Is there a statistic that measures a QB's correct read percentage?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I feel like I have seen this somewhere but am having a hard time finding it. I feel that this is the primary driver behind Mitch's failures. I would like to see his numbers compared to his peers.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I don't know, but my feeling is the coaches have this stat and that's why they went hard after Foles.

When coaches review tape, they know where the ball was supposed to go with or without pressure, and my gut feeling is Mitch gets it wrong - A LOT.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's possible to get any of that because each scheme asks different levels of reading from the QB. For example, Kyle Shanahan is largely regarded as a great play designer where schematically he does a great job at making reads easy and fairly open. Some maybe more 'traditional' systems ask the QB to make many of the reads.

From as statistical side it's hard for a model to determine how much of read/recognition is the system and how much is the player.

Just as an example I'll use the Pats/Eagles Superbowl (just came in my pants). Brady passed for 505 yards with 3 TDs and 0 Ints. He was hitting guys that were 2+ yard open regularly. Conversely 'Big Dick' |Nick passed for 373 yards, 3 TDs and a pick. He was hitting players in tight windows in clutch moments (3rd and 4th down).

When you look back at a game like that, how can you accurately assess who was going through their progressions better or making better reads? Systematically Brady had many guys running wide open. He still executed, but the GOAT was on and his stat line shows it. Foles also made great reads, but had a smaller margin for error and ultimately made enough plays to help pull out the win.

In short, it's hard to do an apples-to-apples comparison in this area. Like mentioned by @halftime the coaches know. My bet is Nagy has some added comfort with Foles because he and Pederson both come from the Andy Reid coaching tree, so fundamentally they have similar bases.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah I know it would be hard to do, but site like football outsiders and PFF do have a general idea of what reads should be made. The stat would't be 100% accurate but it would give us more information than we didn't have.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trubisky can’t read coloring book numbers much less understand Nagys ridiculous playbook and apply it to the field.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I feel like I have seen this somewhere but am having a hard time finding it. I feel that this is the primary driver behind Mitch's failures. I would like to see his numbers compared to his peers.

Mitch is usually making the correct reads. If he weren't hed throw more interceptions.

Now you can make the case that his issue is making the correct read late, which is true at times.

Once again, his issues are his accuracy and his confidence.

If he completed his layups, like other nfl qb's, no one would be talking about how he can't "read the field". Fuck, no one would be talking period, because he'd be a pretty good QB.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Mitch is usually making the correct reads. If he weren't hed throw more interceptions.

Now you can make the case that his issue is making the correct read late, which is true at times.

Once again, his issues are his accuracy and his confidence.

If he completed his layups, like other nfl qb's, no one would be talking about how he can't "read the field". Fuck, no one would be talking period, because he'd be a pretty good QB.

Most of his passes are “layups”. He rarely throws downfield.

His AYA is atrocious at 5.9.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Most of his passes are “layups”. He rarely throws downfield.

He had the 3rd most 20+ yard targets in the nfl in 2018?

I think you are confusing Jimmy G and Mitch Trubisky.

They throw it with him, he just misses.

Like I said, he's making more than enough of the correct reads. Every QB also lingers on their first read(especially when its allen robinson). If you don't believe me go watch a packers game(puke) and see how often Rodgers stares down Adams.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He was in about the 15th range for 20+ yard attempts this year.

I feel like there is a lot of false narrative on Mitch on here.

He sucks, but people are making up their own reasons for why he sucks and what he can't do well.

They throw it deep with him, bears actually have a very aggressive offense. He just can't hit open WR's in stride no matter the distance.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
He had the 3rd most 20+ yard targets in the nfl in 2018?

I think you are confusing Jimmy G and Mitch Trubisky.

They throw it with him, he just misses.

Like I said, he's making more than enough of the correct reads. Every QB also lingers on their first read(especially when its allen robinson). If you don't believe me go watch a packers game(puke) and see how often Rodgers stares down Adams.

Haha Jimmy G was the 3rd highest in the league in yards per attempt. This can’t be your argument.

5.9 AY/A 31st in the NFL
9.6 Y/C 32nd in the NFL

If you want to go back 2 years Mitch was even below average in 2018.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And sadly I think the fact he has sheit accuracy is a much much bigger issue than the fact he "can't read the field".

An offseason can sometimes fix not knowing the playbook and not reading the field well.

Usually if you're inaccurate that shit doesn't go away.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
He was in about the 15th range for 20+ yard attempts this year.

I feel like there is a lot of false narrative on Mitch on here.

He sucks, but people are making up their own reasons for why he sucks and what he can't do well.

They throw it deep with him, bears actually have a very aggressive offense. He just can't hit open WR's in stride no matter the distance.

Nobody is making up shit. Mitch is a dink and dunk QB. The stats don’t lie. He is 31st in the NFL in yards per attempt. It’s really that simple.

msadows

Liked Posts:

5.9 AY/A 31st in the NFL
9.6 Y/C 32nd in the NFL

If you want to go back 2 years Mitch was even below average in 2018.

Y/C and Y/A have a lot to do with YAC.

If you look at attempts, which is what "throwing it deep" means, he was top 5 in 20+ yard attempts in 18. 19 he still had 46 which ranked for about average in the league.

You said he rarely throws down field, which is false.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nobody is making up shit. Mitch is a dink and dunk QB. The stats don’t lie. He is 31st in the NFL in yards per attempt. It’s really that simple.
Yea, yea you are. To fit a narrative.

You said we don't throw deep, thats a lie. To...fit a narrative.

Please tell me how many QB's on this list have more than 64 attempts?

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-2.42.35-am.png

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Yea, yea you are. To fit a narrative.

You said we don't throw deep, thats a lie. To...fit a narrative.

Please tell me how many QB's on this list have more than 64 attempts?

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-2.42.35-am.png

“To...fit a narrative”. Your post are the definition of fitting a narrative.

You are bring up 1 stat from 2 years ago that counts for 64 attempts of his 400+ attempts. Lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
“To...fit a narrative”. Your post are the definition of fitting a narrative.

You are bring up 1 stat from 2 years ago that counts for 64 attempts of his 400+ attempts. Lol

You said he throws short screens and doesn't throw it deep.

That's just 100% false.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Y/C and Y/A have a lot to do with YAC.

If you look at attempts, which is what "throwing it deep" means, he was top 5 in 20+ yard attempts in 18. 19 he still had 46 which ranked for about average in the league.

You said he rarely throws down field, which is false.
2019 Mitch...
20th Intended air yards per attempt
30th Completed air yards per attempt

So yes, he did throw down field less than the average QB, he’s just miserable at it

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mitch is just piss poor accurate, which is a head scratcher, because he didn't really have that issue in his one year at NC.

Yea, his deep ball has always been very poor from an accuracy standpoint, but anything under 20 yards he'd make a nice throw in college.

Then he came into the nfl and can't accurately hit a fucking WR on a screen so they can get YAC.