Is Mahomes Already a Top 3 QB of all Time?

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Read what you just wrote.

Now consider that for an elite QB, there is much more money to be made doing commercials than in your salary. If he gives a hometown discount, knowing that he will make more off the field, he can allow the team to pay its players while demonstrating that he is willing to not be so greedy to the rest of the team, making them more willing to also give hometown discounts.

Using your own words, Mahomes will have more chances of winning Super Bowls if he gives discounts on his contract. More victories and Super Bowl victories, more money made from ads.

I will give you an example. Tom Brady made 15 million in salary in 2018 while making 12 million from endorsements. Well, that wasn't more than his salary. Did I mention that Brady was ranked 81st among athletes in endorsements? He basically didn't care to do many endorsements.

If Mahomes is smart, he can easily be making from 12 to 20 million a year in endorsements, allowing him to accept a hometown discount.
Top 3 QB earners from 2019 for endorsements... Aaron Rodgers $8 million, Russell Wilson $7 million, Big Ben $1 million. I dont see that as more than ~$30m a year they earn in salary?

Source: https://www.yardbarker.com/general_...t_paid_athletes_of_2019/s1__30639839#slide_21

Go ask any analyst or ex-player if Mahomes should take a deal on his first big contract. I bet 95% say no.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Top 3 QB earners from 2019 for endorsements... Aaron Rodgers $8 million, Russell Wilson $7 million, Big Ben $1 million. I dont see that as more than ~$30m a year they earn in salary?

Source: https://www.yardbarker.com/general_...t_paid_athletes_of_2019/s1__30639839#slide_21

Go ask any analyst or ex-player if Mahomes should take a deal on his first big contract. I bet 95% say no.
I was looking at 2018 numbers.

I think that Mahomes is going to break all records, including endorsements. Someone mentioned Mahomes hitting a record 40 million a year deal. Imagine him taking 30 million a year, making up the rest with 10 to 15 million in endorsements and giving KC a 10 million dollar discount.

He gets to keep his weapons, win more games, get more endorsements and win more Super Bowls.

It probably won't happen and he will end up losing many of his weapons to free agency, causing him to miss out on a couple of Super Bowl victories.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Patrick Mahomes is the best player in the NFL and he hasn’t even hit his prime yet. Lmao at thinking he should already take discounts with his first post-rookie contract. this is the contract that you set yourself and your future up for life. Generational wealth.
It takes smart people to think of other possibilities.

You: Mahomes should take a standard 5 year contract and get everything that he can. Mahomes signs a 5-year contract at 40 million per year because he is the best and youngest.

Best case: he plays great for the 5 years and goes for his next contract. He notices that he lost a lot of players and did not win a lot of Super Bowls because of that. He signs a new contract with a big discount and hopes for better results. At least he has 200 million dollars in the bank. Generational wealth.

Worst case: he is injured early in his new contract. It is a career ending injury. KC pays him his 40 million and cuts him after that. 40 million. Maybe not generational wealth, but it will be enough for him to have a pretty good rest of his life.

Me: Mahomes gives KC a 10 million dollar discount to allow for the team to keep his weapons. Kelce and the gang will also give the team discounts because their leader did it ... and on his first contract.

Best case: He plays great, make 150 millions dollars, the team is a Super Bowl contender (winning 1 or 2) and he an endorsement darling for thinking team instead of himself. He has 150 million dollars in the bank not including the 50 million he made from endorsements, he has kept his team together. He has generational wealth.

Worst case: when he gave KC a discount, he won back a fully-guaranteed contract. He suffers a career-ending injury early on. He still makes 150 million dollars but he loses the Super Bowl victories and endorsements. He still has generational wealth.

See? When giving up something very valuable, you have the right to trade that for something else very valuable in return. If you think that KC would not fully-guarantee his contract if he gave them a discount, you must be enjoying Illinois' legalized marijuana law a bit too much.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was looking at 2018 numbers.

I think that Mahomes is going to break all records, including endorsements. Someone mentioned Mahomes hitting a record 40 million a year deal. Imagine him taking 30 million a year, making up the rest with 10 to 15 million in endorsements and giving KC a 10 million dollar discount.

He gets to keep his weapons, win more games, get more endorsements and win more Super Bowls.

It probably won't happen and he will end up losing many of his weapons to free agency, causing him to miss out on a couple of Super Bowl victories.
Dont get me wrong I agree. I like to say I would take less money for the team. But that might change when all those 0s were in my face. :D

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I like that Mahomes kid...but he's not even the best QB in the league currently.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

You: Mahomes should take a standard 5 year contract and get everything that he can. Mahomes signs a 5-year contract at 40 million per year because he is the best and youngest.

Best case: he plays great for the 5 years and goes for his next contract. He notices that he lost a lot of players and did not win a lot of Super Bowls because of that. He signs a new contract with a big discount and hopes for better results. At least he has 200 million dollars in the bank. Generational wealth.

Worst case: he is injured early in his new contract. It is a career ending injury. KC pays him his 40 million and cuts him after that. 40 million. Maybe not generational wealth, but it will be enough for him to have a pretty good rest of his life.

Me: Mahomes gives KC a 10 million dollar discount to allow for the team to keep his weapons. Kelce and the gang will also give the team discounts because their leader did it ... and on his first contract.

Best case: He plays great, make 150 millions dollars, the team is a Super Bowl contender (winning 1 or 2) and he an endorsement darling for thinking team instead of himself. He has 150 million dollars in the bank not including the 50 million he made from endorsements, he has kept his team together. He has generational wealth.

Worst case: when he gave KC a discount, he won back a fully-guaranteed contract. He suffers a career-ending injury early on. He still makes 150 million dollars but he loses the Super Bowl victories and endorsements. He still has generational wealth.

See? When giving up something very valuable, you have the right to trade that for something else very valuable in return. If you think that KC would not fully-guarantee his contract if he gave them a discount, you must be enjoying Illinois' legalized marijuana law a bit too much.
I live in Florida

Unrivaled

Liked Posts:
I like that Mahomes kid...but he's not even the best QB in the league currently.
Yes he is and it isn't even close. I guess maybe you could make a case for Russ Wilson but Mahomes already has as many superbowls in his 2nd year.

TomWaddle

Liked Posts:
He's not yet but if I had to venture a guess, he'll be there at the end. GOAT possibility.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even though I don't think he's there yet, consider this:

Since 2017 the league average QBR for 3rd and 15 is 6, but Mahommes QBR for 3rd and 15 is 99.

Fields2021

Fields 2021, Make Da Bears Great Again!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Dodgers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
People need to get over this pick already. I understand it set the franchise back years, and that no general manager has ever had such confidence in an unknown player. But still. Fields is the real goal.

On the bright side: We got the nicest QB of the bunch

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yes he is and it isn't even close. I guess maybe you could make a case for Russ Wilson but Mahomes already has as many superbowls in his 2nd year.
Mahomes is Russell Wilson light.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
He continues to set records, and now is the youngest Superbowl MVP ever.

Literally a coin flip and offside away from back to back Superbowls. Just amazing.

he would have to win a few once he signs that big contract that says, ya know, we’re paying you specifically to win super bowls.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
How did they manage it well? By getting Brady to not take top QB money most of his career?

maybe Brady is less selfish than you think and knew winning more superbowls would keep him making steady cash while holding onto his victoria secret model.

Tom has a life strategy. Not just a football one.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

The reason Brady won 6 is because he played for slightly under his true value. Because he valued Superbowls and Victoria secret models over Instagram influencers and one big Pay day. You could make the argument that Brady protected his career and health by taking the discount and signing lineman and TEs that could really help him succeed.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Mahommes is already generationally wealthy. How wealthy is the question.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe Brady is less selfish than you think and knew winning more superbowls would keep him making steady cash while holding onto his victoria secret model.

Tom has a life strategy. Not just a football one.
Wtf are you taking about? I wasn’t ever calling Brady selfish. Or are you just trying to argue the same point as me?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mahomes is only good because of the team around him according to some posters on this board.

But to answer the OP, Mahomes is not top 3 all time yet. He's very good. His career is bright. I expect he'll win 3-4 rings and break some TD/Yards records so when it's all said and done, he will be top 5.

Unrivaled

Liked Posts:
3 straight comebacks in playoffs down by 10 points or more is pretty impressive. 13 TDs and 2 interceptions in 2 playoff appearances.

If he retired today he's already a lock for the Hall of Fame. Thinking about it he is already top 10 for sure, debatablely top 3 to 5...