Eric Ebron

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Isn't Ebron having surgery on BOTH of his ankles this Offseason?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Cutting Long, Floyd, Shaheen, Gabriel, and Braunecker the Bears would be sitting at 44m under the cap and you need to sign 17 more players for a 53.

You get 5 or 6 at the draft and you can sign/restructure Robinson for a few more million savings...

That's more than enough room.

Bears just restructured Fuller for an additional $4.5m in 2020. Currently at $16.4m cap space according to OTC. Add in 8.1 from Long, 13.2 from Floyd, 1.2 from Shaheen, 5.5 from Gabriel, and 1.6 from Braunecker you get $46 m in space. Can get another 9m by cutting Prince, can likely get another $6m by restructuring Robinson. If Bears want it they can get a bunch of money to fill roster gaps.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Cutting Long, Floyd, Shaheen, Gabriel, and Braunecker the Bears would be sitting at 44m under the cap and you need to sign 17 more players for a 53.

You get 5 or 6 at the draft and you can sign/restructure Robinson for a few more million savings...

That's more than enough room.

Cutting Floyd gives you another position to spend on. And as I said in another thread, to get better than Floyd you may save a few million this year, but commit much more long-term to Mack's soon-to-be 25+Mil/year cap hit. Plus, you gotta sign a backup with or without Floyd/FA OLB. That money's going to go fast.

Competing QB- 5-7M
Ebron- 7M
RG 6-8M if you want anyone significant
SS 2-4 M
ILB 4-6M, and that's the high end if you want Kwit or Trevathan back
OLB 7-9

That's 33M with the low end, other than ILB. Leaves 11M for draft picks, in season moves, and you still need a longsnapper and backups at OLB, safety, and ILB at least....even if you use draft picks on the first 2 of those positions

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears just restructured Fuller for an additional $6m in 2020. Currently at $17.9m cap space according to OTC. Add in 8.1 from Long, 13.2 from Floyd, 1.2 from Shaheen, 5.5 from Gabriel, and 1.6 from Braunecker you get $47.5m in space. Can get another 9m by cutting Prince, can likely get another $6m by restructuring Robinson. If Bears want it they can get a bunch of money to fill roster gaps.

I think they keep Prince another year. I don't see his replacement on the roster or getting better for less money.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutting Floyd gives you another position to spend on. And as I said in another thread, to get better than Floyd you may save a few million this year, but commit much more long-term to Mack's soon-to-be 25+Mil/year cap hit. Plus, you gotta sign a backup with or without Floyd/FA OLB. That money's going to go fast.

Competing QB- 5-7M
Ebron- 7M
RG 6-8M if you want anyone significant
SS 2-4 M
ILB 4-6M, and that's the high end if you want Kwit or Trevathan back
OLB 7-9

That's 33M with the low end, other than ILB. Leaves 11M for draft picks, in season moves, and you still need a longsnapper and backups at OLB, safety, and ILB at least....even if you use draft picks on the first 2 of those positions

There is room

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not really disputing there is room. I'm just saying there should be priorities. And for me personally, paying an inconsistent player coming off of a major surgery a bunch of money to be on the same depth chart as an inconsistent player coming off a major surgery making a bunch of money isn't an ideal priority.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He is the type of tight end that can fit into the passing game. That is more need from the position in this offense. You still go out and get a backup T and a starting guard.
Not unless you're going to telegraph its a pass...or have a liability in the run game.

And besides, like it or not, that's Burton's role in the offense. He isnt being replaced just yet...

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think they keep Prince another year. I don't see his replacement on the roster or getting better for less money.

Bashaud Breeman for 11m/3 yrs. 90% the CB Prince is for 33% the cost.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not unless you're going to telegraph its a pass...or have a liability in the run game.

And besides, like it or not, that's Burton's role in the offense. He isnt being replaced just yet...

I liked Burton, but the Bears can't afford another year without a TE. They have to get a legit target as a backup.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
If Ebron checks out from injuries as clear and healthy and can still perform at the level he once performed at he’s worth a shot.
People act like we have options here at the Tight end position when in fact we are in a desperate situation and it’s crucial to our success as an organization moving forward.

I think even if we sign one we have to draft one as well. The teams with solid TEs dominate on offense. The teams like us are ranked near the bottom.

Gronk, Graham, Gates, Witten, Tony G, Kittle Kelce are all guys that make their QBs look really good at times where they are struggling.

we don’t have that here, haven’t since Olson, dez Clark, and Ditka

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought tolliver looked pretty good. And that was with 0 pass rush.

I wouldn't trust Toliver for 16 games. Unless you are desperate for that 9m and willing to funnel that back into a probowl pass rusher I don't see it.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ebron has always flashed talent, but hes never really put it all together. Not much of a blocker at all (you want to fix the running game or not?) and even in his PB season, he had a lot of drops. He will make some hard grabs, and drop the easy ones...usually at critical times.

In other words...maybe not the type of player we need to correct our current issues...
But, he was a redzone beast two seasons ago, a fix that we sure need.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't trust Toliver for 16 games. Unless you are desperate for that 9m and willing to funnel that back into a probowl pass rusher I don't see it.

I’m a believer. I’d look to draft another CB somewhere and/or bring in a vet cheaper than prince. I’m hoping pace trades down with both of his 2nds and accumulates picks. Maybe even trade down twice with their pick and once with Oakland’s. Pace said they’ve already felt the depth of this draft.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Also, I would definitely funnel the money into a pass rusher. Or TE. Or OG. Or OT. Or QB.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Pace has been trying to buy his way into a te since day 1. Sorry it doesn’t work like that why not develop the two undrafted guys and add another in the draft?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I liked Burton, but the Bears can't afford another year without a TE. They have to get a legit target as a backup.
I agree...but Ebron isn't coming here as a backup.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace has been trying to buy his way into a te since day 1. Sorry it doesn’t work like that why not develop the two undrafted guys and add another in the draft?

They don't have that kind of time. They need production now.