Rebuild or Retool or Neither?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure to be honest. They signed Miller for 875K so this does feel like a money issue. Chatwood signed for 3.5M to be a pen arm. So in view of this this really feels like spending limits going on here at this point.

Now resigning Bryant and Baez. Made sense due to their value most likely increases with time.

Rizzo also not sure if they resign.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Not sure to be honest. They signed Miller for 875K so this does feel like a money issue. Chatwood signed for 3.5M to be a pen arm. So in view of this this really feels like spending limits going on here at this point.

Now resigning Bryant and Baez. Made sense due to their value most likely increases with time.

Rizzo also not sure if they resign.
>Spending Limit
I agree they must have a hard cap or something.

>Resigning
Don't agree with the point that they should sign Baez / Bryant long term,
since they might not be competitive in 3-4 years if the prospects don't pan out.
Why resign any of the team when we can't even see Lester's 200th win in Cubbie Blue?

>Rizzo
Don't know if signing a aging first baseman is the best thing to do if
they want to start contending afterwards.
As much as I love the guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
>Spending Limit
I agree they must have a hard cap or something.

>Resigning
Don't agree with the point that they should sign Baez / Bryant long term,
since they might not be competitive in 3-4 years if the prospects don't pan out.
Why resign any of the team when we can't even see Lester's 200th win in Cubbie Blue?

>Rizzo
Don't know if signing a aging first baseman is the best thing to do if
they want to start contending afterwards.
As much as I love the guy.

The Cubs can run a 210M payroll. This is just a reaction to a potential lack of funds. The most likely scenerio is fans will increase as the season goes along and this gives Tom the resources again to increase budget.

With that in mind anything can happen. Sure Jed can trade Rizzo, Baez and Bryant and if there is a major return for them and they are sucking this year expect it.

But if they are competing this year and they decide to promote Marquez and Davis and give a strong run to the end. Ya it would be hard pressed to not retain.

But looking at the market in 2021 3B is weak. Boras most likely with have Bryant go into it as the primer 3B.

Rizzo has known leadership qualities. 1B is not a major market normally but if the DH goes into play you could see some teams looking at him and then move their weaker gloved 1B over to DH. So his market could be strong with the DH.

Baez most likely becomes the top SS on the board. Lindor most likely extends with the Mets.

If I had to make a guess the QO all 3. None take it. They go hard after Baez. 3B they know will be a issue. 1B they can use Contreras there to keep his knees healthy.

If it is me. I would resign Baez. 3B depends on Bote. If he takes off this year then I àm covered. If not I would look at Story.

Last edited: