Do the Bears let Pace draft another QB?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
This. I don't get the Pace hate. Find me one guy who's never made a mistake or made a bad pick, which seems to be the standard that Pace has been held to. I personally don't hold Kevin White against him cause it's not Pace's fault the dude got catastrophically hurt 3 years in a row. Floyd wasn't as good as his draft position but wasn't a total bust and obviously we have Trubisky. Roquan Smith was a good pick. He's got a lot of good picks in the later rounds and a lot of good free agent pickups. From what he inherited to where we are now (even moreso in 2018 at 12-4) is quite an impressive turnaround. If Foles is more reminiscent of super bowl MVP Foles rather than 3 teams in 3 years Foles then we'll be cooking with fire here.

So, just my opinion obviously, but its not that he made a bad pick, that happens frequently. Its the amount of draft capital he gave up to move 1 spot in the draft for a team that was NEVER going to take a QB in San Fran. If Pace stood firm and still took Mitch 3rd, yea, we would all still be pissed because of Mahomes and Watson..BUT, we would have all those draft picks back where maybe Mitch doesn't look as bad because the rest of the team is solid.

QB's bust out alot, its a given, but when you give up that much to move 1 spot (and again, to a team that was probably never going to take a QB AND even if someone else traded with SanFran, they weren't taking Tribs...) that is unforgiveable.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
TRUE! And his record in the 2nd round isn't too shabby either

Eddie Goldman, 2nd round
Cody Whitehair, 2nd round
James Daniel's, 2nd round
Anthony Miller, 2nd round
Jaylon Johnson, 2nd round
Adrian Amos, 5th round
Nick Kwiatkowski, 4th round
Deon Bush, 4th round
Jordan Howard, 5th round
Eddie Jackson, 4th round
Tarek Cohen, 4th round
Bilai Nichols, 5th round
Javon Wims, 7th round
Darnell Mooney, 5th round
etc
etc

Also, while Pace gets shat on for his 1st rd picks, he has only had 3 of them. He hasn't had one the last two years..Pace hits alot and I'm sure over time the numbers would work themselves out

Well played

Love or hate on Pace, that's a hell of a list of quality NFL bodies, lol. So much so, a lot of the guys that hit free agency signed for big bucks with their new teams. Amos is making 9+ million with the Packers this year and 10++ million over the next 2 seasons after, Kwit inked himself a nice deal with the Raiders, etc.

Akiem Hicks? A 25 year old dominant Defensive tackle Pace picked up off the scrap heap. Does this board realize how difficult it is to find a DT of Hicks stature in the NFL? Pace signed him for pennies on the dollar (given market value for DT's) cause he saw something in Hicks that 2 hall of fame coaches prior did not.

Had Foles become a free agent after the Superbowl, there would have been multiple suitors ponying up 100 million dollar contracts his way easy.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
So, just my opinion obviously, but its not that he made a bad pick, that happens frequently. Its the amount of draft capital he gave up to move 1 spot in the draft for a team that was NEVER going to take a QB in San Fran. If Pace stood firm and still took Mitch 3rd, yea, we would all still be pissed because of Mahomes and Watson..BUT, we would have all those draft picks back where maybe Mitch doesn't look as bad because the rest of the team is solid.

QB's bust out alot, its a given, but when you give up that much to move 1 spot (and again, to a team that was probably never going to take a QB AND even if someone else traded with SanFran, they weren't taking Tribs...) that is unforgiveable.
You look at the body of work as a whole, plain and simple. Pace is an aggressive dude who makes sure he gets his guy. You just wish his guy in the first round would have panned out better. I'll take an aggressive GM over a passive one, especially if he keeps grabbing high quality starters beyond the 3rd round like he has.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

bruh...signed Hicks off the scrap heap, may have found himself a QB in Foles, Graham is paying dividends. Look at the full picture.

Eddie Goldman, 2nd round
Adrian Amos, 5th round
Deon Bush, 4th round
Jordan Howard, 5th round
Eddie Jackson, 4th round
Tarek Cohen, 4th round
Bilai Nichols, 5th round
Javon Wims, 7th round
etc
etc

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You look at the body of work as a whole, plain and simple. Pace is an aggressive dude who makes sure he gets his guy. You just wish his guy in the first round would have panned out better. I'll take an aggressive GM over a passive one, especially if he keeps grabbing high quality starters beyond the 3rd round like he has.

The actual numbers will tell you that volume is most important when you are drafting. The teams that do the best in the draft make the most picks and have the most swings at it.

Aggressive is fine, if you value your draft picks properly, which he does not.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
bruh...signed Hicks off the scrap heap, may have found himself a QB in Foles, Graham is paying dividends. Look at the full picture.

Eddie Goldman, 2nd round
Adrian Amos, 5th round
Deon Bush, 4th round
Jordan Howard, 5th round
Eddie Jackson, 4th round
Tarek Cohen, 4th round
Bilai Nichols, 5th round
Javon Wims, 7th round
etc
etc

How many of those guys are actual difference makers?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's the windy we know. I was a little worried you were switching back to the positive side after talking so much about how you the Trubisky was looking so much better the first couple of weeks but the Pace hate is still bleeding in your veins.

R.Pace has done a good job as the GM. He's done good in free agency and has done really good in drafts. The Trubisky pick turned out horrible with how good Mahomes has turned out to be but as we all know, NOBODY thought Mahomes would be anything close to what he's been and Trubisky was the best QB in that draft by many of the "Draft experts" and anyone who has just a little bit of common sense would realize that even though pace is a GM that doesn't mean he knows what players will be and that goes for every GM that's ever been a GM in the NFL.

If Pace is the GM whenever we go QB in the draft then of course he gets that chance to draft our next QB. I'm sure he'll consult with Nagy and the other offensive coaches and all of his scouts just like he does with any draft pick but in the end it will be his choice to make.

I am positive.

Not about Ryan Pace, because nothing you said is actually true.

He is mediocre GM. He has been mediocre in free agency and often over paid, he is mediocre in the draft. It is why the Bears are mediocre.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm not completely sold on Nagy yet, but I have to imagine having him involved in the QB evaluation process would be way more beneficial than John Fox.
No excuses for Nagy. Foles knows his system and is already calling audibles in the huddle. If they make the playoffs, let Nagy ride this one out.

But Pace should have no say in a QB. Virginia should fire Pace and make Nagy GM or get a Nagy yes man.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, it is going to haappen. Just a matter of what round
Why not?

It doesn't matter how much he wastes on FA's or his record on QB picks. It's W's and L's. If the Bears won the SB with 5th-7th rnders and UDFA's starting at every position, he still would be a great GM.

If they make the playoffs this year he is safe and will likely be drafting a QB late 1st thru 3rd rnd. Any trade up would likely be limited to a small amount of draft capital but that is about the extent of the repercussions from missing on Mitch.

I do not expect him to be fired.

Your record argument is true. But being a fringe playoff team year after year isn't really good enough is it? Are we ever going to have the talent to compete with the top teams?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yup.

The only real thing I blame nagy for is the Mitch miss. I understood it. I get it, he had a higher upside than watson, and he was less risky than mahomes.

It wasn't the guy I wanted, but I understood it.

The hit rate in the first round is 50%. I'd say he probably has a 50% hit rate as far as EVERY round thus far(That might be an exaggeration, but he found some real late round gems that play for other teams now too).

No matter what, he built a superbowl caliber defense, and has retooled this offense from the dead. The issue has always been the qb position.

That is a deal breaker in the NFL.

He is not the worst GM in the NFL. He is a mediocre GM who cannot fix the QB spot, that doesn't scream "keep this guy around".

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
so you want hall of famers at every position. roger that

Nope, I do not want to waste 1st round picks and big FA contracts on bad players.

I want to address the QB position with a long term good solution.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
unless we start tanking quickly, would there even be a qb prospect worth taking in the late 1st? or 2nd round?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I think if Foles does well, then there is no need to draft a QB next year. If he does poorly, then yes...draft another QB. Why wouldn't you let Pace draft one? Yea, he made a big mistake...but he made good choices elsewhere. He seems to learn from his mistakes.

Foles is not the future. Pace has to draft a QB next year.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Foles is not the future. Pace has to draft a QB next year.

If Foles does well, then no. They don't need to draft QB for a couple of years. Are the odds against Foles? Yes. But given Foles' body of work, it's very possible. It is very much within the realm of possibility that Foles is the Bears QB for the next 5 years.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
unless we start tanking quickly, would there even be a qb prospect worth taking in the late 1st? or 2nd round?

There will still be talent in the 1st. He can sit behind Foles for 1 yr and learn.

Jackson
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Watson
Prescott
Carr
Cousins
Fitzpatrick
Bridgewater
Roethlisberger
Haskins
Lock
Foles

All current starting QBs who weren’t drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
If Foles does well, then no. They don't need to draft QB for a couple of years. Are the odds against Foles? Yes. But given Foles' body of work, it's very possible. It is very much within the realm of possibility that Foles is the Bears QB for the next 5 years.

Foles has less wear and tear on his body too. Some of his injuries were the flukey kind but injurys tend to come in waves. Hopefully he has all that behind him. Leno did a great job yesterday protecting his blind side when the Falcons all but knew it was a pass play every down.

swz01

Liked Posts:
Nagy and scouts should be heavily involved in drafting a developmental QB.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

Foles has never played 16 games in his 10years in the NFL. Now he’s a 5 year plan?? He won’t play all of the remaining 13 games.

Draft a QB.
Draft a Qb every year, says Ryan Pace (who has only drafted 1)

Last edited: