hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Still undefeated versus the Wings, Kurashev is growing on me along with many other new additions. I simply had zero faith in this team and obviously they have proven me wrong, I admit when I am wrong I thought this team would be in the 5-6 win category this season, especially when Toews went down, however there perseverance, heart and determination has proven many wrong, including many Hawks faithful. They have a ways to go in comparing to the top teams in the league, but they are heading in a good direction.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Race, I think you are doing a bit of overkill with this kid. No idea how long you've been a fan so you might not remember this but his play and numbers are very similar to what another Hawk defenseman did early in his career......his name was Keith. Boqvist is only 20 years old, Dunc was older....I think like 24 or so his first year and while he wasn't very good, you could see his talent and by his 3rd year he was getting Norris Trophy votes. There's no locked in time a player suddenly gets it, some like Kane & Toews jump right in and are great players.....for others, sometimes it takes awhile for the light to click on. Much like Keith, Boqvist's talent is unmistakeable....at some point, he'll get there.
Yes, Boqvist is young and come around, eventually, however, he lacks the vision, his errors are not due to age, he makes plenty of fundamental mistakes that someone who is drafted 8th overall should not be making. There are an abundance of head scratching moments when he is on the ice. Can he turn it around, maybe, but I am not with you on this one, some point will be to late.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been a fan since the days of Chiko Mako, lol.

Many times I have heard this same reference to the trajectory of #2, but DK is the exception that proves the general rule. I don't see any of the qualities or potential in Boqvist necessary to grow into a top-4 Dmen, he just doesn't have it, period.
If Mitchel can be a top-4 I just need him to be a #6 and power play guy that wins the tasks asked of him by giving intense minutes instead of lots of them.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been a fan since the days of Chiko Mako, lol.

Many times I have heard this same reference to the trajectory of #2, but DK is the exception that proves the general rule. I don't see any of the qualities or potential in Boqvist necessary to grow into a top-4 Dmen, he just doesn't have it, period.

It wasn't meant as a comparison, that would be asking too much of the kid. Just pointing out that it doesn't always happen quickly for some kids. At 20 years old he has time. It's actually a good time for him to get his game in order as this team, regardless of how they're playing now.....is still a year or two away.

I'm sure it's a typo (Mako) but it made me laugh as I instantly thought of Lou Boudreau calling him Cheeky Mak....in what was the craziest placement of a broadcaster EVER, WGN-TV actually had him be the Studio host. I don't remember how many games he actually did but it was embarrassing to watch him as he knew so little about the game.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
It wasn't meant as a comparison, that would be asking too much of the kid. Just pointing out that it doesn't always happen quickly for some kids. At 20 years old he has time. It's actually a good time for him to get his game in order as this team, regardless of how they're playing now.....is still a year or two away.

I'm sure it's a typo (Mako) but it made me laugh as I instantly thought of Lou Boudreau calling him Cheeky Mak....in what was the craziest placement of a broadcaster EVER, WGN-TV actually had him be the Studio host. I don't remember how many games he actually did but it was embarrassing to watch him as he knew so little about the game.

Yeah, sorry, I conflated Chiko Maki with "Mako Mitch".

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Yes, Boqvist is young and come around, eventually, however, he lacks the vision, his errors are not due to age, he makes plenty of fundamental mistakes that someone who is drafted 8th overall should not be making. There are an abundance of head scratching moments when he is on the ice. Can he turn it around, maybe, but I am not with you on this one, some point will be to late.
The one thing I noticed in his own zone is his insistence on finding open ice once the Hawks have possession or are fighting for possession. That's what EK did but the difference is the Sens offense was built around EK and the entire team did everything to get him the puck. They don't have to do this with him on a team with Kane.

This is his biggest problem. Nine times out of ten it puts him in really bad position if possession is lost and puts pressure on a danger zone chance. If he could fix this problem he would be extremely effective because he's a great skater and above average passer.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I don't know if the 'Good Kid' ever embarrassed at anything,he was a GREAT radio guy along with 'Vince' for the Cubs......it's probably hard to follow another sport when ya been a baseball guy your whole life. His MLB achievement of winning the MVP while player/managing the Indians to a WS championship in '48' at 31 is the stuff of legends.
I don't remember him doin any hockey and your right,he probably wasn't the right guy. I do remember Jim West being a flop as Lloyd Pettit's replacement from that era though.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one thing I noticed in his own zone is his insistence on finding open ice once the Hawks have possession or are fighting for possession. That's what EK did but the difference is the Sens offense was built around EK and the entire team did everything to get him the puck. They don't have to do this with him on a team with Kane.

This is his biggest problem. Nine times out of ten it puts him in really bad position if possession is lost and puts pressure on a danger zone chance. If he could fix this problem he would be extremely effective because he's a great skater and above average passer.
He wants open ice because my dick weighs more than him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know if the 'Good Kid' ever embarrassed at anything,he was a GREAT radio guy along with 'Vince' for the Cubs......it's probably hard to follow another sport when ya been a baseball guy your whole life. His MLB achievement of winning the MVP while player/managing the Indians to a WS championship in '48' at 31 is the stuff of legends.
I don't remember him doin any hockey and your right,he probably wasn't the right guy. I do remember Jim West being a flop as Lloyd Pettit's replacement from that era though.

He wasn't the regular guy and I really don't remember who he was replacing but he was on for a few games and was brutal. But that's not on him, that's WGN who should've known better.....oh, and BTW....if you thought Lou was fun with Vince, he was even better when he was teamed with Jack Quinlan.

These guys made some really bad Cub teams interesting

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He wasn't the regular guy and I really don't remember who he was replacing but he was on for a few games and was brutal. But that's not on him, that's WGN who should've known better.....oh, and BTW....if you thought Lou was fun with Vince, he was even better when he was teamed with Jack Quinlan.

These guys made some really bad Cub teams interesting
Jack Quinlan died in a car wreck back in '65',I'm an old fuck but not that old.