Gale Sayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
LOL I see what you did there.

I agree though, they need to perform. But if they don't do well, at least Lovie will be gone. And 1 more losing season is worth it to me, if that means that whole staff is gone.

But like Urlacher said, what has Sayers done? He never won anything that mattered. He's won as many Super Bowls as I have.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But like Urlacher said, what has Sayers done? He never won anything that mattered. He's won as many Super Bowls as I have.

Really?

In a 7 year career Sayers did the following.....

4× Pro Bowl selection (1965, 1966, 1967, 1969)
5× All-Pro selection (1965-1969)
NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
NFL 1960s All-Decade Team....playing half the decade.
1965 UPI NFL-NFC Rookie of the Year
3× Pro Bowl MVP (1969, 1967, 1966)

On top of all that he perhaps the greatest rookie season in the history of the NFL is widely seen as one of the best running backs of all time.

Oh yeah..and he's in the Hall of Fame.

Also, the playoff games comparison is absurd. Sayers played in an era where very few teams made the playoffs on top of the fact that the Bears teams surrounding Sayers at that time were average at best and at worst God awful. Urlacher has been fortunate to be on some very good teams during his tenure in Chicago. Sayers was surrounded by trash after pretty much his entire career..especially on offense. It's not like the Bears weren't making the playoffs because of Sayers. Sayers was on the only thing/person on that offense for pretty much his entire career that was playoff worthy.

Last edited:

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I knew that was coming. I'm aware of what he won. But those solo achievements aren't what it's all about. And that wasn't even my point, I know Sayers is 1 of the best of ALL time.

All I was saying is that, he shouldn't be bad mouthing a franchise that made him who he is especially after the team is making changes necessary to win.

Like Julius Peppers and Jay Cutler.

Besides we had a down year with Urlachers injury, rookie receivers, and Jay Cutler learning a new offense with a horrible O-line.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
All I was saying is that, he shouldn't be bad mouthing a franchise that made him who he is especially after the team is making changes necessary to win.
Bad mouthing the franchise? How about he is calling Cutler and Urlacher out on their poor play/lack of play last year? Sayers was asked a question and answered it. Sayers giving his thoughts on the Bears short comings and issues is no different than Miller, Jiggets, and Azumah doing it on Bears post game on CSN. Are they "bad mouthing the franchise that made them who they are" too?

I mean was anything Sayers said untrue or without merit?

He was asked his opinion and gave it. He didn't bad mouth the franchise. He gave his evaluation of two players...and his evaluation of players he thinks the team still needs.

This is what Sayers said:

One of the greatest Bears of all time is less than impressed with the current state of his former team.

None other than Gale Sayers was critical of coach Lovie Smith, quarterback Jay Cutler, linebacker Brian Urlacher and the team's offseason moves Tuesday

"Cutler hasn't done the job," Sayers said, according to various reports. "They need a couple wide receivers, a couple defensive backs. They haven't done a good job."

Sayers was speaking at a banquet to benefit Boys Town in his hometown of Omaha, Neb.

"If Lovie doesn't do it this year, I think he's gone," he went on to say. "He had a good team the Super Bowl year. Nothing came together for him the last couple years."

Sayers said he also doubts Urlacher will return to form after missing last season with a wrist injury.

As for Julius Peppers, Sayers told the Omaha World-Herald that, "He's a good player, but he can't do it all by himself."

Just because Sayers seems less than optimistic about the team's prospects for 2010 doesn't mean he doesn't remain a fan.

"I go to every game I can," he told the World-Herald. "I live or die with them."

I mean seriously is any of what he said untrue?
But those solo achievements aren't what it's all about.
I know...thus why I posted this putting his career achievments in context from the team aspect

Also, the playoff games comparison is absurd. Sayers played in an era where very few teams made the playoffs on top of the fact that the Bears teams surrounding Sayers at that time were average at best and at worst God awful. Urlacher has been fortunate to be on some very good teams during his tenure in Chicago. Sayers was surrounded by trash after pretty much his entire career..especially on offense. It's not like the Bears weren't making the playoffs because of Sayers. Sayers was on the only thing/person on that offense for pretty much his entire career that was playoff worthy.

Only someone with no idea of the history of the franchise would hold Sayers lack of playoff appearances against him..............

Last edited:

omc1969

Liked Posts:
I think that he is bitter to a certain point BUT .................. is anythging he said really any different from what the rest of us think or say? I think not. JMHO.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that he is bitter to a certain point BUT .................. is anythging he said really any different from what the rest of us think or say? I think not. JMHO.

Bitter over what?

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
FirstTimer every single thing that you've said in this thread is 100% right.

I've been trying to back Urlacher because he's my childhood Bear while Sayers is before my time admittedly.

Besides - I agree with Sayers anyway. Urlacher is just a name to sell jerseys at this point and Cutler is a turnover machine.

And by turnover machine I mean the best QB we've had in years!

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I like this point as well.

I find it funny that Sayers can't critique/criticize an organization that he was actually a part of yet it's ok for fans like WCulb to be a writer for a website and do the same thing even though he most likely doesn't even play flag football.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
FirstTimer every single thing that you've said in this thread is 100% right.

I've been trying to back Urlacher because he's my childhood Bear while Sayers is before my time admittedly.

Besides - I agree with Sayers anyway. Urlacher is just a name to sell jerseys at this point and Cutler is a turnover machine.

I guess I don't see the point of you posting this and/or msot of your posts in this thread then? Just defending Urlacher because he's your favorite Bears player?........Bad form!

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
I just wanted to get you worked up. Sorry for wasting your time.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
You win good sir, you win. And by the way I DON'T play flag football, too much contact for me.

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
This is the last thing I'll say on the topic. My bottom line on the subject is this: Gale Sayers can criticize whoever/whatever he wants but 54 can do the same.

So if Sayers wants to call people out, I have zero problem with Urlacher defending his teammates as well as himsefl.

So I'll edit my original post: Good for 54!

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
Cutler is a "turnover machine"? Hardly. Give him some REAL WR's, an offensive line that can actually block, and a real OC, and he will regain his pro-bowl form.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler is a "turnover machine"? Hardly. Give him some REAL WR's, an offensive line that can actually block, and a real OC, and he will regain his pro-bowl form.

You realize Cutler threw 18INT's that season right?..and he had everything that you mentioned above the bold......

WCulbertson

Grammer Po-Po
Liked Posts:
Yeah man I totally agree with you.

In another post I posted the same things about Cutler. Like how we had rookie receivers and a horrid o-line not to mention he was learning a new offense.

But he did have a LOT of turnovers granted they weren't all his fault. He should definitely return to pro bowl form now that he's familiar with his teammates and as long as Martz works out.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah man I totally agree with you.

In another post I posted the same things about Cutler. Like how we had rookie receivers and a horrid o-line not to mention he was learning a new offense.
But he did have a LOT of turnovers granted they weren't all his fault. He should definitely return to pro bowl form now that he's familiar with his teammates and as long as Martz works out.

The WR's this year are still marginal and he's learning a new offense. 2/3rd's of his issues from last year still exist...and there's no promise that the OL will be any better.

I'm convinced you are all either 15 years old and/or never watch the games or follow the team in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.