IST: Cubs vs. Royals (Home/Home series)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know it’s only the Pirates and the Royals but don’t look now the bullpen has seven straight shut out of innings.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Fly the flag, sing the song!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hendricks opened the season with a three hit shutout and three other starters have been better through two games.

That’s not criticism. Kyle is nails. Just a comment on first two weeks performances

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
I know it’s only the Pirates and the Royals but don’t look now the bullpen has seven straight shut out of innings.

Kimbrel was available today and the fact Ross kept him on the bench is a very good sign.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kimbrel was available today and the fact Ross kept him on the bench is a very good sign.
Cuibs need Kimbrel. His stuff is there. Its location and confidence. He needs to gain it. Rossy said almost the same. I trust Rossy on knowing these things.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Maddon and he will always be the coach that got us a ship but that young blood of Rossy seems to be working. Them boys having fun out there and showing what they are as players.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I love Maddon and he will always be the coach that got us a ship but that young blood of Rossy seems to be working. Them boys having fun out there and showing what they are as players.
I feel the same way.

Maddon was the right guy to win, but perhaps not the guy to sustain it. I will always love Maddon, but I knew the team needed a change

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

We always heard how big Rossy was in that clubhouse with every team he was with, there was nothing but disappointment with Maddon after Ross left. If you agree with the 182 million dollar Heyward's pep talk during the rainout after Maddon tried to throw game 7 making him worth this deal, then there were plenty of other reasons the cubs won that "ship".

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel has been bad since day 1. The only thing the Cubs need is a refund on Kimbrel's dollars so that Theo can go shopping, lol.

If there is anything to learn from Ross is he has been a asset to the pitching staff. The rotation has far exceeded expectations and has carried the team.

The fact that he shut down Kimbrel tells me that he is far more proactive vs reactive as a manager. Stop and fix then test before pushing into game action vs letting the team suffer through his issues.

The beauty of this season is every game matters and they have a expanded roster where they are forced to be smart. And Ross has proven to be on top of it.

i believe that we as fans are very lucky right now to have Ross running the team. From what we have seen over his brief tenure it bodes well as he gains experience.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I always thought Maddon's biggest flaw was managing himself. He seemed to overthink a lot of shit. Still, the BP was so bad that you can't put everything on Maddon. More BP help in 17 might have seen the Cubs go back-to-back.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I always thought Maddon's biggest flaw was managing himself. He seemed to overthink a lot of shit. Still, the BP was so bad that you can't put everything on Maddon. More BP help in 17 might have seen the Cubs go back-to-back.

Doubtful. Cubs squeeked by before the Dodgers and Astros got great. Add to it they let their lead off walk.

Making KB the lead off was a smart move. End the marry go round.

Right now they are playing over their talent level. I see them as a top 5 right now and that is all on the rotation's performance. But in a head to head with another top 5 it becomes sketchy.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Doubtful. Cubs squeeked by before the Dodgers and Astros got great. Add to it they let their lead off walk.

Right now they are playing over their talent level. I see them as a top 5 right now and that is all on the rotation's performance. But in a head to head with another top 5 it becomes sketchy.

I didn't say it would definitely happen, but all they had in 17 coming out of the pen was Davis. Dude was exhausted by the NLCS.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I didn't say it would definitely happen, but all they had in 17 coming out of the pen was Davis. Dude was exhausted by the NLCS.

I liked Davis a lot. But it was more so due to the rotation losing talent. Jake got worse after his run and he didn't have a Lester and Hendricks to hide behind. Q has been a back of the rotation starter.

To be honest right now the rotation looks better than 2016. Chatwood has reworked his cutter to counter lefties. That is a big deal as they were hitting over .300 on him. What we are seeing with him is the results of hard work.

To be honest he might end up a resigning this off season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

This is why they say this starter ERA is not sustainable. So let Q have a spot and with no off days to speak of and double headers bound to happen, let them run out the 6 to keep them rested.

No comment on KB leading off. I prefer they put the pressure on Bryant and Rizzo to drive runs in. Contrares, Javy and Nico can work to be on ahead of them. I dont know where the mentality of put your best hitters up first to get more at bats came from. That works in spring training when you want them to get two or three and put the shower slippers on. Gotta stop depending on the long ball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They also got complacent. Baez mentioned the whole team didn’t prepare for the games including him. Maddon getting let go probably lit a little fire plus Ross acountability

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is why they say this starter ERA is not sustainable. So let Q have a spot and with no off days to speak of and double headers bound to happen, let them run out the 6 to keep them rested.

No comment on KB leading off. I prefer they put the pressure on Bryant and Rizzo to drive runs in. Contrares, Javy and Nico can work to be on ahead of them. I dont know where the mentality of put your best hitters up first to get more at bats came from. That works in spring training when you want them to get two or three and put the shower slippers on. Gotta stop depending on the long ball.

Well the thing is Bryant can run and brings a OBA near .400. Rizzo sits near .400 OBA also. You really want your 1&2 to be your best OBA hitters. The fact that there is no pitcher hitting takes away the runners on base issue ahead of them.

Add to it Baez, Schwarber and Contreras 3-5 is a excellent middle of the order. Then the bottom has been flexible.

Over all it is a intelligent line up. It is not overpowered at all. But based off of the talent it is put together well. But sure having a true lead off in CF playing everyday would be ideal. But in lieu of that the current construction is as good as it gets.

That said this is a minor concern. A larger one is the pen. They are not going to last long with Jeffries, Statler and Wick every day. Now this is not a bad thing because this issue means the save is on the table.

It is a 2 edged sword for sure.

All we can hope for is Kimbrel and Ryan improving.

If we are complaining about these guys holding the lead then something is going right with this team.

That is the way that I am approaching this.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
I was looking over the Cubs roster the other day and Albert Almora is already 26 years old, going on his 6th year in the Majors. For a #6 overall draft choice we can safely say he's been a huge disappointment. Once his cheap deal runs out Theo will wave bye bye, lol

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was looking over the Cubs roster the other day and Albert Almora is already 26 years old, going on his 6th year in the Majors. For a #6 overall draft choice we can safely say he's been a huge disappointment. Once his cheap rook deal runs out Theo will wave bye bye, lol

I was targeting Fried who went to the Pad's. That draft in general was a bit of a disappointing draft. Correa was the correct #1. Wacha and Stroman were solid late round picks. Gallo was a solid comp round McCullers was a solid pick again by the Astros in that phase.

So looking at it realistically Theo wanted Almora and didn't let anything change that. Fried would have been a great choice. Giolito ended up busting until he was traded. There is nothing that tells me that it would have been him traded by Theo.

So 2012 was a clunker. Sure it produced some talent but it really came up short

So in general Theo picking Almora was of little impact as that draft was meh.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Cuibs need Kimbrel. His stuff is there. Its location and confidence. He needs to gain it. Rossy said almost the same. I trust Rossy on knowing these things.
I wonder if he is tipping his pitches. They almost seem to know what is coming, especially when it's a fastball.