Eric Ebron

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree...but Ebron isn't coming here as a backup.

$$, but all things being equal he would go to a team to start. Patriots would be another destination.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They don't have that kind of time. They need production now.
Ok so burton contract was 4 years 28 mil right? They are going to have to pony up that plus a raise at around 10% cause cap is going up. I get what you mean just want to be real here. I don’t see the spending spree many here want

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Pace has been trying to buy his way into a te since day 1. Sorry it doesn’t work like that why not develop the two undrafted guys and add another in the draft?
Holtz developed into a solid blocking TE/FB this year. His role will only expand next season.

And Horstead showed he may be able to handle that backup role to Burton as well. Bring in some cheaper vet competition for him, so we'll be good...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
$$, but all things being equal he would go to a team to start. Patriots would be another destination.
We don't have money to pay a backup TE starter money. Not even close...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Holtz developed into a solid blocking TE/FB this year. His role will only expand next season.

And Horstead showed he may be able to handle that backup role to Burton as well. Bring in some cheaper vet competition for him, so we'll be good...

thats what I’m thinking. This team was built to win as is until 2021 when we get major cap back

and yes with cuts we have allot of cap space this year. But all those cuts those players also need to be replaced. The money disappears really really fast

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok so burton contract was 4 years 28 mil right? They are going to have to pony up that plus a raise at around 10% cause cap is going up. I get what you mean just want to be real here. I don’t see the spending spree many here want

Not sure he'll get what Burton got.

He is coming off an injury, may actually get him on a one year deal.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe 6 to 7m....they could afford that unless they want to pay another QB 20m....then you are back to lack of depth.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Hard pass on any FA dealing with more than a hangnail until dumpster diving season begins and $ is insignificant.
Betting on guys to bounce back from injuries to their glory days are bad bets. There are certainly exceptions, but it’s more often than not a failed gamble.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Maybe 6 to 7m....they could afford that unless they want to pay another QB 20m....then you are back to lack of depth.

I will say this history is in your side that pace would double down on the position. He was paying Simms 7 mil in 2018 even with signing burton. The only difference is we aren’t in the same ball park cap wise

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say this history is in your side that pace would double down on the position. He was paying Simms 7 mil in 2018 even with signing burton. The only difference is we aren’t in the same ball park cap wise

No we aren't. I am sure they have an idea of they need to bring in. They hinted already.....competition on the oline. Oline signing may not occur until training camp and preseason when some vets get let go.

They need a starting guard as a top priority in FA. They need another legit TE. I don't see a legit TE on the roster beyond Burton and I don't think they will gamble on getting one in the draft.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I like your confidence but trusting Burton as the starter is a mistake. His mind has changed. He’s spent a lot of time off the field and he isn’t the same guy he was. You need a true #1 TE.

I’d go for Hooper and draft my personal favorite in the draft is the guy from Stanford Colby Parkinson. He’s mastered blocking and will eventually be the best blocking tight end in the NFL. He’s also a traditional TE which you can use to deceive guys with play action. Parkinson held up blocks like an offensive lineman this year. He’s blocking college linebackers, but if that translates to the NFL that is the difference between 2 yard gains and really easy first downs, a good PA sell and an unfooled defense.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Got that North Caroline connection, and Ebron has been complimentary of Trubisky in the past. I'd be cool with that as the offseason tight end move.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colts are moving on from Ebron....

Ebron liked a post on Twitter that Trubisky is still going to be Bears QB.

Ebron had great things to say about Trubisky.

Ebron to Bears confirmed.

I am certainly on the same page as you over the last few days in interpreting the press conference and Bears further direction. But don't you think that you should have tagged me as reporting this first on CCS if you are taking my info and making a new thread?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He is only 26 and would be oppo Burton. That's decent insurance as far as I am concerned.

When i think of Ebron i can't help to think of his days in Detroit where he dropped a ton of balls and many of them in the end zone. He was better with A.Luck a couple years ago but then there was rumors of him complaining to coaches about not getting enough targets last year but that was because they had J.Doyle healthy. If we sign him you better be ready for good and bad Ebron.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Hockenson and Noah Fant had elite draft comps and showed flashes but rookie TE's don't succeed in the league rookie year on a regular basis, Gronk, Mark Andrews and Antonio Gates types are the outliers so drafting a TE with the expectation of him contributing within a few years is more realistic

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Hockenson and Noah Fant had elite draft comps and showed flashes but rookie TE's don't succeed in the league rookie year on a regular basis, Gronk, Mark Andrews and Antonio Gates types are the outliers so drafting a TE with the expectation of him contributing within a few years is more realistic
And that being true, why are people so quick to dismiss both Holtz and Holsted, two TEs that showed some promise this season as rookies?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
And that being true, why are people so quick to dismiss both Holtz and Holsted, two TEs that showed some promise this season as rookies?

Who dismissed them? Convo is about bringing in TE to produce now not down the road.

But I mostly agree with you in this thread. I would look to fix OL first and foremost. If letting TE go or signing a cheap flyer means we fix OG and OT and C solidly by signing proven talent and mixing to where everyone is at their best position, ... then I fix OL and let TE be leftover FA crumbs every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
Knowing Pace, he'll sign Ebron to a 1-year, 3.5M prove you're healthy deal.