My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Well if we take it seriously as a country there will be. Right now we don't seem too serious about stopping this.
What a stupid thing to say. Every pharmaceutical company and research clinic in America is working on this. Restaurants and all gathering places shut down

Stop talking like a fucking idiot

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What a stupid thing to say. Every pharmaceutical company and research clinic in America is working on this. Restaurants and all gathering places shut down

Go look at the beaches of Florida and Texas right now. (to just name one example)

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
a 34 year old just died from this, I have been following this on twitter since mid January, at the point I was wearing a rubber glove to pump gas and touch debit pads and door handles people were still packing disney, he went to disney and is not dead. The spring break millenials won't stay TF home, except now they're starting to get really sick too, a couple 50 year olds just died in NJ, I wouldn't exactly call them boomers

msadows

Liked Posts:

You dumb fucking boomer.

No one is talking about restaurants and public gathering locations.

Like BaBa just said, there are plenty of 20 somethings going out STILL and acting like they are immune.

msadows

Liked Posts:
a 34 year old just died from this, I have been following this on twitter since mid January, at the point I was wearing a rubber glove to pump gas and touch debit pads and door handles people were still packing disney, he went to disney and is not dead. The spring break millenials won't stay TF home, except now they're starting to get really sick too, a couple 50 year olds just died in NJ, I wouldn't exactly call them boomers

Yup. I havent left the house since saturday.

If you can stay home, be smart. Im a heavy extrovert so it sucks horribly but its a sacrifice we should all make.

If you all think I'm crazy now just wait a few more days when I haven't left the house minus groceries.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Great informative link on COVID-19.

No fluff, just data and some common sense recommendations.

Anyway, here's the stats that should be the most concerning. When you look at the number of new confirmed cases over the past 5 days:

March 14th - 696
March 15th - 737
March 16th - 983
March 17th - 1,748
March 18th - 2,848

Also, the previously assumed demographics of the virus are changing. the previous results were largely based of the data provided by China where the largest risks were linked to people 80+ in age with pre-existing conditions. Newer date is showing a spike in 20-44 year old people. Some believe this is due to that age group not taking the warnings seriously and/or how common obesity is in North America.

Either way, we are far from the end and things will get worse before they get better. The best way I've heard it described if the flu was a book it would have a full 10 chapters, which includes a beginning, middle and end. For COVID-19 it will end up having the same 10 chapters, but right now we are probably on chapter 2.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Great informative link on COVID-19.

No fluff, just data and some common sense recommendations.

Anyway, here's the stats that should be the most concerning. When you look at the number of new confirmed cases over the past 5 days:

March 14th - 696
March 15th - 737
March 16th - 983
March 17th - 1,748
March 18th - 2,848

Also, the previously assumed demographics of the virus are changing. the previous results were largely based of the data provided by China where the largest risks were linked to people 80+ in age with pre-existing conditions. Newer date is showing a spike in 20-44 year old people. Some believe this is due to that age group not taking the warnings seriously and/or how common obesity is in North America.

Either way, we are far from the end and things will get worse before they get better. The best way I've heard it described if the flu was a book it would have a full 10 chapters, which includes a beginning, middle and end. For COVID-19 it will end up having the same 10 chapters, but right now we are probably on chapter 2.

The massive # increase of confirmed cases isn't just due to the exponential growth of the virus...a lot of it is due to the fact that we are finally testing a lil more heavily for it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
There are more than likely a ton of passive carriers going around the USA right now.

Until a few weeks ago they didn't even know about how high the rate of passive carriers there were. A lot of people develop no symptoms or just a bad cough.

Those people don't get tested unless they have to are freak out. There is a lot more panic now than a week ago.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

If only this message board had a 'champion of the people' to go out, be courageous, get careless about COVID-19 and get infected.

You know, go full Rudy Gobert and teach the wusses of the world how to be tough.

Ommy, maybe you should break your society imposed 20 year quarantine and be our champion? I honestly think you could be our Rudy Gobert!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You dumb fucking boomer.

No one is talking about restaurants and public gathering locations.

Like BaBa just said, there are plenty of 20 somethings going out STILL and acting like they are immune.

It's not even just the spring breakers. I'm shocked at the number of people still going into work like everything is AOK. I'm bunkered down at home. I walk the dog and move to the other side of the street if someone else is out. That's it. Probably have 2-3 weeks of groceries. Longer if I ration better.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The massive # increase of confirmed cases isn't just due to the exponential growth of the virus...a lot of it is due to the fact that we are finally testing a lil more heavily for it.
No doubt, but all that tells me is we have no idea how large COVID-19's impact is, let alone it's ability to spread. I'd compare it to that moment where you see ants in the basement for the first time. You see 5. Does that mean you pretend those 5 were the only ones in your basement and once you take care of them you have 'solved' your ant problem? No. It means something has been happening for a while and you've got some work to do to properly assess the issue.

As Italy is showing us, if you don't take proactive measures the health care systems in place only have so much capacity. You have probably seen, but the below chart is the 'flatten the curve' graph I'm referring too:

flatten-the-curve.jpg

When you go past the healthcare capacity line bad things happen. Just as an example this is when two heart attack patients enter a hospital around the same time and that hospital has capacity only for one. At triage they do an initial assessment, take in the person with the highest likelihood of recovery and tell the other one to find another option. Some might say that's an 'extreme' example, but it's actually what's been happening in Italy.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No doubt, but all that tells me is we have no idea how large COVID-19's impact is, let alone what it's ability to spread.

As Italy is showing us, if you don't take proactive measures the health care systems in place only have so much capacity. You have probably seen, but the below chart is what I'm referring too:

flatten-the-curve.jpg

When you go past the healthcare capacity line bad things happen. Just as an example this is when two heart attack patients enter a hospital around the same time and that hospital has capacity only for one. At triage they do an initial assessment, take in the person with the highest likelihood of recovery and tell the other one to find another option. Some might say that's an 'extreme' example, but it's actually what's happening currently in Italy.

I don't think a lot of people know this. Worst case they're thinking they have a hospital stay. Well what happens when there is no room left?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I don't think a lot of people know this. Worst case they're thinking they have a hospital stay. Well what happens when there is no room left?
I think you build more hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.