself to watch teams he doesn't like anymore (iirc it sounded like he watched an occasional baseball game but that's it).

I got through 60% of the book, then it sat on my nightstand for a year before I just donated it. I wouldn't bother.

Did you pay full price for the book, or did you get it from the thrift store for $1-$2?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Don't know. Never read his book. Just info from friends I have that work at WSCR etc.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Listening live isn't an option for me. The airtime is somewhere between 30 and 40% commercials. Can't do it.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ratings are always wonky/remy, but this is from 2005:

"Boers and Bernstein" did very well in the last book of ratings, earning a 4.5 among adult men. But no one can touch "Mac, Jurko & Harry," which pulled in an impressive 6.8 in the same category.

I agree that B&B had killed ESPN in the ratings up to about that point in time, as had 670 vs. 1000 in general. Mac/Jurko/Harry was the first ESPN show of any kind to top its 670 counterpart. Perhaps B&B regained the lead when ESPN broke up the Mac/Jurko/Harry show, but I'm not even sure if B&B was in the evening commute timeslot anymore.
I know head to head with Waddle and Silvy B&B was killing it. They also switch around the time slots a lot and ESPN 1000 had the Cubs for a while too which skewed some of the ratings books because it was given Cubs game listenership to the afternoon show when it was actually baseball.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you pay full price for the book, or did you get it from the thrift store for $1-$2?
I really wanted to hear about his feud with Murph. Not my best purchase for sure.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I really wanted to hear about his feud with Murph. Not my best purchase for sure.

Those were always my favorite moments on either station, when the hosts would rip on other station members. Made it seem as dysfunctional as CCS.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I know head to head with Waddle and Silvy B&B was killing it.

Not surprising. At least B&B invoked a response...Waddle/Silvy is like eating at Applebees. Complete waste of time. Of all the things that have transpired in the Chicago Sports Radio world, the fact that Waddle/Silvy is still the #1 show that ESPN trots out is the most remarkable to me. It's like the Bears sticking with Cutler for 10 years.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not surprising. At least B&B invoked a response...Waddle/Silvy is like eating at Applebees. Complete waste of time. Of all the things that have transpired in the Chicago Sports Radio world, the fact that Waddle/Silvy is still the #1 show that ESPN trots out is the most remarkable to me. It's like the Bears sticking with Cutler for 10 years.
Couldn’t stand “bores” or “bernstein”
I would rather listen to the opinion of the people who actually played a sport than just an opinion from someone who thinks they know it all. When I want to know about Doka forming systems I don’t call a politician. Silvy is kinda of annoying though.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest value if found in the score are the educated guests they bring on. I do enjoy learning something about sports.

Bernstein’s act wore thin with me many years ago.

Holmes has turned into a pedestrian voice.

I am ok with Mac.

Parkins is probably the most listenable and reasonable person there.

I log more audible time than I do score time in the car.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure when this was but based on the Arbitron data B&B was a huge winner for the Score for years. Waddle & Silvy never came close to touching them. B & B was far and away the most popular sports talk show in the market. It was never really close. When Boers left it took a nose dive.

Welcome back!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
only really listen for mully and hanley in the morning. If its some national news that is breaking its usually to 1000, but they seem to have more banter than news. Otherwise its 670 unless Lawrence Holmes is on.