My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
One thing going under the radar....

Stan has alot of cap space at the deadline
That is true, if you look at the Canadians there cap situation is probably the reason why they are a very strong team this season. Many teams were shedding and they had the pick of the crop, now Stan may have the same chance as Bergevin did in Montreal.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is true, if you look at the Canadians there cap situation is probably the reason why they are a very strong team this season. Many teams were shedding and they had the pick of the crop, now Stan may have the same chance as Bergevin did in Montreal.

Unless the players are young, I'd stay the course. I said a week or so ago that this team had a shot at the playoffs because of the division they're in....that hasn't changed. The only team they have played that was vastly better was Tampa. But still....it's a rebuild, so keep it that way. Even if they get in, they won't be going far.....so if there is a young player that fits, go and get him. But please, PLEASE....no aging veterans for the playoff "run" because it will be short lived no matter who they get. It's bad enough that getting in hurts their draft status, don't compound the problem by wasting cap space on a couple of old farts playing out the string.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Unless the players are young, I'd stay the course. I said a week or so ago that this team had a shot at the playoffs because of the division they're in....that hasn't changed. The only team they have played that was vastly better was Tampa. But still....it's a rebuild, so keep it that way. Even if they get in, they won't be going far.....so if there is a young player that fits, go and get him. But please, PLEASE....no aging veterans for the playoff "run" because it will be short lived no matter who they get. It's bad enough that getting in hurts their draft status, don't compound the problem by wasting cap space on a couple of old farts playing out the string.
If it's a expiring contract with a first attached? I think you do that.

You would have to look at who is on an expiring contract. The Hawks are actually in the driver's seat right now.

Next year's draft is a defenseman farm of first round talent. If the Hawks can get a first or two to take on an expiring contract that could help them, why not

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stan: Hi Jon, how is your body and your life going buddy? Couple shots past each other in the media, wanted to clear the air, see what I could do to communicate better?
Jonathon Toews: No problem man, taken out of context, just having discussions, what can I do to help the team?
Stan: Well...actually...

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
One thing going under the radar....

Stan has alot of cap space at the deadline
That's true but you still have to give something up to get something back to fill it. What are you thinking asset wise they are willing to part with that someone is going to want in return for a large salary player?

With our luck he'll give 10m to get sharp out of retirement.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's true but you still have to give something up to get something back to fill it. What are you thinking asset wise they are willing to part with that someone is going to want in return for a large salary player?

Nah, this is Stan...It'll probably be Kim Johnsson while Stan spins it like he rescued him from a bunch of Albanian sex traffickers :D

Seriously though, you are correct that the 'hawks have to give up something to get something. Thing is...Stan has maneuvered the team so they could take on a few bad expiring contracts at the end of this season...which might be the best way to free up some cap--especially if the team is (a) completely redlining the max of their abilities and output, doesn't have another gear), and is somewhere between the team we've seen the past couple of games and the team that got destroyed by the Florida teams, and thus comes back down to earth. That might set the team up nicely in future years especially if he can unload an albatross contract in the process.

I wouldn't trust him to do it...but stranger things have happened. After all the 'hawks managed to turn Karpotszev into Hjalmarsson in the $bill era.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Nah, this is Stan...It'll probably be Kim Johnsson while Stan spins it like he rescued him from a bunch of Albanian sex traffickers :D

Seriously though, you are correct that the 'hawks have to give up something to get something. Thing is...Stan has maneuvered the team so they could take on a few bad expiring contracts at the end of this season...which might be the best way to free up some cap--especially if the team is (a) completely redlining the max of their abilities and output, doesn't have another gear), and is somewhere between the team we've seen the past couple of games and the team that got destroyed by the Florida teams, and thus comes back down to earth. That might set the team up nicely in future years especially if he can unload an albatross contract in the process.

I wouldn't trust him to do it...but stranger things have happened. After all the 'hawks managed to turn Karpotszev into Hjalmarsson in the $bill era.
Huet still playing?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Shaw back on IR

KBIB

Liked Posts:

Right now? Not so much.

The way I see it, playoff teams are max capped. If Stan was smart, which is questionable, he would be calling teams looking to add for a cup run and say "hey, I'll take this guy on an expiring contract if you throw in a first"

Helps the team now and in the future.

And even if the Hawks make the playoffs, nothing would make me happier them a healthy, rested up Toews for a playoff run along with ten million in expiring contracts of talent. But that's just me

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
If it's a expiring contract with a first attached? I think you do that.

You would have to look at who is on an expiring contract. The Hawks are actually in the driver's seat right now.

Next year's draft is a defenseman farm of first round talent. If the Hawks can get a first or two to take on an expiring contract that could help them, why not

This. Flip side of a familiar coin.

Time to do to the other teams in the league what we had to endure, rape them for their picks in exchange for taking on negative-value contracts. I don't care whomst we acquire in the horse-trade, the rebuild is dependent on high value draft picks which we must accumulate.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right now? Not so much.

The way I see it, playoff teams are max capped. If Stan was smart, which is questionable, he would be calling teams looking to add for a cup run and say "hey, I'll take this guy on an expiring contract if you throw in a first"

Helps the team now and in the future.

And even if the Hawks make the playoffs, nothing would make me happier them a healthy, rested up Toews for a playoff run along with ten million in expiring contracts of talent. But that's just me
Why would a team give up a 1st rounder to dump a player who's contract expires at the end of the season? A team trading a good player on an expiring deal is more apt to get a good pick in return than having to add anything. Team's part with 1st's almost every year adding these players at the TDL. There'd have to be a year or two left on a deal for the Hawks to get a great pick thrown in and I'd still do it.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This. Flip side of a familiar coin.

Time to do to the other teams in the league what we had to endure, rape them for their picks in exchange for taking on negative-value contracts. I don't care whomst we acquire in the horse-trade, the rebuild is dependent on high value draft picks which we must accumulate.
YES! Even if said player has to be bought out at some point. Keep adding good,young players to the one's already here!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cat looks good with that A on his jersey
Kid's flyin'.....all over the ice! His all-around game and his passing have improved.....the kid turned 23 two months ago.....he's signed to a sweet deal.......play him with Kane and he's good for 35-40 a year.
I gave JC grief for D-Cat's lack of development last year(I still don't skate him on a checking line) so it's only fair to give JC some credit for D-Cat's improvement this year.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These kids are building something for sure. Getting to fly around and show off skill at this age and play maybe a different style of hockey than most teams we see are used to has to be making for a tight nit group.

I was sad to see them collapse like that but we still have trouble keeping leads on a motivated forceful team. I thought 5 on Korpisallo would do the trick for sure...just a tough loss to watch them take what they wanted the last 10 minutes like that.

They played a great game and didn't finish it, didn't react to whatever adjustments were made against them, but maybe its something they can understand and learn from for later.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also...don't look now but I think Kane is in form, feeling one of those multi-point game streaks potentially here.

He's almost at 1.5 point per game at quarter way...but this is interesting because when season is done they will extrapolate projections on a full season. I'd love for Kane to throw an outlier month in there and compare to some poor Gretsky seasons maybe.

This is the type of defenively challenged stretch with Murphy/Carp out where he has to to keep Hawks in games, but it helps to be surrounded by snipers that can skate and fly around. Once thing we can do is handle the puck and fly around...

somehow without Toews these guys are also winning faceoffs. Its a collective effort involving wings, midgets, anyone but they are finding a way to get it done by putting everyone on their best dot in situations they can compete.

Also...the line roulette is insane. I'm not sure if its a second period thing, but they are not letting anybody match-up with them. They will double shift Koob or Cat as much as Kane. They are moving lines all over the place, controlling chaos and causing teams consternation. I don't know if that played into their impressive second period, but they are trying out some new things.

JC might have a yellow note pad that is the reason he is hired and his tactical approach is next level. IDK...but we are doing something different and experimenting...which is a smart thing to try to do in this data driven age. Try a bunch of weird shit and see if the computer spots something.

Last edited:

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Congrats to the rooks with their 1st (of many) goals. Disappointing loss but not shocking with all the utes, guys out etc

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Why would a team give up a 1st rounder to dump a player who's contract expires at the end of the season? A team trading a good player on an expiring deal is more apt to get a good pick in return than having to add anything. Team's part with 1st's almost every year adding these players at the TDL. There'd have to be a year or two left on a deal for the Hawks to get a great pick thrown in and I'd still do it.
Because every playoff team is max capped or close to it.

If a playoff team needs cap space to get a guy they think will put them over the top, they will give up assets for the cap space.