I am still bullish on Nagy...

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know there are many reasons to dislike some of his recent coaching decisions, particularly regarding play-calling. As a coach he inherited Trubisky. It's his job to try to squeeze whatever talent possible out of that 1+ round pick. I think it's becoming clear (if it hasn't been clear already) that for one reason or another, Trubisky has not shown the growth that was anticipated by a 3rd year player (even Mark Helfrich came out and said so in so many words). Here's why I am still Bullish on Nagy:

1. He is not a bullshitter. He's honest with the media to the extent he can be
  2. He does not throw his players under the bus. When pressed on specific player mistakes, he manages to discuss where there's opportunity for improvement without tearing the player down.
  3. He's honest about where his play-calling could have been better.
  4. He's trying to keep a positive attitude at a time when it would be very easy to lose the team. I have no doubt that behind closed doors there is more open accountability.
He actually reminds me of a young Pete Carroll. Before going to Seattle and winning a Super Bowl, Pete Carroll was run out of New York (he was the head-coach of the Jets). Not just as a coach, but as a leader, Nagy has some very admirable qualities that generally people admire.

That's not to say he's perfect obviously. I'd like to see him improve as a coach in the following areas (with some scouting notes thrown in).
  1. Let's just come clean and admit that the offense should have played more in pre-season. Clearly Trubisky, the-line, the entire offense needed the work.
  2. Please turn the play-calling over to Helfrich. You can still override at times and get your play-calling fix in.
  3. I'm sure it's clear to you (as well as Pace) that the offensive line is a liability (despite them generally getting better- again, maybe that pre-season play was needed).
  4. Clearly your red-zone schemes are not original enough to fool defenses.
  5. Finally, I am sad to say (as I was an original Trubisky believer) , it's (beyond) time to move on from Trubisky. I don't know that it's going to be feasible for this season, but next year there had better be a plan to replace him.
  6. We need another monster defensive end. Hicks is awesome. He's also reached 28, which for many players in the NFL is when the injuries start catching up.
  7. Probably not a bad idea to get more speed at receiver. I've said this since the pre-season, and still believe it's true (kinda sucks to see Marvin Hall going off in Detroit).

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Nagy rode a great defense and other than a 6 game streak where the bears scored, his other 20 games the offense has been quite bad.

Trubs isn't good but did Daniel do much better?

His system doesn't work in Chicago.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy rode a great defense and other than a 6 game streak where the bears scored, his other 20 games the offense has been quite bad.

Well I can definitely see why you would come to those conclusions. But from a leadership perspective, it's easy to lead when things are great. It's easy to pilot a boat on a beautiful, sunny day with calm winds. True leadership comes from the ability to keep the ship afloat when it's taking on water. I think we can all agree that the Bears are at the "taking on water" stage of the season. If he can keep everyone motivated and keep working, things will improve. He just has to weather the storm, and convince his players that weathering the storm will produce benefits, which I think it will.

Remember it's not only Nagy's job to be a strategist (which it's obviously easy to question his strategic and tactical decisions while sitting at 3-4), but he's also the leader of the team. A good leader can overcome bad tactical (and occasionally bad strategic) decisions. Remember, had Pineiro made even one of his field-goals on Sunday, we'd still be talking about the team's mistakes, but nevertheless happy for a close win, and optimistic that the run-game has started to gain traction. The margin of error between perspectives is a few plays that could have (should have, even) gone the other way. The team just has to believe in him, and believe in themselves.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Coaches and their systems have to work immediately or we have to fire them.

Lol Bears fans...

I have doubts/questions about Nagy, let him proceed and dig his own grave or turn it around.

I have serious doubts about Trubisky, let him play out the season and dig his own grave or turn it around.

I get the frustration, but if you've watched football for much of your adult life, surely you notice the consistently successful teams stick with a coach and QB for a long time.

Consistently failing teams dump GMs, Coaches, and QBs fast and furious, only to do it all over again a year or so later.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
He’s shook. He’s making absolutely terrible play calls, and he’s managing the game like a clown. To make matters worse he comes out and says he wouldn’t change the decisions he made.

He should’ve ran a play instead of kneeling before the kick. He throws piniero under the bus, and he says he made the right call. He’s a buffoon.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you saying that you would expect Chase Daniel to effectively run this offense? I have to believe there is a reason he hasn't sniffed a starting job.

A big part of why this offense isn't good is because Nagy can't rely on Mitch to read or throw most NFL routes. That limits play calling. Beyond that, he is grasping at straws to manufacture offense and not doing a good job. He needs to simplify and he is instead getting too cute. I don't know what the future holds for him, but I haven't seen enough to make me write a final evaluation.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Daniel has 0 physical tools. Laughable arm strength and looks as good as Trubisky when he plays.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am 100% committed to seeing what Matt Nagy can do with a QB who is not a total bust.

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
I'm shorting Nagy stock. He "might" be creative but not a great game caller and true general.

Reactions: DC

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy is not the answer. Next.

He's making mistakes that he made last year, this year. That shows that he's either too stupid to adapt, or has too much of an ego to do so.

meangreek

Liked Posts:
Did we buy in to soon? I dont think Burton, Miller, and Gabriel are average NFL starters . Then you have Shaheen, 1 play Patterson and Mr invisible Cohen.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He’s shook. He’s making absolutely terrible play calls, and he’s managing the game like a clown. To make matters worse he comes out and says he wouldn’t change the decisions he made.

He should’ve ran a play instead of kneeling before the kick. He throws piniero under the bus, and he says he made the right call. He’s a buffoon.

Peter King thinks Nagy is protecting Trubisky because he doesn't have another starter to run out there this year. He thinks Nagy has lost faith in Trubisky, and of course he's not going to say that in a post game interview, so that's why he said he'd make that same call again.

Reactions: DC

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Nagy is not the answer. Next.

He's making mistakes that he made last year, this year. That shows that he's either too stupid to adapt, or has too much of an ego to do so.
Can the same be said for Mitch or just this stupid dumb fuck of a head coach we have.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can the same be said for Mitch or just this stupid dumb fuck of a head coach we have.

I mean, unless a miracle occurs for the both of them, they're both done. Maybe they can look back at their time in Chicago, reflect, and better themselves. But I feel like they are both done in Chicago. I may be a bit premature on that, but if it looks like someone can't cut it, how long do you give them to turn it around? I would give them this season. If by the end of the season, we can't say 100% that Matt Nagy and Mitch Trubisky are definitely going to lead this team to greatness, get rid of them.

I don't know who would have the harder road. Trubisky is clearly still a work in progress. Has has the physical tools, he just hasn't put it all together. His ability to read defenses pre and post-snap, then progress through his reads, and step into his throws and deliver a good ball are in question. He should be able to do all of these things on almost every play. Aside from when his oline straight up whiffs on blocks(which happens way too often). But what ends up happening is, you get 1 or 2 of those things. And that's not good enough.

Matt Nagy needs to take his head out of his ass and he really needs to look inwardly. He keeps doubling down on clear mistakes. The biggest reason this team is failing is him imo. He's coaching scared. He's not adapting to what other coaches are doing, and they are owning him. That's not a good look. He's a straight-up bad offensive coordinator. He makes his players look bad. The team appears to lack discipline. It's just a mess right now. This is not at ALL the team it was last year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has been to slow to adapt. That is a legit criticism of him.

But I am sure he was as shocked as us that QB flamed out like a total bust and the OL sucked until Long was benched.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I mean, unless a miracle occurs for the both of them, they're both done. Maybe they can look back at their time in Chicago, reflect, and better themselves. But I feel like they are both done in Chicago. I may be a bit premature on that, but if it looks like someone can't cut it, how long do you give them to turn it around? I would give them this season. If by the end of the season, we can't say 100% that Matt Nagy and Mitch Trubisky are definitely going to lead this team to greatness, get rid of them.

I don't know who would have the harder road. Trubisky is clearly still a work in progress. Has has the physical tools, he just hasn't put it all together. His ability to read defenses pre and post-snap, then progress through his reads, and step into his throws and deliver a good ball are in question. He should be able to do all of these things on almost every play. Aside from when his oline straight up whiffs on blocks(which happens way too often). But what ends up happening is, you get 1 or 2 of those things. And that's not good enough.

Matt Nagy needs to take his head out of his ass and he really needs to look inwardly. He keeps doubling down on clear mistakes. The biggest reason this team is failing is him imo. He's coaching scared. He's not adapting to what other coaches are doing, and they are owning him. That's not a good look. He's a straight-up bad offensive coordinator. He makes his players look bad. The team appears to lack discipline. It's just a mess right now. This is not at ALL the team it was last year.

Trubisky is done; Matt Nagy is not.

Mitch Trubisky is never going to "put it all together." He has raw athleticism, but he's a bad football player...aka, "He sucks." He's not going to go somewhere else and turn it around. Unless he wants to bounce around the league like Mark Sanchez, but why? He's never going to get a better contract than the one he got from Pace.

There's still hope for Nagy. I want to see what he can do with a competent QB first. Even a rookie HC who was fast-tracked to the job is going to learn on the job. I mean, we'd have to tank the rest of the way for Nagy to get fired.