Official CCS Grillmasters thread

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I may have mentioned this technique in this thread already, but in case I didn't...

Making some t-bones tonight. About 1.5" thick. I take the bottom charcoal grate out of my Weber kettle, and put 3 foil wrapped bricks in the bottom in a triangle sort of. Charcoal grate goes on top of that. This raises the heating surface by like 3-4", producing a better sear. Full load of charcoal goes on that from a chimney.

Steaks: allow to come to room temp, pat dry, grind on some sea salt and coarse black pepper, cook hot and fast only flipping once, rest 5-10, and that's it.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Steak is on the menu boys. Let it hit 140, pulled, and carry over should bring it to like 145. These aren't as thick as I thought they were in the package (closer to 1" than 1.5"), but should still be good...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I may have mentioned this technique in this thread already, but in case I didn't...

Making some t-bones tonight. About 1.5" thick. I take the bottom charcoal grate out of my Weber kettle, and put 3 foil wrapped bricks in the bottom in a triangle sort of. Charcoal grate goes on top of that. This raises the heating surface by like 3-4", producing a better sear. Full load of charcoal goes on that from a chimney.

Steaks: allow to come to room temp, pat dry, grind on some sea salt and coarse black pepper, cook hot and fast only flipping once, rest 5-10, and that's it.
I follow almost the same method as this except for a few things.

I poke with a fork a bunch of times and rub with avocado or Olive oil before salt and pepper.

I cook over propane, and I only do 4-5 minutes a side depending on thickness and cut.

Go for a rare/blue rare center depending on cut. So my IT is a little lower than yours more in the 130-135 range.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I poke with a fork a bunch of times and rub with avocado or Olive oil before salt and pepper.

I cook over propane, and I only do 4-5 minutes a side depending on thickness and cut.

Go for a rare/blue rare center depending on cut. So my IT is a little lower than yours more in the 130-135 range.
I think I was less than 5 mins a side, probably between 3-4, but that shit was super hot and these were more thin than normal. My preference is more rare, but other people in the house don't share that view. I guess I could start flipping / pulling my steak faster, but I don't care that much.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I poke with a fork a bunch of times
and rub with avocado or Olive oil before salt and pepper.

The fact that it's already cut into steak portions means it died a long time before arriving in ur kitchen fyi

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
On the menu tonight: chicken breasts on the Weber Kettle...

Pounded the chicken and marinated for ~ 4hrs in olive oil, soy sauce, worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, ginger, honey, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cooked over high heat and pulled at 160, carry over to 165.

On the side, a cold tortellini salad: fresh cheese tortellini, cucumber, kalamata olives, tomato, feta, shaved parm, basil, red onion with a homemade vinaigrette (olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregeno, salt / pepper).

I may have missed an ingredient or two, but that's the gist of it. Not too bad for a Tuesday night.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
ok, going to be trying spare ribs today I think. They were priced right so a good chance to test out this new to me grill works with smoking

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ok, going to be trying spare ribs today I think. They were priced right so a good chance to test out this new to me grill works with smoking
did you finish smoking them yet? What were they stuffed with?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
did you finish smoking them yet? What were they stuffed with?
Had to delay it.

You all spew enough that I am sure there will be plenty to stuff it with and have it done in 30 minutes.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Had to delay it.

You all spew enough that I am sure there will be plenty to stuff it with and have it done in 30 minutes.
you stuff meat you're grillin with people's SPEW???

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Reviving this thread. I've been cooking on the grill / smoker a ton, but haven't been posting in here.

One of my new favorite things for a quick weeknight meal: boneless skinless chicken thighs on the Weber kettle. They retain moisture well (much easier than breasts), take to absorbing flavors from marinades quickly, and are generally very forgiving.

Lots of options for marinades / spicing...

- Greek twist: Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, etc
- Asian twist: Soy sauce, ginger, lemongrass, honey, garlic, etc
- Mojo
- Chimichurri
- Dry rubbed and then tossed in hot sauce post cook for some sandwiches
- Etc, etc. Be creative.

Cooking them is pretty simple. I set up the kettle for 2 zone heat. Cook them hot to get some char, maybe 2-3 mins a side, and then transfer to the cooler side and cover until they reach an internal temp around 165.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Reviving this thread. I've been cooking on the grill / smoker a ton, but haven't been posting in here.

One of my new favorite things for a quick weeknight meal: boneless skinless chicken thighs on the Weber kettle. They retain moisture well (much easier than breasts), take to absorbing flavors from marinades quickly, and are generally very forgiving.

Lots of options for marinades / spicing...

- Greek twist: Olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, etc
- Asian twist: Soy sauce, ginger, lemongrass, honey, garlic, etc
- Mojo
- Chimichurri
- Dry rubbed and then tossed in hot sauce post cook for some sandwiches
- Etc, etc. Be creative.

Cooking them is pretty simple. I set up the kettle for 2 zone heat. Cook them hot to get some char, maybe 2-3 mins a side, and then transfer to the cooler side and cover until they reach an internal temp around 165.
I actually do a lot of boneless thighs on the grill. They come out great. I'm trying to remember what the wife marinades them with. I think it's just kinda a normal BBQ sauce and some spices.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another chicken thigh marinade, equal parts oil, honey, soy sauce. Add some chopped garlic and onion flakes.

Half Dijon mustard and maple syrup works well too.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Past 2 years I've done an August BBQ where I smoke a big full packer brisket, pork butts, and ribs

I had my knee scoped in August, so I delayed the BBQ.

Getting cooler but should be ok, doing it in 2 weeks.

Put in an order for a brisket, asked him to pick me a good one 15-20lbs, set it aside and age it for a week or so, and then 2 pork butts 7-8lbs, and 3 racks of ribs.

Thursday 2 weeks from now ill start the brisket around 10pm, took off Friday, will stay up and smoke it all night and then throw the pork butts on around 8am, then start on the ribs noonish.

Will take pics and share as I go thru the cook.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Past 2 years I've done an August BBQ where I smoke a big full packer brisket, pork butts, and ribs

I had my knee scoped in August, so I delayed the BBQ.

Getting cooler but should be ok, doing it in 2 weeks.

Put in an order for a brisket, asked him to pick me a good one 15-20lbs, set it aside and age it for a week or so, and then 2 pork butts 7-8lbs, and 3 racks of ribs.

Thursday 2 weeks from now ill start the brisket around 10pm, took off Friday, will stay up and smoke it all night and then throw the pork butts on around 8am, then start on the ribs noonish.

Will take pics and share as I go thru the cook.
You have friends? j/k

Can't wait to see the pics