Offseason Stuff

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I never said it was plausible to happen. Just that it’d be the best fielding left side of an infield in baseball.

I agree completely. I would be fine with Bryant moved to RF and Heyward/Contreras for Nolan also. Bryant might be a plus RF with degrading 3B skills.

But I get the want part of this. Get a all star 3B and Artist back and some pitching depth. Sounds very cool.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I agree completely. I would be fine with Bryant moved to RF and Heyward/Contreras for Nolan also. Bryant might be a plus RF with degrading 3B skills.

But I get the want part of this. Get a all star 3B and Artist back and some pitching depth. Sounds very cool.

Good move that could improve both teams, but doesn't serve the purpose the Cubs are pursuing -- to cut payroll. That move would be payroll neutral in the short term and increase payroll over the next several years, as Arenado's annual payout goes up to its highest annual value years.

If you did that, you'd still have to move Bryant. And at that point you're losing too many above-average position players to expect to contend in the near term.

-Doug

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Is Ellsbury really going to cost that much more than this Souza?

Just since our 2B men are piling up if nobody is filling in the outfield roster.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Is Ellsbury really going to cost that much more than this Souza?

Just since our 2B men are piling up if nobody is filling in the outfield roster.
Ellsbury is bad and old. Souza at least could potentially bounce back. Souza is definitely a better option than Ellsbury at this point in their careers

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Biggest names left in free agency are Puig and Pedro Strop.

At least we did not sign either one of them?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Figures both were at ends last year also.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Anyone know what the fuck is going on with Bryant's grievance issue? WTF is MLB doing here?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The grievance taking this long is ridiculous. It's clearly stated in the CBA. Other teams have done this. Re-negotiate it with the next CBA. Maybe try to have playoff time added in until FA is reached as days on the MLB roster.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If I were Theo, I'd be on the fucking phone with MLB going completely postal on their collective asses for not resolving this already.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baseball commish must be a real wuss. There is no way MLB violates current CBA. If they do, MLB owes Ricketts million$ and more than a few compensatory draft picks.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I were Theo, I'd be on the fucking phone with MLB going completely postal on their collective asses for not resolving this already.
This could be your calling, if only you worked for the league office.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
@beckdawg I am thinking the Cubs are collecting all the BP arms to see which ones have a good first half. If the Cubs are in contention they will stay pat with the arms, but if a few play great and the team is out of it, it means great trade bait to retool.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
@beckdawg I am thinking the Cubs are collecting all the BP arms to see which ones have a good first half. If the Cubs are in contention they will stay pat with the arms, but if a few play great and the team is out of it, it means great trade bait to retool.

And both of those are good strategies. And if none of them are good, they don't cost any real money so little is lost anyway.