Bobby Peters - What Happened to Matt Nagy's Offense in 2019?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Cool story.

How many QB's can succeed with bottom tier play calling and bottom tier running game? Not to mention no tight end play at all.

I don't care who you put behind center, if the offense is the same, and that includes nagy, the result will still be the same.

When a defense plays 2 high and you can't run the ball to beat it your passing offense is not going to be very effective.

Matt Nagy's offense was predictable and pedestrian this year. There is improvement to be done all over the field on offense, the worry most have is that matt nagy, like you, doesn't think he's an issue.
first of all it was nowhere near bottom tier play calling. We saw Mitch miss way too many open receivers for it to be “bottom tier”. The defense couldn’t run on cover 2 because the OL sucks. That’s Ryan Pace’s fault not Nagy’s.

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
I think OL hamstrung both play calling and QB play. I’d really like to see the offense operate with competent run and pass blocking.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Relying on Piniero with :43 on the clock and a TO without trying to get closer or even where Eddie wanted it to end the game was inexcusable. Another game he lost, he went for it on 4th and 9, then later in the game declined a penalty on 4th and 5... He made so many terrible decisions that had nothing to do with the QB. Trubisky and Nagy were terrible. It doesn’t have to be 1 or the other. If Nagy needs a top 5 QB to look good then he went to the wrong team.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the QB isn’t good, it doesn’t matter about anything else on the offensive side of the ball.

Dumbest shit I've ever heard. It's football, literally everything matters.

You don't get a free pass when you were literally hired to develop the QB and fix the offense, yet both your QB and your offense are badly regressing. Stop letting your emotions towards Trubisky cloud your evaluation of Nagy.

Nagy's offense was carried by defensive turnovers and scores in 2018 and exposed in 2019 without them. Instead of doing an honest self-evaluation and adjusting his offense accordingly, Nagy spent the summer sniffing his own fart and installing more gimmicks before putting his players in bubble wrap for the preseason.

"I wasn't brought here to run I formation" tells you everything you need to know about the guy. He'd rather lose games running his Special person pass-first RPO than win games running bland I-formation stuff his players can actually execute.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Relying on Piniero with :43 on the clock and a TO without trying to get closer or even where Eddie wanted it to end the game was inexcusable. Another game he lost, he went for it on 4th and 9, then later in the game declined a penalty on 4th and 5... He made so many terrible decisions that had nothing to do with the QB. Trubisky and Nagy were terrible. It doesn’t have to be 1 or the other. If Nagy needs a top 5 QB to look good then he went to the wrong team.
Not sure why this isn't/wasn't brought up more. He Denny Green'd the Chargers game...right after your QB was starting to gain confidence(in which he had none in the season up to that point).

Nagy was brought in here to groom Trubisky. If the blame is put at the feet of the QB, it's inevitably the HC/GM's blunder more than anything. Although you could probably point more at the HC on gameday. It's his responsibility to put his player in a position to succeed.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
"I wasn't brought here to run I formation" tells you everything you need to know about the guy. He'd rather lose games running his Special person pass-first RPO than win games running bland I-formation stuff his players can actually execute.

Yet the few plays he ran from the I were the most successful drives of the season... ???. I would love to know what their ypc was from the I vs everything else. Ypc from rpo would be interesting too.

His inability to adapt or exploit a defense is my biggest gripe. Sure, the players looked awful, but he's been figured out and has no answer.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Cool story.

How many QB's can succeed with bottom tier play calling and bottom tier running game? Not to mention no tight end play at all.

I don't care who you put behind center, if the offense is the same, and that includes nagy, the result will still be the same.

When a defense plays 2 high and you can't run the ball to beat it your passing offense is not going to be very effective.

Matt Nagy's offense was predictable and pedestrian this year. There is improvement to be done all over the field on offense, the worry most have is that matt nagy, like you, doesn't think he's an issue.

Exactly.

The Goat Tom Brady limped into the playoffs with the #1 defense and couldnt win. Couldnt put up points. Barely moved the ball.

Is Brady washed up? Fuck no! His WRs aren't that good. There is no YAC because there is nobody doubling Gronk and in some cases triple covering him. There is no Legarrette Blount to move the stcks or lean on.

No TEs

1 WR Edelman

No power Run

#1 defense

1st round loss

Poor QB play.

The players around you matter! Look at the Patriots with moss and without. With gronk and without. With Aaron Hernandez and Gronk and without.

When you dont have guys that you can depend on as a QB it makes it nearly impossible to be successful.

This is the NFL. Not college football. No QB can be Vince Young in college and just do it all himself.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
His hands were tied with the shit TE and OL production, hence no run game or threat of it. He still should've adapted. Not experienced enough to play OC and HC on a team with such suddenly big glaring holes they weren't prepared for...incl losing Hicks.

Given this, Nagy's O started around here...and he adapted equally well.

Yes. He had no TEs. So you run a 6th o linemen out there and smash the other team in the teeth. You send the message to soften up or see if you dont get broken. And if you hurt or injure enough of them they might not meet you head on in the hole, they might side step you and try and chop your legs out. Which is the difference between being stood up at the point of contact and falling forward for an extra 2-3 yards. Possibly even making a guy miss and getting big yardage.

When guys are hurt or injured they'll make business decisions. Its a long season. In their mind they have to be healthy or they have no chance of winning.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
first of all it was nowhere near bottom tier play calling. We saw Mitch miss way too many open receivers for it to be “bottom tier”. The defense couldn’t run on cover 2 because the OL sucks. That’s Ryan Pace’s fault not Nagy’s.

At least 5 WR screens a game that go nowhere.

A 7 run game. Lowest in franchise history. 3 to a WR.

So it was bottom teir. Because you ran things successfully overcoming your ego and drove right down field.

You leaned on your ego and you looked awful. Last in the league results.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
At least 5 WR screens a game that go nowhere.

A 7 run game. Lowest in franchise history. 3 to a WR.

So it was bottom teir. Because you ran things successfully overcoming your ego and drove right down field.

You leaned on your ego and you looked awful. Last in the league results.
You are basing this off of 1 (one) game where he threw the ball too much and a couple of WR screens (which damn near every offense runs) a game? You’re a bigger moron than I thought.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
You are basing this off of 1 (one) game where he threw the ball too much and a couple of WR screens (which damn near every offense runs) a game? You’re a bigger moron than I thought.

No man he did stupid shit all season. The Dallas Game was his best called game. Trubisky looked like a Star.

He went away from that. He's gotta do it his way. He'd rather lose than chsnge his playcalling style.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
No man he did stupid shit all season. The Dallas Game was his best called game. Trubisky looked like a Star.

He went away from that. He's gotta do it his way. He'd rather lose than chsnge his playcalling style.
Please tell us about his stupid shit. Just out of curiosity does it include not being able to hit open WRs and read defenses. Congratulations Trubisky had a good game against Dallas where he looked like an accurate passer who took advantage of his legs. But yeah Nagy is the problem. Who would have thought the one game the QB played well the offense looked good.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That was more of a tale of the season than anything. Mitchy almost cracked the top 10 in a passing stat this year...attempts.

He was 12th in that category this year. Which was ahead of both Mahomes & Watson. He's clearly the worst of the 3, so why as a coach are you putting that on your QB?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please tell us about his stupid shit. Just out of curiosity does it include not being able to hit open WRs and read defenses. Congratulations Trubisky had a good game against Dallas where he looked like an accurate passer who took advantage of his legs. But yeah Nagy is the problem. Who would have thought the one game the QB played well the offense looked good.

the whole he can't hit open receivers is ridiculous...he hasn't had that problem since last year....in short to mid range he is not missing open receivers often.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I mean if that’s what he’s good at and it wins you football games do it?

LJ isn’t a great QB because he reads defenses... he makes the defense cheat up an extra 3 yards to close running lanes. Then he hits guys over top with well timed play calls.

that’s how the nfl works. I suggest you watch some videos explaining different defenses like Quarters, cover 3, cover 2, cover 1, run blitzing, base 3-4, base 4-3, 2 gap responsibilities, 1 gap responsibilities, RPO defenses, 8 men in the box.

some basics to understand just how much play calling matters. How adjusting your offense matters. It will take you a week to research but once you do we can have a basic conversation about why certain QBs are successful and why others aren’t.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That was more of a tale of the season than anything. Mitchy almost cracked the top 10 in a passing stat this year...attempts.

He was 12th in that category this year. Which was ahead of both Mahomes & Watson. He's clearly the worst of the 3, so why as a coach are you putting that on your QB?
Because you have an OL that can’t move people against a nickel defense. Houston and KC are able to run the ball which the Bears can’t. Bears were also right around average at pass percentage.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
the whole he can't hit open receivers is ridiculous...he hasn't had that problem since last year....in short to mid range he is not missing open receivers often.
You can keep saying it and it won’t be true!

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I mean if that’s what he’s good at and it wins you football games do it?

LJ isn’t a great QB because he reads defenses... he makes the defense cheat up an extra 3 yards to close running lanes. Then he hits guys over top with well timed play calls.

that’s how the nfl works. I suggest you watch some videos explaining different defenses like Quarters, cover 3, cover 2, cover 1, run blitzing, base 3-4, base 4-3, 2 gap responsibilities, 1 gap responsibilities, RPO defenses, 8 men in the box.

some basics to understand just how much play calling matters. How adjusting your offense matters. It will take you a week to research but once you do we can have a basic conversation about why certain QBs are successful and why others aren’t.
That’s literally my point. Nagy cant make Mitch run. Nagy cant throw the ball accurately for Mitch either.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would love to know what their ypc was from the I vs everything else. Ypc from rpo would be interesting too.

Not sure what the YPC differential is for the season but for the one game (LAC) I actually charted it was pretty substantial.

LAC game:

7.6 yard per carry from 2 back formations with a lead blocker

vs

3.6 yards per carry (including the 55 yarder) from Nagy's RPO
(1.6 yards per carry when you remove that fluke 55 yard outlier. )

His inability to adapt or exploit a defense is my biggest gripe. Sure, the players looked awful, but he's been figured out and has no answer.

Yup. It all comes back to his ego.

A good coach is willing to adapt and use whatever scheme or formation necessary to win (like Harbaugh did changing literally everything around to suit Lamar). Unfortunately, Nagy cares more about doing things HIS way than winning games. 16 weeks stubbornly running the same concepts game after game watching them fail repeatedly. Every week giving the same excuses about needing to find an identity when an obvious one is starring you right in the face.

Even worse, all this shit should of been figured out in camp. But Nagy was too busy reading his own press-clippings.