Oline observations from Thayer

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The personnel isn't good enough. As Kreutz said they do not have a single dominant player on the OL.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As SugarWalls has linked, apparently, Castillo has done wonders in the past, most recently with the Buffalo Bills and the Running Game on O.

We will see for ourselves if he can make chicken soup out of chicken ----

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I still don't understand why the Bears didn't significantly address their most glaring need from last year. A couple 7th round draft picks and Ifedi ain't gonna cut it.

napo55

Liked Posts:
As SugarWalls has linked, apparently, Castillo has done wonders in the past, most recently with the Buffalo Bills and the Running Game on O.

We will see for ourselves if he can make chicken soup out of chicken ----

Doesn't this sound very familiar?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
They were very poorly coached last year. No one seemed to know their assignments. Better coaching and we can be, not horrible. I think the ceiling is average with this talent. We seen the floor.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
thats the sticking point, warford is not a fit in zone blocking...you need athletic guards who can get out and move well...warford does not fit that, hes a power guy...i'm sure castillo could make adjustments but given what castillo has done in the past i'm sure he thinks he can elevate ifedi/bars/rookie to fit he RG role he needs

Warford graded out significantly higher than any of our linemen while with Saints who run a lot of zone.

Saints have a good OL. They can afford to be picky in looking for ideal fits. Not sure the Bears have the luxury of passing on players who despite not being ideal fits still block better in zone than anyone we have.

Also, we ran zone around 80% of time under Fox. Nagy dropped that to 60% so he actually wants to diversify and run zone and gap. So Warford not being a fit seems overblown. We lack the guys to run gap which is why Howard's numbers dropped in 2018 as he was 4.1 YPC in zone and 2.9 in gap.

So unless Nagy scrapped wanting to run more gap, Warford is a better fit than the weak guys we have now.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
If the bears truly think they have a team to compete, which I don’t think they do on the offensive side of the ball, then they need to sign peters and Warford to give them a shot but like I said I don’t think they truly think they have the team either.

Not only is the talent pretty weak on offense it’s extremely shallow too. God forbid anything happens to robinson or montgomery

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I still don't understand why the Bears didn't significantly address their most glaring need from last year. A couple 7th round draft picks and Ifedi ain't gonna cut it.

The QB is getting run out of town. They traded his RB, his O line is one of the worst in the league. The TEs are the worst in the league. The WRs outside Robinson dont really produce anything accept they have top drops in the league.

Mitch is gone next year. The QB carousel in Chicago will go on forever.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Me and Kreutz are on the same page. Been saying the same thing myself:

"Among his statements included a concern that Matt Nagy might not know how to craft an actual run scheme."

Just rewatched some 2019 shitshow games. I think Nagy is terrible at run blocking schemes. He has guys switching blocks and pulling leaving gaps wide open for LBs or D-linemen who are faster at running straight line than the next door OL is at switching over to block him alomst as if Nagy thinks just playing switchup blocking would confuse the defense but it's laughable how many times the DL would just run through an open hole and ,murder Montgomery who should get an A on the play just for holding on to the handoff that hits him simultaneously as the defensive lineman. His shotgun runs are godawful and his runs up the middle lol

His I formations work well, it plays well with the OL but he doesn't beleieve in I-formation ... dear God in heaven, help me not to believe even less than I already do. Amen.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Me and Kreutz are on the same page. Been saying the same thing myself:

"Among his statements included a concern that Matt Nagy might not know how to craft an actual run scheme."

The genius offensive guru doesn’t know how to craft a run scheme? Well that’s interesting.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
They were very poorly coached last year. No one seemed to know their assignments. Better coaching and we can be, not horrible. I think the ceiling is average with this talent. We seen the floor.

The assignments never fit the players. Massie and Leno are not Zone Blocking fits at all... In fact, Leno is best when he is just asked to do one thing without worrying about what the QB is going to do. If Mitch decides to hand it off, it's Lenos job to be on his guy and not let him make a play, which isn't his strength. Leno is good at giving up ground but not giving up sacks. When you run zone the most important thing is not giving up ground.

Massie is a power run RT, he's good at going forward and not changing direction. Which is why when Mitch tries to throw the ball we saw Massie getting beat around the edge. If Mitch hands it off its Massie's fault for not getting back on the edge rusher and holding him out of the play. Problem is big guys like that don't change direction very well.

The offense simply doesn't fit the players. We might see another year of the RPO run like shit because it isn't a good fit for the Oline or the QB. The QB is mobile enough to run it to keep people honest 3 maybe 4 times a game, but not to make it the identity of the offense. Which is what Nagy is trying to do. Also, Mitch has proven he is best when rolling out, but he is also very good when he can scramble. The fact that we didn't design roll-outs and have a WR reversing the field even if its a fake to keep defenses honest boggles the mind. It could have been a guaranteed 2-5 yards every time you carefully selected one of those plays. Instead we forced plays that had a low percentage of success from the start of the season.