Playoffs?

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
What I will refer to as "The Lankinen run" has put the Hawks into the playoff picture.

Are they a Cup contender? With a healthy Toews and Dach? Maybe. But as it is right now, this Hawks team, outside of a complete blow out from Lankinen, are no doubt a worthy playoff team.

Ok, I'm giving JC credit, he has this team playing a strong forecheck. And while the whole man on man defense is still a work in progress, he's put these kids in positions where they can actually develop.

I didn't think too much of Mitchell, but he's turned DK back into that rabid dog defenseman because DK now has a partner he can rely on.

I also have noticed the defenseman jumping into plays more frequently and seeing a forward go back to cover. Beaudin likes to cheat, and it looks like the team sees it.

And really, what can you say about Suter, Kurashev, and Hagel? Hagel has jets attached to his skates and reminds me of a faster Abdelcater (sp) from the Wings prime. Watching this kid dump and chase is a thing of beauty.

And don't get me started on Lankinen. The kid will sweep Calder, Hart, and Vezina if he keeps his level of play up.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
What I will refer to as "The Lankinen run" has put the Hawks into the playoff picture.

Are they a Cup contender? With a healthy Toews and Dach? Maybe. But as it is right now, this Hawks team, outside of a complete blow out from Lankinen, are no doubt a worthy playoff team.

Ok, I'm giving JC credit, he has this team playing a strong forecheck. And while the whole man on man defense is still a work in progress, he's put these kids in positions where they can actually develop.

I didn't think too much of Mitchell, but he's turned DK back into that rabid dog defenseman because DK now has a partner he can rely on.

I also have noticed the defenseman jumping into plays more frequently and seeing a forward go back to cover. Beaudin likes to cheat, and it looks like the team sees it.

And really, what can you say about Suter, Kurashev, and Hagel? Hagel has jets attached to his skates and reminds me of a faster Abdelcater (sp) from the Wings prime. Watching this kid dump and chase is a thing of beauty.

And don't get me started on Lankinen. The kid will sweep Calder, Hart, and Vezina if he keeps his level of play up.
As much as the playoff are intriguing, let’s just enjoy the current ride and see where it leads, if they make it great if not there is a whole lot to be positive about at this moment.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...

Florida being this good makes it tough but Dallas isn't playing well without Ben Bishop so lets call it a wash.

If we dust Dallas, beating out one of Florida/CBJ/Carolina may still prove quite the challenge. They have gotten me to raise an eyebrow though. Lankinen makes it possible and I might be most proud they have managed to save Suppan's career to this point with his cooperation of course. Its good to see him flash some more of the potential that has kept him around to this point, I'm kinda rooting for him now.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who ever thought this team would be this good? These young kids have some wheels, play with heart, gel together, and will only get better. They started out of the gates pretty slow but turned it around real quickly. I'm thinking they'll make the playoffs but of course, the playoff games are different hockey. I'd guess they wouldn't go very far but we've been quite surprised so far.

I live out of market so I need a subscription to stream most of the games. With the shortened year and thinking the team would suck, I originally thought about not doing it but I'm glad I kept the subscription. It's a fun team to watch.

They are allowing a number of fans to attend games down here in FL and with the re-alignment, the Hawks will be down here again in mid-March. I may go see them.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who ever thought this team would be this good? These young kids have some wheels, play with heart, gel together, and will only get better. They started out of the gates pretty slow but turned it around real quickly. I'm thinking they'll make the playoffs but of course, the playoff games are different hockey. I'd guess they wouldn't go very far but we've been quite surprised so far.

I live out of market so I need a subscription to stream most of the games. With the shortened year and thinking the team would suck, I originally thought about not doing it but I'm glad I kept the subscription. It's a fun team to watch.

They are allowing a number of fans to attend games down here in FL and with the re-alignment, the Hawks will be down here again in mid-March. I may go see them.

The cool thing about our team and has been for years is that when the power play is clicking we force you to play our way. Fun, back and forth, and trade shots...and when we have a netminder you really don't want to do that if you can help it.

The PP, Lankinen, and some Collition tweaks have helped the Hawks take another step in evening shot numbers and more importantly, quality chances.

Cat/Kub/Kane make the opposition pretty tense when we get the loose pucks bouncing beyond the blue line, all they need is that moment of space.

I'd like to see the Hawks hold leads better, but unlike JC I don't think they should focus on learning how to play "winning" hockey...back-up and grind down an opponent every time you get a lead. Our advantage is the crazy back and forth...if we could trade 45 shots per game its our skill guys that gain the advantage(assuming goalie equality).

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
The cool thing about our team and has been for years is that when the power play is clicking we force you to play our way. Fun, back and forth, and trade shots...and when we have a netminder you really don't want to do that if you can help it.

The PP, Lankinen, and some Collition tweaks have helped the Hawks take another step in evening shot numbers and more importantly, quality chances.

Cat/Kub/Kane make the opposition pretty tense when we get the loose pucks bouncing beyond the blue line, all they need is that moment of space.

I'd like to see the Hawks hold leads better, but unlike JC I don't think they should focus on learning how to play "winning" hockey...back-up and grind down an opponent every time you get a lead. Our advantage is the crazy back and forth...if we could trade 45 shots per game its our skill guys that gain the advantage(assuming goalie equality).
You can’t trade 45 shots a game versus Colorado, Boston, Washington,Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, St.Louis there skill guys out number ours. Hawks can do this when and only when they are not playing a 4 lined team. Tampa will destroy you if you play run and gun. Playing back and forth is great and entertaining, it lets the players have fun and stay loose, but it’s certainly not a winning formula.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can’t trade 45 shots a game versus Colorado, Boston, Washington,Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, St.Louis there skill guys out number ours. Hawks can do this when and only when they are not playing a 4 lined team. Tampa will destroy you if you play run and gun. Playing back and forth is great and entertaining, it lets the players have fun and stay lose, but it’s certainly not a winning formula.

Tell Q that. IMO you just have to know when not to use it.

but...yeah, we can't beat those team no matter how we play except Washington looks finished from what they were. St Louis too and hell yes I want to get into a shootout with Toronto and Colorado. Those teams nearly only weakness is keeping the puck out of their own net.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The next six games are a stretch where the team HAS to keep up their current level of play,especially the last four against weak sisters BJ's and Wings because March is gonna be a bitch. If the boys show an ability to play with and beat the better divisional teams then all the excitement is warranted.
The team's play AND effort are to be applauded along with the coaching staff so far but having three weak sisters in the division is huge when they account for 42% of your opposition! Four of our nine wins have come against the train wreck from Detroit.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Tell Q that. IMO you just have to know when not to use it.

but...yeah, we can't beat those team no matter how we play except Washington looks finished from what they were. St Louis too and hell yes I want to get into a shootout with Toronto and Colorado. Those teams nearly only weakness is keeping the puck out of their own net.
Toronto and Colorado are far superior teams than Chicago, a shootout with them would be entertaining to say the least, but I would probably have to say with the Hawks current team we would not be at the winning end in majority of games versus those 2 teams, in regards to St.Louis they are still a very strong team, they are still cup contenders.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
And I will say this;

Even if the Hawks make the playoffs and get swept, this coming draft is a gold mine in defenseman. A top 20 pick will net a good one unless there's a run on them.
Yes your right about that, but you know Staniel will go and draft a winger Instead because that’s what he does.

greg23

Liked Posts:
When the games finally even out; we'll find the hawks significantly trailing TB and Car and likely Fla.

Det has a lock on last
Nash looks to be poised to be poor and dump

Leaves the hawks vs dal and cbj for the last spot......right now we look to be in position to fight for the 4th spot but quite honestly those teams have more talent. To make the playoffs gonna have to beat those two teams in the h2h to have a shot

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Nash is dumping per Friedman on HNIC.

Honestly, the Hawks would have been better off taking a short season off and moving up this year's draft once Toews and Dach were put on the shelf.

And holy shit Edvinsson shot up in the draft rankings to number two. This is who I want the Hawks to draft. He will be the best player from this draft outside the goalie.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Nash is dumping per Friedman on HNIC.

Honestly, the Hawks would have been better off taking a short season off and moving up this year's draft once Toews and Dach were put on the shelf.

And holy shit Edvinsson shot up in the draft rankings to number two. This is who I want the Hawks to draft. He will be the best player from this draft outside the goalie.
I think that was the overall plan, then Kevin, Kane, The Cat, and a few others through a wrench in that plan. There is still a lot of season left but let’s hope Stan doesn’t get all giddy at the TDL and make a bad deal.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
and you know he will. His ego is already blowing up inside of him and he's taking credit for this Lankinen kid and their 25 man roster plan paying dividends.

Since we are stuck with these 7 until the end...might as well play the Lightning first with Kucherov not right yet. 4th place is really the best plan for anyone with designs to get passed Tampa! Seriously. Don't let them get figured out and get Stamkos and Kucherov back healthy with Point. When those two are right and Hedman/Vasilesky in the back...forget about it.

So play them when Kucherov is out of condition and there is always a good chance something happens to Stamkos between now and then.
Every time I see Tampa‘s lineup I can’t wrap my head around the thought that they can stay within the cap, just imagine if the Hawks could of done that from 2010-2016, they would of won at minimum 4 championships. 3 was amazing 4 would of been spectacular.

Bigbarn27

Liked Posts:
As said before 30-35 games will be enough of sample size if the boys are close after that anything is possible. March will let us know what they are. But as we all said its been really fun to watch them. Mitch and Dunc have been a great fit! Mitch just processes quickly and goes fast with his decision. 27 on the other hand just seems to process slow and is unsure I would like him down in Rockford on top PK unit and always taking D zone draws thats what he should be working on rest of year put him in uncomfortable positions all the time.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm going to be the wet blanket here and say, although they've exceeded expectations, I still wouldn't think they were a bonafide Cup contender, even with Toews and Dach. They'd be a high-playoff seed with them, but Cup contender -- I could not say that with any amount of certainty.

The rookies have been terrific overall, but at the end of the day, playoffs are an entirely different animal. Flaws come out when the play and the pressure is at that high of a level.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And I will say this;

Even if the Hawks make the playoffs and get swept, this coming draft is a gold mine in defenseman. A top 20 pick will net a good one unless there's a run on them.
VVV
Yes your right about that, but you know Staniel will go and draft a winger Instead because that’s what he does.
Bingo. Even though expectations have been exceeded, I don't have much faith in Bowman the Beancounter to move the team forward where it needs to go in the here-and-now. If he did, DeHaan would be sitting for a few games.*
I'm going to be the wet blanket here and say, although they've exceeded expectations, I still wouldn't think they were a bonafide Cup contender, even with Toews and Dach. They'd be a high-playoff seed with them, but Cup contender -- I could not say that with any amount of certainty.

The rookies have been terrific overall, but at the end of the day, playoffs are an entirely different animal. Flaws come out when the play and the pressure is at that high of a level.
I agree. At this point a lot of the development of the rookies has been the icing on the cake. The playoffs are a different monster. If the 'hawks make it, who knows what will happen?

Team D by my eye* is still an issue. As good as some of the kids look I don't know if the FWDs or the D could do a good enough job shutting down some of the top O's in the league--and if you have a team with O and D like Tampa, that could give the 'hawks fits.

Still, this is a process and we're further along that I expected. I think part of the 'hawks winning the cup in 2010 was due to the lessons learned in 2009 both getting to, and being beat by a much stronger Detroit team, and getting to the WCF in 2009 was a direct result of the kids being able to play and gel in 2008 even though they just missed.
~~~~
* - Having been without power from the 12th through the 18th, I missed a few games: How did the hawks look during that time? I'm pissed because I missed Lankinen's 1st NHL goosegg, but was DeHaan still an epileptic manatee out there? Was the team giving up chances or was the D tight and supporting the goalies?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Its early and anything can happen in a playoff series but Carolina and Tampa look like they're on another level compared to the hawks.....and they prob are 2 of the 5/6 best teams in the NHL