NCAA in discussion to cancel football season, will it impact the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why does the NFL have to cancel season in order to make that argument about the supplemental draft?
I just gave one example of many potential players jumping into the supplemental draft if the 2020 college season is cancelled.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
To be eligible you would have to be 3 years removed from high school and be ineligible for that final year. So guys like Lawrence would still not be eligible without a change in rules since he is a true Junior and would not be 3 years removed from High School and would still have one year of eligibility left even if 2020 counted as a year. More likely though the NCAA would not count a cancelled season as 1 year of eligibility which means Lawrence would still have 2 years of eligibility left.
If you cannot understand that it would be a special situation where players would argue that they would be negatively impacted by sitting out a whole year, than there really is no point in arguing with you.

Lawrence would be 3 years removed from high school and would be eligible to be in the 2021 draft. The NFL would have to understand that it would be better for these players to go to the NFL than sit around a whole year without football and then go in the 2021 draft anyhow.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The apex is going to happen in the next month if you look at the predictions from the scientists. The real debate is how bad the next month will be for the health care system.

A decision that far in advance should not be made out of panic no matter how bad the next month is. It should be made based on projections for July, August, September, etc. And it will be. There is just too much money on the line for them to cancel unless they absolutely have to. Regarding college football, most universities rely of CFB to make money. The bailout from the government to save the universities from going bankrupt would be insane.

The only way I see it is if they determine that a 2nd wave is worse than the initial wave. Which would be unlikely as generally viruses get weaker as they change their structure. It is likely by then we have available treatment that has completed their trials. Not to be confused with the vaccine which will not be ready until next year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you cannot understand that it would be a special situation where players would argue that they would be negatively impacted by sitting out a whole year, than there really is no point in arguing with you.

Lawrence would be 3 years removed from high school and would be eligible to be in the 2021 draft. The NFL would have to understand that it would be better for these players to go to the NFL than sit around a whole year without football and then go in the 2021 draft anyhow.

Your post made it seem it was a given. It is not. I am not saying it is not possible for the NFL to change the rules. I am saying a guy like Lawrence is not currently eligible.

There would be logistical issues even if the NFL wanted to this. You would have hundreds of players that didnt go through a combine and unlikely to have private workouts. Also peoplw that were not scouted as heavily as they were not porjected for 2020. It is easy to resolve when you taljing a handful of players eligible not when is hundreds. That would pose a huge gamble.

The only way this would work is if you had a second combine so teams could do their do diligence. And not going to do that until social distancing is relaxed.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The apex is going to happen in the next month if you look at the predictions from the scientists. The real debate is how bad the next month will be for the health care system.

A decision that far in advance should not be made out of panic no matter how bad the next month is. It should be made based on projections for July, August, September, etc. And it will be. There is just too much money on the line for them to cancel unless they absolutely have to. Regarding college football, most universities rely of CFB to make money. The bailout from the government to save the universities from going bankrupt would be insane.

The only way I see it is if they determine that a 2nd wave is worse than the initial wave. Which would be unlikely as generally viruses get weaker as they change their structure. It is likely by then we have available treatment that has completed their trials. Not to be confused with the vaccine which will not be ready until next year.

Universities don't rely on football money to operate. The football money stays in athletics. Academic affairs is a whole different budget.

And most universities lose money on football. Most all the universities that aren't power five do.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-is-a-money-pit-and-one-school-has-had-enough

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the corona was here before anyone realized it and I am pretty sure I already had it......I will be going out in May come hell or high water.... I will watch re-runs of old football if necessary

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But Trump wants us all to go back to normal on April 13th...

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
We have not even reached the peak of this virus. They are saying that could be 3-4 weeks (no one really knows) in my area and some other areas can end up like New York at that time (wish they would just lockdown the entire country and quit prolonging this - people are not going to listen). No way in hell is New York going to be ready for a football season with as many deaths they have had so far and no one is going to want to travel to that area for a while. As far as NCAA, this will be bad for universities as they get a ton of money from football. A lot of people will be impacted. In my opinion, I think we are going to be stuck in our houses for at least a year, just for a fact that the virus is not going away without a vaccine. If football does start up, what is going to happen when a player or team employee get the virus, are they going to shut everything down again? And it is inevitable that some team person would get the virus at some point in the season. The best solution right now is to hope that some of the medicine they are testing works and gets approved as a treating option. It is going to suck without football if they cancel the season.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
Anyone who thinks people are going to sit in their house for 7 months is 100% mentally fucking Special person. This is going to run its course. A lot of unhealthy old people will die slightly early deaths and a few young people will die from it. Talking about shutting things down 6 months from now is dumb as fuck. It can happen but it shouldn't happen. The weather in chicago isnt even nice yet. Just wait till spring really hits. People WILL be out and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The shelter in place thing buys hospitals a few weeks to get prepared but that is the end of the value of it. Shutting everything down for more than about 5 or 6 weeks is not really an option realistically. Just wait.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
We have not even reached the peak of this virus. They are saying that could be 3-4 weeks (no one really knows) in my area and some other areas can end up like New York at that time (wish they would just lockdown the entire country and quit prolonging this - people are not going to listen). No way in hell is New York going to be ready for a football season with as many deaths they have had so far and no one is going to want to travel to that area for a while. As far as NCAA, this will be bad for universities as they get a ton of money from football. A lot of people will be impacted. In my opinion, I think we are going to be stuck in our houses for at least a year, just for a fact that the virus is not going away without a vaccine. If football does start up, what is going to happen when a player or team employee get the virus, are they going to shut everything down again? And it is inevitable that some team person would get the virus at some point in the season. The best solution right now is to hope that some of the medicine they are testing works and gets approved as a treating option. It is going to suck without football if they cancel the season.
A year? That is idiotic fear mongering. That 100% will not happen.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:
I think the corona was here before anyone realized it and I am pretty sure I already had it......I will be going out in May come hell or high water.... I will watch re-runs of old football if necessary
I agree. My wife was sick in late feb for lielke 12 days with flu and respiratory symptoms. It really lingered a strangely long time. They told her she had influenza a bit they really didn't know to test for anything else. I'm pretty sure she had one of the strains of it.

reggie_love

Liked Posts:

This isnt remotely true. If football does make money at a school it most likely subsidizes other sports but most schools dont make money on football anyways. The money stays in athletics regardless. I work for a fcs school. You 100% dont know what you're talking about.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Even with a vaccine, the virus isn't going to go away. Coronaviruses in general are cold viruses. We have been trying for decades to get vaccines that work for coronaviruses. They have not been that successful. What makes you think that we magically will find the right solution this time? What eventually works is people develop immunity to the virus.

Listen to Andrew Fauci.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-fauci-those-who-recover-will-be-immune-2020-3

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
A year? That is idiotic fear mongering. That 100% will not happen.
Can't stand this comment "fear mongering". I don't get it when people use this. It has already been reported that this can last over a year due to a second wave. Hoping it doesn't happen but there were some on here that believed that states would never implement lockdowns and they have.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This isnt remotely true. If football does make money at a school it most likely subsidizes other sports but most schools dont make money on football anyways. The money stays in athletics regardless. I work for a fcs school. You 100% dont know what you're talking about.
https://www.businessinsider.com/college-sports-football-revenue-2017-10

Fair enough about the FCS schools not making money. The major schools make tons. I did not know that it stayed in athletics. Regardless though, if the canceled college football, it would likely have to be bad enough that the fall semester of colleges would also be shutdown completely.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Even with a vaccine, the virus isn't going to go away. Coronaviruses in general are cold viruses. We have been trying for decades to get vaccines that work for coronaviruses. They have not been that successful. What makes you think that we magically will find the right solution this time? What eventually works is people develop immunity to the virus.

Listen to Andrew Fauci.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-fauci-those-who-recover-will-be-immune-2020-3
I have and you are right about the immunity (still being studied) but it is not like everyone is going to be immune by next year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Once the first lockdown is over and the number of cases is low enough, new measures like contact tracing can be implemented to limit outbreaks. It's very likely that a second wave will be much less lethal because that's how viruses operate. And the next peak won't be what the first one because of herd immunity and, unfortunately, lots of the most vulnerable will have already passed away.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I have and you are right about the immunity (still being studied) but it is not like everyone is going to be immune by next year.
By the time a 2nd wave hits, we are going to be 100 times more prepared than this time. They just approved Abbott's test for a rapid coronavirus test that can be completed in 20 minutes. They are also working on an antibody test that would show everyone who is already built immunity towards the virus. That should be completed by the fall. It's likely by that time that the fewer people the virus has left to infect we will be able to more easily quarantine and not have another major breakout. And if some of the drug treatments are available, I don't think the virus will be treated with as much fear.

Worst case scenario is the structure somehow changes for the worse. Everything I have read says that this is very unlikely to happen with these types of viruses.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Your post made it seem it was a given. It is not. I am not saying it is not possible for the NFL to change the rules. I am saying a guy like Lawrence is not currently eligible.

There would be logistical issues even if the NFL wanted to this. You would have hundreds of players that didnt go through a combine and unlikely to have private workouts. Also peoplw that were not scouted as heavily as they were not porjected for 2020. It is easy to resolve when you taljing a handful of players eligible not when is hundreds. That would pose a huge gamble.

The only way this would work is if you had a second combine so teams could do their do diligence. And not going to do that until social distancing is relaxed.
In the hypothetical situation of college football being cancelled in 2020, the NFL would be in uncharted waters.

Being uncharted waters, it would not be a stretch of the imagination that the NFL would loosen the 3 year out of HS rule, because college football players would not be able to play college football for a year, meaning that the NFL would force them to stagnate for a year.

Funny thing is that these players couldn't play football (no college football season) nor could they train for a combine because they couldn't go to a specialized training facility nor go to college campus to train.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. My wife was sick in late feb for lielke 12 days with flu and respiratory symptoms. It really lingered a strangely long time. They told her she had influenza a bit they really didn't know to test for anything else. I'm pretty sure she had one of the strains of it.
I had something akin to pneumonia in late Dec and Jan. I don’t get sick, but it kicked my ass for a few weeks. Previous to that I traveled to Seattle and NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.