Do the Bears let Pace draft another QB?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Barring a miracle at this point, Bears have to draft a QB. Doesn't matter who is the GM.

If foles continues to play well this year I think you can wait until the following year to draft a QB.

Invest that first rounder in a left tackle.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Hey, look at the positives, least we didn't draft jordan love over a wide receiver.

Now that was a dumbass move.

And now Rodgers is playing his ass off and the Packers are somehow better after whiffing their first two draft picks.....its BS lol!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Also spends way too much in free agency for the amount he misses. Does not seem to understand how to value players and trades.

He is solid on day 3 of the draft, that shouldn't save your job.

There's the windy we know. I was a little worried you were switching back to the positive side after talking so much about how you the Trubisky was looking so much better the first couple of weeks but the Pace hate is still bleeding in your veins.

R.Pace has done a good job as the GM. He's done good in free agency and has done really good in drafts. The Trubisky pick turned out horrible with how good Mahomes has turned out to be but as we all know, NOBODY thought Mahomes would be anything close to what he's been and Trubisky was the best QB in that draft by many of the "Draft experts" and anyone who has just a little bit of common sense would realize that even though pace is a GM that doesn't mean he knows what players will be and that goes for every GM that's ever been a GM in the NFL.

If Pace is the GM whenever we go QB in the draft then of course he gets that chance to draft our next QB. I'm sure he'll consult with Nagy and the other offensive coaches and all of his scouts just like he does with any draft pick but in the end it will be his choice to make.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Were going to be picking in the 20s probably. Could we get a franchise QB there? I don't think so. I think we don't draft one next year cause our draft position. Probably in 2022

I agree. what about the potential possibility of the Giants tanking for Trevor and moving off of Daniel Jones? Do you take a trade?

I think Daniel Jones could really blossom with a coach like Nagy. Not sure what I would give up though. Probably a 3rd which won't be enough.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't think Pace should be given a pass. He stated when he came on board that he would draft a QB every year if needed. He has drafted only 1, and that is what makes me believe he can not be trusted to pick the next QB.

He was either convinced that Mitch was so good that he did not need to draft another, or he could not evaluate the QB position well enough to pick a developmental guy in the mid/late rounds.

He has had a hand in most of the failed FA QBs, but it is obvious that Nagy had a big say in getting Foles.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Because his ability to identify OG talent isn't really relevant.

GMs do not generally survive missing on top 5 QBs because of the damage is does to the franchise. Pace traded up and made a historically bad pick at QB, I am not sure why anyone would want him making another one.
Do you suggest that the Bears fire him if they make the playoffs this year? I just don't see that happening.

If he is the GM going into the next draft, they can't really stop him from drafting a QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Unless a gm is hitting 90% he isn't good in CCS's eyes.

I've previously posted other GM's track records who won Executive of the Year. Their track records aren't exactly pretty.

I've posted this stat before, but nagy drafted as many pro bowlers(yes, mitch, i know) in 2017 as the patriots have since 2010.

He missed on the qb position, and thats inexcusable, but other than that he's done okay, IMO. Has he been fantastic? Hell no. Is he a complete clueless moron? Nope, because we've seen those.

Do I trust him to draft another QB? Sure, with nagy's input.

I've been on here for years asking the Pace haters to tell which GM's they think are the best to ever do it so i could go show them all the mistakes those GM's have made but it's weird cause every time i would ask that those posters would just stop posting about it or act like i never asked...LOL

There's no such thing as a GM that doesn't make multiple mistakes and does it almost every single offseason.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I've been on here for years asking the Pace haters to tell which GM's they think are the best to ever do it so i could go show them all the mistakes those GM's have made but it's weird cause every time i would ask that those posters would just stop posting about it or act like i never asked...LOL

There's no such thing as a GM that doesn't make multiple mistakes and does it almost every single offseason.

Yup.

The only real thing I blame nagy for is the Mitch miss. I understood it. I get it, he had a higher upside than watson, and he was less risky than mahomes.

It wasn't the guy I wanted, but I understood it.

The hit rate in the first round is 50%. I'd say he probably has a 50% hit rate as far as EVERY round thus far(That might be an exaggeration, but he found some real late round gems that play for other teams now too).

No matter what, he built a superbowl caliber defense, and has retooled this offense from the dead. The issue has always been the qb position.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, how many GM's inherited not only one of the worst offenses in franchise history but also one of the worst defenses too?

Rare.

msadows

Liked Posts:
According to SRS(Simple Rating System), 2014 and 2016 were 2 of the 9 worst teams in franchise history.

He inherited a shit show. 23rd ranked offense. 31st ranked defense.

Bad. Basically the whole squad had to be gutted.

I don't forgive him for his mistakes but I never thought his tenure would be without its hiccups.

He is lightyears better than his predecessors.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Hey, look at the positives, least we didn't draft jordan love over a wide receiver.

Now that was a dumbass move.

Wait a minute...
How can u question what the Pack do at the Qb position? When is the last time they had a substandard Qb?

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Not even close. Mitch was bad, but he at least put forward some good performances.

Most disappointing draft pick? Sure. Floyd and White were both top 10 picks and easily worse than mitch.

He hit and missed, it happens.
Agreed. White had no route tree from WV and Floyd was too small to play OLB. Big red flags on both yet Pace still took them. Mitch at least was the #1 QB on most peoples boards even though I personally thought he was insane to not take Watson.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OP specifically asked if Pace will be allowed to draft another qb not whether he should. The answer to that is yes.

Not sure why there is so much confidence in Nagy to evaluate QB talent based on who he has been around on other teams - did he have anything to do with drafting those players?

The way things are heading I don't think the Bears draft in the top ten so he's unlikely to fuck up so colossally again. Even if they make the playoffs I think they should draft a QB instead of just signing a backup off the scrap heap and riding with Foles indefinitely.

There may be value in the second or third round with a low floor-high ceiling type guy or someone with an injury history who flashed when healthy.

Although no one has handcuffed him yet, I suspect Pace will be held on a short leash in terms of burning ammo to trade up for a qb. If he trades away picks for another shit QB his seat will be hot no matter what their record is the following year.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
He's only picked 1 qb in 6 drafts so I don't think we have to worry about him picking another one. :)

DB012031

Liked Posts:
If foles continues to play well this year I think you can wait until the following year to draft a QB.

Invest that first rounder in a left tackle.

Agreed because I think a lot of people don't realize that at the start of this season, there were only 3 QB's that most "experts" have pegged for the first round: Lawrence (Clemson), Fields (Ohio State) and Lance (North Dakota). Other than that, no one had any other QB's in the top 30 picks. So, unless the Bears either royally screw up and finish in the top 5-7 range, they can only hope to pull a Green Bay and draft Lance at say 15-18 range. However, with the way the schedule shakes out, Bears very well go 10-6 and are in the playoffs which means they will draft too late and don't really have the draft capital to move up.

So, now you start looking at 2nd/3rd Round picks and that leaves us with Purdy from ISU, KJ Costello (Stanford/MSU), Trask from Florida, Ehlinger from Texas or Mond from A&M. So, really, its a piss poor draft class after the First round. If pushed, I would probably look at Costello as long as he continues to produce at MSU. Has the size and intangibles to be a starting NFL QB, just was never asked to do a whole lot at Stanford.

If I am leading the Bears Draft room I am looking at Offensive Line, Linebacker and secondary in the first 2 rounds. Keep building that quality depth and if Costello is there in the 3rd, take him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
According to SRS(Simple Rating System), 2014 and 2016 were 2 of the 9 worst teams in franchise history.

He inherited a shit show. 23rd ranked offense. 31st ranked defense.

Bad. Basically the whole squad had to be gutted.

I don't forgive him for his mistakes but I never thought his tenure would be without its hiccups.

He is lightyears better than his predecessors.
This. I don't get the Pace hate. Find me one guy who's never made a mistake or made a bad pick, which seems to be the standard that Pace has been held to. I personally don't hold Kevin White against him cause it's not Pace's fault the dude got catastrophically hurt 3 years in a row. Floyd wasn't as good as his draft position but wasn't a total bust and obviously we have Trubisky. Roquan Smith was a good pick. He's got a lot of good picks in the later rounds and a lot of good free agent pickups. From what he inherited to where we are now (even moreso in 2018 at 12-4) is quite an impressive turnaround. If Foles is more reminiscent of super bowl MVP Foles rather than 3 teams in 3 years Foles then we'll be cooking with fire here.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well, it is going to haappen. Just a matter of what round
Also spends way too much in free agency for the amount he misses. Does not seem to understand how to value players and trades.

He is solid on day 3 of the draft, that shouldn't save your job.
Why not?

It doesn't matter how much he wastes on FA's or his record on QB picks. It's W's and L's. If the Bears won the SB with 5th-7th rnders and UDFA's starting at every position, he still would be a great GM.

If they make the playoffs this year he is safe and will likely be drafting a QB late 1st thru 3rd rnd. Any trade up would likely be limited to a small amount of draft capital but that is about the extent of the repercussions from missing on Mitch.