Bears may not be able to rescind fifth year option on Trubisky in the new CBA

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He's not a $25M / year QB. Even the biggest Mitch supporters can't agree to that.

We could draft somebody in the 2nd round this year, develop them for a year and give them the reigns at a fraction of the cost and probably get the same result.

If we're forced to go the $25M / year route then we have to see if guys like Carr are available.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of me says this is great because that means If Mitch balls out all the haters are eating crow and have to wonder how you sign a QB that has figured it out. The other part of me is like, if he is the same guy, then you cut ties with another but of s first round pick and be done with it. Either way, we just need to make some kind of move in the next two off seasons.

MrBiscuit

Liked Posts:
He's not a $25M / year QB. Even the biggest Mitch supporters can't agree to that.

We could draft somebody in the 2nd round this year, develop them for a year and give them the reigns at a fraction of the cost and probably get the same result.

If we're forced to go the $25M / year route then we have to see if guys like Carr are available.

I could easily see the bears still picking it up. It won't be 25/m because his performance has not been on that level. I don't think they should, but I will not be surprised if it is. That is basically the front office admitting they were wrong.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
If that goes thru he's done being a Bear after 2020. No way is he worth $24MM. Like the article explains, tagging him would cost $27MM.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It will be fully guaranteed, but it will be based on performance instead of draft slot.

Now they have a real tough decision to make
I guess we need to see what the "on performance" rather than draft position means. The Bears may get Trubisky for free on a really bad performance by him in 2020.

Seriously, this is interesting. If they pick up his 5th year and he does well in 2020, he gets a large number, but he earned the large number. If he sucks in 2020, the Bears are stuck with him but the money in the 5th year plummets.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

If that goes thru he's done being a Bear after 2020. No way is he worth $24MM. Like the article explains, tagging him would cost $27MM.
Why is reading so hard. The 5th yr option becomes performance based, so he only gets something near$24M if he balls out, if not it drops based on performance.

This is a great situation for the Bears. If Mitch takes a decent step up in 2020 and is trending up but still not top 10-12, his 5th yr will be a palatable price while buying a 5th year to see if the trend continues. If he sucks ass his 5th year price will be significantly less.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is reading so hard. The 5th yr option becomes performance based, so he only gets something near$24M if he balls out, if not it drops based on performance.

This is a great situation for the Bears. If Mitch takes a decent step up in 2020 and is trending up but still not top 10-12, his 5th yr will be a palatable price while buying a 5th year to see if the trend continues. If he sucks ass his 5th year price will be significantly less.

That'd be great!

Does it apply retroactively to contracts & offers already in place or just start at new draft class & 2020 FAs? Timing is everything.

Reactions: Myk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

True.

But I have no interest in offering a more palatable option for crappy QB play. I doubt the Bears do either.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most CBA's rules will take effect on new contracts, not pre-existing ones.

Bears are safe
Beat me too it. Terms are in the contract as signed.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
Doesnt matter. Mitch plays better and gets extended or he plays the same they suck and the team blows it up.

coolio

Liked Posts:
Bears should just do what Kyle Long said. Get a power RB and pound the rock, that's what Trubisky was brought here to do