Bobby Peters - What Happened to Matt Nagy's Offense in 2019?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The single most painful thing to me is how bad Trubisky has been getting RPO's right...This should be easy for a QB at this level.

I was a Trubisky truther before and after the draft but his decision making and IQ is just not good enough to be a starting QB for a successful NFL team.

Personally, I agree for the most part with this guy. Trubisky and the O-line are bigger problems than Nagy.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The single most painful thing to me is how bad Trubisky has been getting RPO's right...This should be easy for a QB at this level.

I was a Trubisky truther before and after the draft but his decision making and IQ is just not good enough to be a starting QB for a successful NFL team.

Personally, I agree for the most part with this guy. Trubisky and the O-line are bigger problems than Nagy.

The RPO is literally less successful every year in the nfl. Defensive players are all over this and you need a truly elite running QB to run this as much as Nagy does.

Consider this. The Wildcat is similar to the RPO only with the primary passer constantly touching the ball first. This isn't rocket science. Its very very gimmicky and unless you have elite speed and accelerationthe defensechas the advantage.

Things work in this order.

Trouble passing

Delayed draw to the RB. At least 2 of them. See if the defense adjust to the delays and cheats towards the run. If they do this it loosens up the passing game by giving your QB time to throw and an edge to extend off of. If the stay on the QB you simply run the ball again.

The problem here with matt nagy is that there is no delayed draws called.

Its a wait and see strategy thats the missing piece to the bears current RPO.

If you want me to go into detail lets talk football

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

The way I see it it’s been a collective effort. The talent in the field I a big issue from qb to oline to rb etc. but naggy isn’t blameless. If the players aren’t getting it adjust the damn game plan. He let the ship sink cause he was too stubborn to change things to something that will work

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
It's literally one read. One.

College QB's do this all the time. Why do I need an elite QB to make one read?

You need an elite athlete to outrun defensive ends who dont respect his speed. He is very fast just not by NFL standards. In fact he's the slowest RPO QB in the league.

So if you read my addition i explained how you make it more effective. You simply delay the handoff in the same package as the RPO.

You dont snap read and decide.

You snap stare downfield and delay the handoff in order to fool the defense and reset the clock for containing certain gaps. It throws that off. Then you go back to the RPO.

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
I thought Bears RPOs have two initial reads. One is the run read between QB/RB and the other is a WR quick throw read after run fake all out of the same play.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Is it just me or did it seem like teams just crashed on the running back knowing that trubisky couldn't beat them through the air? Then he went ahead and handed it off most of the time anyway.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
If the linebackers get fooled by the delay they will be forced to stand up closer to the line if they are ends they stay tighter to hold center in order to not open those running lanes to wide in case its delayed.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I thought Bears RPOs have two initial reads. One is the run read between QB/RB and the other is a WR quick throw read after run fake all out of the same play.

Ok yes it is. Again it's being figured out. Teams and defensive ends are gauging bjust how much space to give trubisky based on his speed. From analyzing tape he's getting a fair amount of space but simply put isnt taking it because (Shocker) he's just not that quick to accelerate. Defenders know this and are baiting him just enough to take off so they can trap him.

Again this is why you add a delayed handoff into your RPO. It forces edge rushers inside to maintain respect for truly explosive guys like Cohen and Montgomery. Resetting the defenses clock and forcing an adjustment to multiple defenders.

Ever play chess and you make the same first 30 moves against a chess champion and lose. That's what this is like you need to do something different between moves 20-30 to make your opponent adjust how hes playing you. Then you can implement your offense.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Stopped reading at "From an offensive production standpoint, I place the least amount of blame on Nagy's play calling/ play design."

There is plenty of blame to spread around, but writing a piece trying to absolve Nagy of all blame is pretty laughable. He was one of the biggest reasons this offense failed in 2019.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Stopped reading at "From an offensive production standpoint, I place the least amount of blame on Nagy's play calling/ play design."

There is plenty of blame to spread around, but writing a piece trying to absolve Nagy of all blame is pretty laughable. He was one of the biggest reasons this offense failed in 2019.

Stop trying to make Trubisky happen. It's not going to happen.

Trubisky and the O-line couldn't execute, simple as that.

Nagy wasn't perfect but he isn't the one on the field.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
it's confusing for me, we made the NFC championship game w/ Cutler, not sure he could read any better. We've seen evidence of Trubisky not being able to read but have also seen him throw some amazing freaking dots....

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Running game is all the rage now with defenses going mostly nickel. Most of the playoff teams are top 10 in rushing. Bears got a flavor of the week coach that’s now stale

Last edited: