Ryan Pace destroyed the Chicago Bears

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Pace also got Eddie Jackson Akiem Hicks Khalil Mack Roquan Smith Adrian Amos Callahan Allen Robinson Anthony Miller Whitehair Howard.
Skrine was a solid corner for the cap space Pace had to work with.
Wims looks like a solid 7th rounder

You can't name all the bad without naming the good. I get it he sucks at first round picks but people mostly hate him for trading up for Mitch.

I get your point, but what did all that get the Bears in Pace’s six years?

1 playoff appearance. 0 playoff wins.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I get your point, but what did all that get the Bears in Pace’s six years?

1 playoff appearance. 0 playoff wins.

I don't disagree. But, you do realize he inherited the worst roster in Bears history, right?

And that is not an exaggeration, literally, that roster was god awful.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm less done with him than I am Matt Nagy/Mitch Trubisky. ONLY because he has had plenty of hits, and brought us khalil mack, and has made chicago a FA destination. He helped change the culture of this team to a place that players want to come. That is difficult.

Now if this team declines next year, he's gone. You can't give him a decade of failure. I don't blame him for this year fully however. Trubisky is unfortunate, but that shit happens.

Burton/Leno/Massie all sucking are just something most people did not see coming. I don't really blame him for either signing. Well, maybe massie. Other than that I feel like all his FA aquisitions/extensions were fantastic.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Nearly every GM gets fired eventually.

10 different gm's have won executive of the year in the last decade. The only ones who arent fired are the last 3(And Jerry Jones, but the fucker would be fired if he wasn't the owner)

I'm just saying, pace, compared to his peers, is not doing that bad of a job. Compared to Angelo/Emery he's fucking doing a fantastic job.

Is it good enough? Nope. But I'm not willing to blame him/fire him yet. If next year this team declines again then you get rid of him.
Agreed

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Pace has proven to have a pretty damn good feel for the defensive side the ball - and a good mid to late round sensibility especially with the defense. Unfortunately for him - his aptitude in regards to the most important position in the game is seemingly comparable with someone who has never watched football. It ain't easy. #bears #beardown #mikeglennon

ChicagoBearsSinceBirth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We will see what he does this off season one thing i love is how he has been able to get FA guys and retain current core players on good team friendly deals these guys want to be here they see something building for the long haul here

I remember how we would always lose all of our players to FA all the time and never get the good FA signing lets see what he has in store this offseason

jive

Liked Posts:
First rounders are important. This is why we suck:
2005 - Cedric Benson
2006 - No pick
2007 - Greg Olsen
2008 - Chris Williams
2009 - No pick
2010 - No pick
2011 - Gabe Carimi
2012 - Shea McClellin
2013 - Kyle Long
2014 - Kyle Fuller
2015 - Kevin White
2016 - Leonard Floyd
2017 - Mitchell Trubisky
2018 - Roquan Smith
2019 - No pick

Pace blows donkey dong on most of his first rounders, but he follows a long line of first round chokers. 5 of those guys are absolute busts, with 2 more headed in that direction. 4 of those guys had pro-bowl caliber seasons. However, one of those was traded away for peanuts (Olsen). 4 of those drafts, we had no first round pick. But considering our failures in the first round, we could have done a whole lot worse than Cutler and Mack. So, of our 11 draft picks in the last 15 years, more than half are busts or almost busts, with less than a quarter of them having good seasons for us.

Championships are won in the mid to late rounds of the draft. Championships are lost in the first round of the draft. That's why we can put together decent seasons here or there, but can't put together a dominant team. Angelo and Pace put together some good defenses with mid and late round picks, but because the busted in the first round, they never got the talent needed to make the team dominant. Imagine Demarcus Ware and DeAngelo Williams instead of Benson and Manning. Or how about Muhammad Wilkerson, Chandler Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins instead of Carimi, McClellin, and Long. These are all talents that would have made an impact on the team, and form a core to build on. Instead, we draft 1st rounders with big contracts that need to be replaced with free agents. That can't be done in the salary cap era if you want to build a strong team.

From a career standpoint, Pace is fortunate to not have 1st round picks. If he busted in 2019, it would have certainly accelerated his departure. Pace will need to hit on a majority of his draft picks if he's going to rebuild this team to playoff caliber and keep a job past 2020.

msadows

Liked Posts:
First rounders are important. This is why we suck:
2005 - Cedric Benson
2006 - No pick
2007 - Greg Olsen
2008 - Chris Williams
2009 - No pick
2010 - No pick
2011 - Gabe Carimi
2012 - Shea McClellin
2013 - Kyle Long
2014 - Kyle Fuller
2015 - Kevin White
2016 - Leonard Floyd
2017 - Mitchell Trubisky
2018 - Roquan Smith
2019 - No pick

Pace blows donkey dong on most of his first rounders, but he follows a long line of first round chokers. 5 of those guys are absolute busts, with 2 more headed in that direction. 4 of those guys had pro-bowl caliber seasons. However, one of those was traded away for peanuts (Olsen). 4 of those drafts, we had no first round pick. But considering our failures in the first round, we could have done a whole lot worse than Cutler and Mack. So, of our 11 draft picks in the last 15 years, more than half are busts or almost busts, with less than a quarter of them having good seasons for us.

Championships are won in the mid to late rounds of the draft. Championships are lost in the first round of the draft. That's why we can put together decent seasons here or there, but can't put together a dominant team. Angelo and Pace put together some good defenses with mid and late round picks, but because the busted in the first round, they never got the talent needed to make the team dominant. Imagine Demarcus Ware and DeAngelo Williams instead of Benson and Manning. Or how about Muhammad Wilkerson, Chandler Jones, and DeAndre Hopkins instead of Carimi, McClellin, and Long. These are all talents that would have made an impact on the team, and form a core to build on. Instead, we draft 1st rounders with big contracts that need to be replaced with free agents. That can't be done in the salary cap era if you want to build a strong team.

From a career standpoint, Pace is fortunate to not have 1st round picks. If he busted in 2019, it would have certainly accelerated his departure. Pace will need to hit on a majority of his draft picks if he's going to rebuild this team to playoff caliber and keep a job past 2020.

I don't think you realize how many good players are actually drafted in the first round every year.

Success rate for first round picks, and I don't mean just pro bowlers, but starters, is 53%.

League wide its 53%.

They throw darts at the board. They hope they stick. Right now, pace is 2/3. He still has one more year for trubisky, but it's looking 2/4.

As bad as you all think floyd is, he is still a quality starter in this league and will play a ten year career. Smith will be a pro bowler or is shaping up to it. White is out of the league, and Mitch is looking like a backup.

This is par for the course for most GM's/teams. Unfortunately, its not good enough.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You should go look at other GM's draft histories.

Really, do it.

You'd be surprised.

Have many other GMs still hired missed three of four top ten picks while trading up?

I don't think you realize how many good players are actually drafted in the first round every year.

Success rate for first round picks, and I don't mean just pro bowlers, but starters, is 53%.

League wide its 53%.

They throw darts at the board. They hope they stick. Right now, pace is 2/3. He still has one more year for trubisky, but it's looking 2/4.

As bad as you all think floyd is, he is still a quality starter in this league and will play a ten year career. Smith will be a pro bowler or is shaping up to it. White is out of the league, and Mitch is looking like a backup.

This is par for the course for most GM's/teams. Unfortunately, its not good enough.

Floyd wasn't worth a top ten pick and draft picks, no matter how bad anyone tries to spin it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Have many other GMs still hired missed three of four top ten picks while trading up?

Floyd wasn't worth a top ten pick and draft picks, no matter how bad anyone tries to spin it.

Not saying he's not, but he's a starter in this league. Like I said, the stat is 53% to actually have a career as a first round pick. I don't consider floyd a bust. He's just not good.

There are only two players who have gone to the probowl in his draft class drafted AFTER floyd. One is tunsil, who we should have but didn't pick. The other is Keanu Neal, which eddie jackson would have never happened.

Fun stat. Leonard floyd has a higher aproximate value than everyone drafted after him besides Taylor Decker.

Not defending leonard, but he's mediocre, and there was a lot of mediocre drafted after him.

He was the top edge rusher available at the time and New York was going to take him ahead of us. We absolutely shocked them by trading up. Our biggest need was edge rusher. It was a good pick at the time. It just didn't work out. Easy to say its trash now.

I doubt many of you remember, but our biggest need was pass rusher and CB.

We could have drafted vernon hargreaves instead, who a lot of people wanted. Coulda drafted eli apple. Coulda drafted shaq lawson.

Those were the best available, besides leonard floyd, at the time we were picking. Pace didn't botch the pick, we weren't in position for BPA at the time.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

League wide its 53%.

A top ten pick is supposed to be a game changer, not a quality starter. Pace is 1/4, regardless of your opinion.

msadows

Liked Posts:
A top ten pick is supposed to be a game changer, not a quality starter. Pace is 1/4, regardless of your opinion.

Its not opinion. It's fact. I agree floyd is not good, but who did you want him to draft in that draft?

Far and away the biggest need was Edge.

2nd biggest was CB.

The best available were:

1) Vernon Hargreaves - CB
2) Leonard Floyd - Edge
3) Eli Apple - CB
4) Shaq Lawson - Edge

You would fail no matter what. He actually picked the best player out of the four.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure "destroyed" is accurate. Pace had struggled getting a game changing offensive player. Majority of his misses are on one side of the ball.

Maybe say he didn't totally repair the train wreck he took over.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Bears were historical levels bad before Pace, and for 2 seasons with Pace. White on paper should've been very good, Floyd never fit the scheme, Trubisky was a reach, Smith is good. Shaheen is epic fail. I don't know, I think he did alright outside QB, TE, and kicker.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace has proven to have a pretty damn good feel for the defensive side the ball - and a good mid to late round sensibility especially with the defense. Unfortunately for him - his aptitude in regards to the most important position in the game is seemingly comparable with someone who has never watched football. It ain't easy. #bears #beardown #mikeglennon
Exactly this. Pace has done a solid job building up the roster, but if he can't get the QB position correct then goodbye.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Its not opinion. It's fact. I agree floyd is not good, but who did you want him to draft in that draft?

Far and away the biggest need was Edge.

2nd biggest was CB.

The best available were:

1) Vernon Hargreaves - CB
2) Leonard Floyd - Edge
3) Eli Apple - CB
4) Shaq Lawson - Edge

You would fail no matter what. He actually picked the best player out of the four.
Laremy Tunsil would have nice. Derrick Henry would had been nice.....just thinking

elbandido

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pace is an idiot and anyone who defends him is an idiot. Trades 4 high picks to move up ONE SPOT to draft a BUST so he wouldn't get stuck with either one of 2 future Hall of Famers, Mahomes or Watson. No, we wouldn't want that! But let's not forget his other 1st round disasters: Kevin White, could've had Vic Beasely, Todd Gurley or Jamal Adams--nice going, asshole, and Leonard Floyd (yeah he sucks)--could've had Laremy Tunsil, Taylor Decker or Sheldon Rankins. Oh--and in addition to giving $12 million to Mike Glennon, this fucking moron also moved UP to draft Adam Sheehan and Hroniss Grasu and WR Daniel Braverman, (who?). And don't tell me about getting Eddie Jackson in the fourth round--even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Worst GM in the history of any sport, but the McCaskeys think he has nice manners and looks good in a suit. So there you have it Bear fans. I don't know about you but I'm done until Pace is out of the building and a bad memory.

Yes and don't forget the main culprit (in my eyes), Ted Phillips, our CEO. (making Bears' fans miserable since 1999...)