- Saturday Night Live
- Real Housewives
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians

Launches in April

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
is everyone going to do a streaming service now?

I do like some of the rerun shows on there

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
is everyone going to do a streaming service now?

I do like some of the rerun shows on there

Yes. Disney is launching one too.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why now... streaming being a big deal started like a decade ago.

Lol what made all these networks decide to build their own streaming services after Netflix/HULU/Prime already built the tech?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why now... streaming being a big deal started like a decade ago.

Lol what made all these networks decide to build their own streaming services after Netflix/HULU/Prime already built the tech?
Because now it's turned into a battle of IP. Everyone wants to fight for every little slice.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Netflix is acting in bad faith with a lot of contracts. It's just the pot calling the kettle at this point, which never stopped any big ego entity from huffing and puffing.
In this case, what does NBC have to lose? They lose short money on these projects, make up later with whatever service provider and still sell their shit on another platform to make up any prior losses. They will be ahead no matter what.

Whereas Netflix loses subs for one reason or another, they are holding the bag on whatever content they own and take losses on. The only way Netflix can hedge their content, is to basically give up to the next #1 or #2 big service or hope there is a small rival that can make a dent to work with.

As far as chess moves go, Netflix now has the least amount of options without making a drastic change in the next 18 months, or line up a solid merger(which buys them more time). Steady decline, and yes, they will have growth oscillations within that decline.

Netflix can't buy Roku, becomes a conflict, short term surge at best.
They can't buy Tubi, completely different model, all free with ads content is littered with non-exclusive licenses. No advantage.
They can't buy someone that has a good premium library, because that will essentially cancel a lot of contracts. So buying Starz(just one example) would be a net loss.
And NBC wont buy Netflix unless they are undervalued heavily. Well, what is a good way to undervalue a company that is arguably at the front of the pack for subscription services? Compete with them, dilute, favor competitors for a while, then NBC-Universal does what it does best, merge. And the only thing stopping that is the one other company that can do the same, merge with Disney, Netflix's final hedge against NBC acquiring them. And if you think NBC is the dinosaur in this race, just look at who NBC has overcome and purchased over the last 40 years, they seem to always swallow up the hot shots.

Hulu is in a decent spot because they snatched up a lot of licenses for a great rate early on, eventually those contracts will expire. While they have a great opportunity to make a move and stay in position for decades, Hulu could act too conservatively and die just as fast.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Netflix is acting in bad faith with a lot of contracts. It's just the pot calling the kettle at this point, which never stopped any big ego entity from huffing and puffing.
In this case, what does NBC have to lose? They lose short money on these projects, make up later with whatever service provider and still sell their shit on another platform to make up any prior losses. They will be ahead no matter what.

Whereas Netflix loses subs for one reason or another, they are holding the bag on whatever content they own and take losses on. The only way Netflix can hedge their content, is to basically give up to the next #1 or #2 big service or hope there is a small rival that can make a dent to work with.

As far as chess moves go, Netflix now has the least amount of options without making a drastic change in the next 18 months, or line up a solid merger(which buys them more time). Steady decline, and yes, they will have growth oscillations within that decline.

Netflix can't buy Roku, becomes a conflict, short term surge at best.
They can't buy Tubi, completely different model, all free with ads content is littered with non-exclusive licenses. No advantage.
They can't buy someone that has a good premium library, because that will essentially cancel a lot of contracts. So buying Starz would be a net loss.
And NBC wont buy Netflix unless they are undervalued heavily. Well, what is a good way to undervalue a company that is arguably at the front of the pack for subscription services? Compete with them, dilute, favor competitors for a while, then NBC-Universal does what it does best, merge. And the only thing stopping that is the one other company that can do the same, merge with Disney, Netflix's final hedge against NBC acquiring them. And if you think NBC is the dinosaur in this race, just look at who NBC has overcome and purchased over the last 40 years, they seem to always swallow up the hot shots.

Hulu is in a decent spot because they snatched up a lot of licenses for a great rate early on, but that those contracts will expire. So they have a great opportunity to make a move and stay in position for decades, possibly. But act too conservatively, they can die just as fast.

In the end the consumer loses and pays piece meal for everything we need. Its complicated, a hassle, and getting expensive.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
In the end the consumer loses and pays piece meal for everything we need. Its complicated, a hassle, and getting expensive.
Yeah, I'll be honest I don't plan on purchasing anymore streaming services. I have two already and that's to much as it is. I don't watch enough TV. If there is a show I want to watch on Disney/NBC, I'll just bum a friends login and venmo him $5 bux.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here's a question - when are they going to be make it so you are able to purchase just one sports game. Like if I want to watch Dallas-Miami this week, why can't I go to NFL.com and buy it for 5-10 bux to watch? The same with the NBA, same with the MLB and NHL, etc, etc. Why do they make their product so fucking difficult to get?

Btw, I know the answer to my question, it's just frustrating. Let me pay for single games.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a question - when are they going to be make it so you are able to purchase just one sports game. Like if I want to watch Dallas-Miami this week, why can't I go to NFL.com and buy it for 5-10 bux to watch? The same with the NBA, same with the MLB and NHL, etc, etc. Why do they make their product so fucking difficult to get?

Btw, I know the answer to my question, it's just frustrating. Let me pay for single games.
The real question is gonna be, who will be the first to offer true a la cart TV options? Because wouldn't many people want to pay for exactly what they want to watch rather than pay for 200 channels they never use or whatever?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Consumer has options, if they are willing to explore them. Consumer doesn't lose, because more content is produced, more competition, and more of a push to bring previously missing TV shows back, with full on restoration and remastering efforts.

I only have time to watch so much TV(or whatever people want to call this new era for post-cable) in a day. Even 10 years ago, it was fairly normal to pay $50-100 a month, and all you really got in return was 95% infomercials and round-table/talk TV, 4% reality/ entertainment shit, and 1% original content. Now most savvy households do not pay $50-100 a month(using this number as a median, some people pay/paid $300+, bare that in mind as well). You now pay for what you want(or your loyalty to any service is clouding your ability to ditch one service for another). And if you really want to ditch all of it, just keep a good ISP service and learn to do a basic VPN setup, you get all the content you can find (while gray or full illegal, debate aside about that and the ethics of it, this is still how the consumer combats content providers and will be true for all of our lifetimes).

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Because now it's turned into a battle of IP. Everyone wants to fight for every little slice.
If you invest, keep in mind that Amazon holds all the storage for these streamers. They play is Amazon, storage being one of many reasons they keep growing.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you invest, keep in mind that Amazon holds all the storage for these streamers. They play is Amazon, storage being one of many reasons they keep growing.
Not only streaming, infrastructure in general. AWS is a monster.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
NBC's streaming service will be called "Peacock". Some details:

Reboots/Original series:

- Saved by the Bell
- Battlestar Galactica
- Punky Brewster
- Dr. Death
- Rutherford Falls (Ed Helms)
- A.P. Bio
- Psych 2: Lassie Come Home

Reruns:

- The Office
- Cheers
- Frasier
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- Parks and Rec
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- 30 Rock
- Saturday Night Live
- Real Housewives
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians

Launches in April

Does this mean they are taking a great show (A.P. Bio) that has been on free TV for two seasons and moving it to pay TV?

That is not advanced tech, that's just good old fashioned greed.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does this mean they are taking a great show (A.P. Bio) that has been on free TV for two seasons and moving it to pay TV?

That is not advanced tech, that's just good old fashioned greed.

No. The show was not renewed for another season.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes it was. The first two seasons were on free TV, season three will be on a streaming service that costs money.

Greed.

https://tvline.com/2019/07/17/ap-bio-renewed-season-3-nbc-universal-streaming/

It was renewed AFTER NBC announced streaming. It was cancelled 2 months before that:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We are saying pretty much the same thing. It was cancelled then after NBC announced the streaming service, they decided to bring it back as part of that.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We are saying pretty much the same thing. It was cancelled then after NBC announced the streaming service, they decided to bring it back as part of that.

We agree, I'm not talking about the timing, I'm talking about a free TV show that I enjoy now costing money. It's bait and switch, sleazy and greedy. Because of that there is no way in hell I would ever subscribe to that service.