NEW RULEZ for NFL being EXPERIMENTED WITH at the PRoBowl

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Don't feel like reading that right now, but would read your summary.

I maintain I'd only like the Probowl to continue if they play it with regular NFL game rules. Otherwise I don't want to see it.

Besides playing it as Two Hand Touch, there's risk of injury if they play the game, might as well play a real game. If they play a real game, fans will watch it, thus it will generate the revenue to pay the players properly for the 'risks' they take on, just like they're willing to do in every regular NFL game they play. This is very simple.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Don't feel like reading that right now, but would read your summary.

I maintain I'd only like the Probowl to continue if they play it with regular NFL game rules. Otherwise I don't want to see it.

Besides playing it as Two Hand Touch, there's risk of injury if they play the game, might as well play a real game. If they play a real game, fans will watch it, thus it will generate the revenue to pay the players properly for the 'risks' they take on, just like they're willing to do in every regular NFL game they play. This is very simple.
Well maybe you should actually read it, because that’s not what the rule changes are about.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would only watch the Pro Bowl if the players started trying and in that case I would hope the players from my team all fake injuries so they don't have to play.

As for the kickoff rules, if they are intent on killing the kickoff I would much rather make every "kickoff" play a 4th and 15 from the 30 or so where you can go for it or punt, but if the punt goes out of bounds before it hits the ground it is an illegal procedure penalty.

That keeps returners returning while adding the ability to fake or just make it an offensive play. It makes special teams more fun, not less.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
multiple wr screens on 4th and 15 on your own 25 is actually genius as nobody would expect them

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I would only watch the Pro Bowl if the players started trying and in that case I would hope the players from my team all fake injuries so they don't have to play.

As for the kickoff rules, if they are intent on killing the kickoff I would much rather make every "kickoff" play a 4th and 15 from the 30 or so where you can go for it or punt, but if the punt goes out of bounds before it hits the ground it is an illegal procedure penalty.

That keeps returners returning while adding the ability to fake or just make it an offensive play. It makes special teams more fun, not less.
Should be 4 and 25. A team like Kc would probably get a 4 and 15 a majority of times. The other team might not even get to touch the ball.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Imagine a ticky tack 5 yard defensive holding penalty that results in a turnover because it's the onside kick. Needs to be adjusted. Should be 4th and 25 if penalties are enforced as normal. Or should be 4th and 15 if penalties are not enforced. The point shouldn't be to make it easy to get the onside, but easier than it presently is. 4th and 15 is waaaay to short IMO

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Imagine a ticky tack 5 yard defensive holding penalty that results in a turnover because it's the onside kick. Needs to be adjusted. Should be 4th and 25 if penalties are enforced as normal. Or should be 4th and 15 if penalties are not enforced. The point shouldn't be to make it easy to get the onside, but easier than it presently is. 4th and 15 is waaaay to short IMO

How would defensive holding result in a turnover? Why wouldn't be a yardage penalty and a replay of down be in order? If you maintain that the defense could hold/interfere/jump offsides ad nauseum, the yardage accrues to the turnover all the same. I do think 15 yards is a bit short.

I was happy with the onside kick percentage as is and do not want to see a ridiculous increase in an ability to get the ball back to a very high degree but I approve heartily of removing the "luck of the bounce of the ball" factor.

Not a fan of onside kicks as is and crossing fingers here as I believe the XFL rules are well thought out and may unseat the NFL in watchability if not popularity.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
After a field goal...the scoring team, Team A, has the following options:

Team A may elect to give Team B the ball at Team B’s 25-yard line, beginning a new series of downs with a first-and-10.
Team A may elect to take the ball at its own 25-yard line for a fourth-and-15 play.

If Team A is successful in making a first down, Team A will maintain possession and a new series of downs will continue as normal.

If Team A is unsuccessful in making a first down, the result will be a turnover on downs and Team B will take possession at the dead ball spot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone else mentioned how a team like KC might not ever give up possession. I'm assuming it only applies if you just scored a FG, if you score a TD, you have to kick off and don't have the option to try to maintain possession.

But just think, you could keep getting the ball at your own 25, move it 40 - 50 yards, be back in field goal range, and rinse and repeat. Just keep getting field goals like 3 possessions in a row. Probably harder than it sounds, but you could have a 9 point swing where the other team never touches the ball.

mecha

Liked Posts:
possibly the worst thing since Greedo shooting first. do they have some kind of annual mandate to just change shit? was it always like this?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
possibly the worst thing since Greedo shooting first. do they have some kind of annual mandate to just change shit? was it always like this?

I hated the Star Wars franchise from that day forward......

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I got offered free tickets last year and still didn't go. Lol.

mbison

Liked Posts:
4th and 15 seems way to easy to get to me. Should be 4th and 20 at least. KC can probably get 4th and 15 5/10 times

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Both ideas are terrible.

1 - Post FG you can get the ball on your 25 in 4th and 15 - so this will either help one team blow out another or create some long odds comebacks. With the onside kick we already have the long odds comebacks so what's the point? I'd add couldn't an offense just tire out a D the entire game by just constantly keeping the ball? I'm sure someone will go full money ball on this one and exploit it.

2 - No false start when a flexed WR flinches - So more grey area calls for the ref to make? Was that a flinch or a false start? I can only hope it's reviewable! Would love to hear the announcers debate a flinch in slow motion as they patch in a former ref to explain how stupid the rule is and he has no idea what they will say.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Q: Why Option 1 ONLY after a field goal and not a TD?

* Could be to prevent teams from playing keep away "make it take it" style, but if the risk on that 4th down is high enough, I don't see this happening, especially only if for 3 points per drive.

* Isn't the main reason for onside kick to try to mount a last ditch effort comeback?? Unless behind by that magic 9-11 point deficit range, this option doesn't really apply if a team behind by more or if in red zone as they should go for a TD. It'd be stupid to incentivize a team to NOT go for a needed TD and take a FG (first) just to have this option for 2nd possession after.

----------
Killing kickoffs also reduces backup players' chances to show their live tackling & blocking abilities. And don't say they do it in practice because practice is never the same as live game day play. #bubblewrap

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also agree the 2nd change is ridiculous. Terrible idea to create more subjectivity to yet another penalty that will only drag out the game even more with 10 replays, announcer reviews, ref reviews, and frustrations. Also coaches using it to bait defenses to jump. This will be Lifetime TV level argument drama.