MLB plotting playoff expansion - with reality TV twist

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
All baseball needs is a reality “pick your playoff opponent” type reality TV show!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So basically

Div winner buy

#2 gets to pick his 1st round opponent

#3 gets the next choice.

Last 2 play each other.

So round 1 would have 4 match ups per league. 2 div champs and 4 wild cards.

Ok my main issue here is playing that many games will drag into a blizzard one day.

cheapjeep

A Cubs fan now in Myrtle Beach
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Green Bay Packers
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  2. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Clemson Tigers
  2. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
I think they should expand the wild card to best of 3 but thats about it. There goes the whole 'Cinderella' story/team

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So basically

Div winner buy

#2 gets to pick his 1st round opponent

#3 gets the next choice.

Last 2 play each other.

So round 1 would have 4 match ups per league. 2 div champs and 4 wild cards.

Ok my main issue here is playing that many games will drag into a blizzard one day.

They are going to have to shorten spring training at some point

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I think how it is now is best. If you have almost half the league in the playoffs, you'll have almost no trades unless they push the deadline back to almost September.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Fuck Trevor Bauer

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are going to have to shorten spring training at some point

It causes issues on the other side. More rain outs and teams still in thaws.

Status que is the best answer.

Change extends the season either way. Now I do feel that they could shorten S/T. 2 weeks of no games and 1 month of exhibition is too long but it is the routine that has been used and changing training patterns of athletes can lead to injury. On a large scale.

Add to it pushing the reg season early pushes teams in the north into freezing temps of mid March.

So the logical choice is status que. The crazy choice is change. Even making schedule changes to push games into domes and warmer climate parks for the first 2 weeks or just making the last 2 weeks of S/T count hurts revenue for the disadvantaged teams. Most ST parks are minor league stadium volume. Cubs one you sit in the grass in the OF. Nice park but we are talking about 10k and you feel over packed.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's interesting, that's for sure. I still say cut the schedule a bit. Maybe knock off two weeks?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It causes issues on the other side. More rain outs and teams still in thaws.

Status que is the best answer.

Change extends the season either way. Now I do feel that they could shorten S/T. 2 weeks of no games and 1 month of exhibition is too long but it is the routine that has been used and changing training patterns of athletes can lead to injury. On a large scale.

Add to it pushing the reg season early pushes teams in the north into freezing temps of mid March.

So the logical choice is status que. The crazy choice is change. Even making schedule changes to push games into domes and warmer climate parks for the first 2 weeks or just making the last 2 weeks of S/T count hurts revenue for the disadvantaged teams. Most ST parks are minor league stadium volume. Cubs one you sit in the grass in the OF. Nice park but we are talking about 10k and you feel over packed.

Would you rather deal with some rain outs and cold weather to start the season, or deal with a blizzard during the World Series? Games 1-14 or whatever are not anywhere near as important as the World Series weather. If there’s going to be part of the season shortened...spring training is the answer

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Would you rather deal with some rain outs and cold weather to start the season, or deal with a blizzard during the World Series? Games 1-14 or whatever are not anywhere near as important as the World Series weather. If there’s going to be part of the season shortened...spring training is the answer

Wrong. Those dates most likely become PPD and the mid season where you need a day off they end up traveling for a make up on a off date. That is a issue right now much less dealing with the shit spring thaw.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's interesting, that's for sure. I still say cut the schedule a bit. Maybe knock off two weeks?

They will not reduce the season from 162.

What could change is making series 4 games with 1 as a double header(or 12PM/7pm twilight). That crunches 4 in 3 days. Do that through out the season and you will start to see a justification of carrying a 6th starter to absorb those dates.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Wrong. Those dates most likely become PPD and the mid season where you need a day off they end up traveling for a make up on a off date. That is a issue right now much less dealing with the shit spring thaw.

Okay, so my point is still not wrong as you claim. Games in the middle of the season still do not matter more than the World Series. Same theory holds true. The World Series is baseballs showcase to the world...to have to play it out in a blizzard matters more than any game(s) in the middle of the season.

It’s really not rocket science...cut spring training short. And have teams that play in cold weather cities(like the cubs) start off their seasons on road trips to places in Florida, Texas, California, Arizona, and teams with dome stadiums. Sucks for teams like the cubs to always have to start off their season on the road for the first 2 or 3 series, but it’s the best solution IMO

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Buster was on ESPN this morning, said the divisional series do not start until the thursday after, so there are three days right there for these three game series. Apparently no more play in games, and guaranteed no rain outs during the three days. Fits the mentality of the pickem for the top teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Okay, so my point is still not wrong as you claim. Games in the middle of the season still do not matter more than the World Series. Same theory holds true. The World Series is baseballs showcase to the world...to have to play it out in a blizzard matters more than any game(s) in the middle of the season.

It’s really not rocket science...cut spring training short. And have teams that play in cold weather cities(like the cubs) start off their seasons on road trips to places in Florida, Texas, California, Arizona, and teams with dome stadiums. Sucks for teams like the cubs to always have to start off their season on the road for the first 2 or 3 series, but it’s the best solution IMO

Every game matters. Going into it thinking Mar/Apr don't matter then you end up with 10 PPD that falls on the summer. Which is basically 100 deg days out there and flying in for 1 game then flying out getting x2 jet lag.

I would rather have a honest and be
Game 1 DH 2-3 Reg. 2nd home 1-2 reg game 3-4 DH. so this way your 5&6 starters are back to back and then you go into a off date before or after the date for rest to the rosters. You keep this in sync through out all MLB teams and consistent off dates vs the current staggered system it can be done easier.

Look at it this way. That 6 day run you have 8 games played out. Then you go into a reg off date. Basically 8 games played per week.

Do the math. 162/8=20 week season plus asg break and 2 bonus games.

20 weeks is around 5 months more of less. Vs the current 6 month reg season.

So yes there would be time to have extra play offs or even a week between to clean out PPD'S