Why did the Bears draft Mitch Trubisky over Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson?

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:

Long interesting read. Start out with Pace falling in love with Trubisky. Then talks about what the Chiefs and Texans saw in Mahomes and Watson.. Finally argues wif there is a future for Trubisky...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Funny, John Fox and Dave Ragone rated Watson as the best guy. Chiefs GM only had eyes for Mahomes, then Reid and his staff came on board after interviewing all three. They don't go into detail about how Houston had them ranked. Guess I never gave Fox enough credit. Pace should've did his due diligence.

Watson sensed early on the Bears’ interest in him was minimal and shrugged past it. People in his camp, however, were perplexed. Quincy Avery, one of Watson’s private quarterback coaches and a close confidant, scratched his head.

“It just seemed like a big mistake on their part,” Avery said.

If the Bears were truly on the hunt for a franchise-changing quarterback, Avery wondered, why wouldn’t they do the full gamut of homework on a two-time recipient of the Davey O’Brien Award, given to the top quarterback in college football? Why hadn’t the Bears held a private workout with Watson or taken him to dinner as they had with Trubisky and Patrick Mahomes?

Instead, they met with Watson during the assembly-line interview process at the combine and for a bit after his pro-day workout. That was it.

“Honestly,” Avery said, “I thought that either they had some kind of wild process where they were going to try to sneak under the radar and grab Deshaun because they had heard so many positive things about him. Or it was an organization with a bunch of dysfunction that wasn’t prepared to be successful or didn’t have the pieces in place to truly take the next steps.”

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Combine workouts. Just like Kevin White, how could you not fall in love with a 4.35 in the 40??

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Fascinating read. Don’t have a problem with their secrecy because that part worked.

I love how they highlighted Pace mentioning brees 8 times after the draft.

They were so locked in on finding somebody to fit that brees mold at qb it sounds like they had brees blinders on and didn’t realize they had the next favre staring them in the face ‬

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Fascinating read. Don’t have a problem with their secrecy because that parted worked.

I don't know, did it? Of the teams that seemed to be looking to draft a QB, the Bears and the Browns had Trubisky at #1. Two teams notoriously bad at QB evaluation were fighting for the same QB. It would've been better ff the Browns leap frogged the Bears.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I don't know, did it? Of the teams that seemed to be looking to draft a QB, the Bears and the Browns had Trubisky at #1. Two teams notoriously bad at QB evaluation were fighting for the same QB. It would've been better ff the Browns leap frogged the Bears.

Gotta separate that part from who they actually picked. It worked from the perspective of convincing teams the Bears weren't interested in a QB. Thats why they got such a cheap deal moving up in the draft... it was pocket change for qb even if it ended up being the wrong guy.

Also it was definitely more than just the Bears and Browns. Even with this article saying the Chiefs only wanted Mahomes we should take that with a grain of salt. There was word around draft time they had Trubisky first. I'm sure the Texans had one of Mahomes or Trubisky ahead of Watson but I'm sure they'd never admit it either.

Personnel guys always like to change history so they can say they had it right all along because it cant be disproved. Similar to how Bill Polian still claims he had a 1st round grade on tom brady

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Gotta separate that part from who they actually picked. It worked from the perspective of convincing teams the Bears weren't interested in a QB. Thats why they got such a cheap deal moving up in the draft... it was pocket change for qb

Also it was definitely more than just the Bears and Browns. Even with this article saying the Chiefs only wanted Mahomes we should take that with a grain of salt. There was word around draft time they had Trubisky first. There's a good chance they just want to set the record like they had it right all along because it cant be disproved. Similar to how Bill Polian still claims he had a 1st round grade on tom brady

I don't think the Chiefs or Texans had the capital to move ahead of the Bears. That's why I'm saying it didn't really work. And honestly, his charade didn't exactly fool us as fans, so I'm not so sure it swindled all the execs out there either.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Chicago fans and media everywhere after Pace's pick:

giphy.gif

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Chiefs or Texans had the capital to move ahead of the Bears. That's why I'm saying it didn't really work. And honestly, his charade didn't exactly fool us as fans, so I'm not so sure it swindled all the execs out there either.
It did though. You can see it in how little they had to give up to move up. Paying that little to move up for a franchise qb is almost unheard of.

Even the 49ers had no idea what the Bears were doing

Again, the Chiefs and the Texans had the ammo to do it but they didn't think they were going to have to. And even then it would have ended up costing the Bears that much more trying to outbid them

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Ragone should get a raise for his opinion on Watson.

I’m also curious what their area scout in Texas wrote about Mahomes. I know Patrick visited Halas Hall so he was in the mix for them. Having watched a ton of Mahomes which included attending one his games at TCU, I just can’t believe they could have decided Mitch was a better prospect. It proves how tough it is to evaluate these guys.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They really should have taken the safest bet. I admit, I didn't want Watson because of his penchant for TOs at the time. But I didn't want Trubisky either. :D

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Really interesting read...

-It appears that Pace and Fox weren't on the same page regarding who to draft.
-Pace was so enamored with Mitch being 'Brees', that he appears to have put blinders on to Mahomes and Watson
-The Chiefs, including Nagy, fell in love with Mahomes.

It's going to be really interesting going forward. If Pace is such a Mitch guy, and Nagy was a Mahomes guy, that means that Mitch was not the Chiefs(including Nagy) choice. I wonder what kind of power struggle that could bring going forward. What if Nagy does want to move on from Mitch? If he being forced to play him?

Also, if you thought Mitch was a 'Brees' type of player, why hire Nagy in the first place? This offense is perfect for Mahomes and not Brees. So why would you hire Nagy? Why not hire someone from the Saints offense?

I think Pace fuck this up, and it's blowing up in his face big time...

BEARS

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:

Long interesting read. Start out with Pace falling in love with Trubisky. Then talks about what the Chiefs and Texans saw in Mahomes and Watson.. Finally argues wif there is a future for Trubisky...

Pace like Trubs wholesomeness & the fact that he drove his grandparents old car to meet Pace. Smh

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Ragone should get a raise for his opinion on Watson.

I’m also curious what their area scout in Texas wrote about Mahomes. I know Patrick visited Halas Hall so he was in the mix for them. Having watched a ton of Mahomes which included attending one his games at TCU, I just can’t believe they could have decided Mitch was a better prospect. It proves how tough it is to evaluate these guys.
Yeah, I had watched a ton of Big 12 football and I knew that the NFL was moving more towards the spread. I was like how is this guy not the perfect fit and I really liked his background in baseball with his father. Mahomes arm was crazy good and I thought he had the perfect personality to succeed. I had Mahomes as the best QB but I remember watching all the nfl pre-draft headlines and the majority of analysts did have Trubisky ranked #1.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
On the microanalysis of the trade-up:

Three teams traded up in the first round for their quarterback. The Bears traded up the highest in the draft, yet were the only team that didn’t have to give up 2+ firsts to trade up.

Sure, the Texans and the Chiefs traded up more *spots*. But saying the Bears gave up a king’s ransom is fallacy when you consider they were the only team that didn’t give up 2 firsts+.

That said, it didn’t work out. The Texans and Chiefs get credit, because it did work out for them. That’s fine.

But I do think there’s something to the idea of a weird automatic national backlash because the Bears moved up for a QB versus a different position. I posted a video analysis last year of the pick as it unfolded on TV, and it’s clear from listening to the commentators in real time that they were pissed at the Bears for catching them off-guard by picking a QB. Not by picking Trubisky—remember that they did praise Trubisky as the best QB prospect in the draft—but by picking a quarterback. Schefter even tossed out a lame nugget—just after the Bears traded up but before the pick was announced—that he had been hearing all day that the Bears were going to do whatever it took to get Solomon Thomas. His compatriots praised the Bears for showing “their guy” that they were moving up to get him...when they thought it was a non-QB. Then the pick was announced. The Bears caught the national guys off-guard...in the second pick of the draft. That’s unforgivable and embarrassing for the establishment.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Fox, who rated Watson as his top quarterback, didn’t learn of Pace’s intention to select a quarterback until the morning of the draft, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation. “

I guess I wanted the wrong guy fired during the Fox era. Pace is the one who should’ve been canned.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
“Fox, who rated Watson as his top quarterback, didn’t learn of Pace’s intention to select a quarterback until the morning of the draft, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation. “

I guess I wanted the wrong guy fired during the Fox era. Pace is the one who should’ve been canned.
That's the real irony... lol