After NBA suspends their season, what odds MLB starts on time?

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
It's only a couple of weeks until the start of the season. The NBA has suspended their season over coronavirus concerns. Anyone want to give me odds that MLB starts on time?

-New Doug

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The panic might be over in 2-3 weeks, but experts might get to know this virus in 3 months. I can see there being 4x or 10x as many cases as there are now in 2-3 weeks.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just think the cubs had the flu bug go thru their clubhouse already, I guess it was before anyone panicked about the corona virus.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
shutting down spring training now, update in 2 weeks. There will be baseball on thanksgiving.

Heard some questionable reports that the beginning of the season might take place at the spring training facilities.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
shutting down spring training now, update in 2 weeks. There will be baseball on thanksgiving.

Heard some questionable reports that the beginning of the season might take place at the spring training facilities.
Interesting idea, and I could see that happening. Wouldn't be a bad idea to play all the games in AZ/FL until the CDC sounds the all clear.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Interesting idea, and I could see that happening. Wouldn't be a bad idea to play all the games in AZ/FL until the CDC sounds the all clear.

That could almost be an interesting/fun way to handle this. Let every team keep a 40 man roster, maybe even 50. Plan on normal regular season opening up middle to late May, say Monday before Memorial Day. Start the season on 4/13 and play as the ST facilities, even still having double header or split squad games.

SIDE NOTE: What do you think of the idea of booking more double headers for like June and July? Give teams expanded rosters of say 35 players but have a list of players, maybe 8, who aren't eligible to be in the first game but can't be on that list for the 2nd game. A non-double header day would have the regular 26 man roster with 9 exempted players. You get in 6 a month and you could shorten the season by 2 weeks. Which means they'd try to expand the playoffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Doubt that they ever do that. Those parks are 8k attendance. Those games wouldn't pay the salaries of the players.

The owners would rather sit on the games until they can get regular attendance again.

Not to mention the idea is dumb. Fans will travel to games. Then pass the virus anyways. It just turns those areas into a common breeding ground for those fans to take back to their home states.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
One other option would be playing the first week or two of games in empty stadiums. At least they get TV revenue then.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Looks like they will just shorten the season to 120 games or so.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Doubt that they ever do that. Those parks are 8k attendance. Those games wouldn't pay the salaries of the players.

The owners would rather sit on the games until they can get regular attendance again.

Not to mention the idea is dumb. Fans will travel to games. Then pass the virus anyways. It just turns those areas into a common breeding ground for those fans to take back to their home states.

They are talking about playing in front of 8000 empty seats, or the legal limit of 125 or 250, as long as you are 10 feet apart right?

Its not about covering the salaries, your TV stations will go out there with a crew and it will be on TV, so those billions in TV revenue are paying the players. The rest is all profit for these rich owners right?

I really dont know how there will be an all clear anytime soon. Apparently it stays in you for 14 days before showing symptoms.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It will get to the point that everyone has/had it. All they are doing is slowing the flood.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are talking about playing in front of 8000 empty seats, or the legal limit of 125 or 250, as long as you are 10 feet apart right?

Its not about covering the salaries, your TV stations will go out there with a crew and it will be on TV, so those billions in TV revenue are paying the players. The rest is all profit for these rich owners right?

I really dont know how there will be an all clear anytime soon. Apparently it stays in you for 14 days before showing symptoms.

It is easier to play college in front of no fans. Professional sports is profit driven.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It will get to the point that everyone has/had it. All they are doing is slowing the flood.

Maybe, but they're trying to prevent overburdening the health care system more than anything. I keep reading they expect 170 - 210 M to eventually have it. We'll see though. I've read that we're anywhere from 4-8 weeks before this peaks, so we'll probably be without sports until May.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe, but they're trying to prevent overburdening the health care system more than anything. I keep reading they expect 170 - 210 M to eventually have it. We'll see though. I've read that we're anywhere from 4-8 weeks before this peaks, so we'll probably be without sports until May.
I have read that Memorial Day would be the target date or around there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, this kind of slipped through the gaps because of NCAA tourney being cancelled.

The College World Series has been cancelled even though its in June. It will not be played which could affect the MLB draft.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I have read that Memorial Day would be the target date or around there.

Problem is we have no idea how widespread it is. Estimates coming out are inconsistent because they're just guessing. I've seen 96M people to 200M people. That's a wide range. Also, it's hitting mostly temperate climates. The hotter climates are experiencing practically no cases at all. That creates an issue of whether it will return in the fall. This scenario happened with the Spanish flu and it had ended up mutating and being more deadly. Hopefully they get it under control and we can return to normal. Maybe it'll give the Cubs time to workout a deal with Comcast.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Problem is we have no idea how widespread it is. Estimates coming out are inconsistent because they're just guessing. I've seen 96M people to 200M people. That's a wide range. Also, it's hitting mostly temperate climates. The hotter climates are experiencing practically no cases at all. That creates an issue of whether it will return in the fall. This scenario happened with the Spanish flu and it had ended up mutating and being more deadly. Hopefully they get it under control and we can return to normal. Maybe it'll give the Cubs time to workout a deal with Comcast.