dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hardly the point. Stating a fact does not make your entire supposition correct.
#Youcan'tbuythiswinit'snotfantasyfootball ?

Good news is i already made my point and didn't have to spend a penny to make it. Little odd that you think that was some great play by Jaire when it was more luck cause the ball was way way underthrown and if it wasn't then he just gave up a TD.

Still a Jaire fan besides the fact that he plays for GB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow, you don't get it at all and changing the point again. Good throw is contested. That's all I said. Are you that insecure to be disingenuous? If he felt beat, he wouldn't be looking back for the ball and able to adjust. The awareness and ability for the pick is actually pretty fucking great. The idea that he only caught the pick because he was beat is idiotic.

Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You gotta keep in mind that Scotty was also slowing down some cause you can see him with his head turned watching the ball and noticing it was way underthrown. If the ball is thrown where it needed to be it's a easy TD.

Still think that Jaire is a great CB.

Jaire was back on his hip as Brady was going through his throwing motion. It would have taken a good throw to beat him. And it was overthrown to Evans, not under thrown to Miller.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

200.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We need a 3rd WR with Wims physical stature and actual WR chops to complete the group. A big guy that doesn't have to be fast but will fight for lobs with good hand skills. Obviously more ability would be better but you can't have WRs with poor ball skills or that can't rotate their hands or body position to net the ball. I'm assuming we tag AR. Miller is a #4, a waste in the slot and can't run away from CBs on the edge. Putting the guy that has no feel for angles, lanes nor can figure out who to block from the inside is a waist there. He plays the position with the same intuition as Mitch.

Another thing about Mooney is that he rarely takes major shots. Obviously he was extremely vulnerable against Amos after avoiding 2 other tackles in a very small space. The position he was in had me happy that it was just an ankle sprain..

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jaire was back on his hip as Brady was going through his throwing motion. It would have taken a good throw to beat him. And it was overthrown to Evans, not under thrown to Miller.

Really? Kinda hard to know that it was a overthrow to M.Evans when the clip you posted made it look like it was definitely going to Scotty and didn't even have Evans in it. That changes things but without being able to see the actual clip of the entire play it's hard to say who made a good play.

Just went and watched it again and if it was to M.Evans then he never even saw that ball.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Really? Kinda hard to know that it was a overthrow to M.Evans when the clip you posted made it look like it was definitely going to Scotty and didn't even have Evans in it. That changes things but without being able to see the actual clip of the entire play it's hard to say who made a good play.

Just went and watched it again and if it was to M.Evans then he never even saw that ball.

Just stop. It was for Evans.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Bears had to just start handing him the ball in the run game to get him touches. Same thing happened with Gabriel, had a guy with game changing speed and agility but nobody talented enough behind center to make any use of it.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Bears had to just start handing him the ball in the run game to get him touches. Same thing happened with Gabriel, had a guy with game changing speed and agility but nobody talented enough behind center to make any use of it.
Gabriel really wasn’t that great of a WR. He had speed and that’s all. Mooney will be a complete WR.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What jumps out at this analysis is how often Mooney was open and his QB missed him. Now QBs miss open guys deep all the time but Mooney was more affected by this than most as the following illustrates.

If you look at the league leaders in deep receiving, they averaged about 40-55% in terms of catchable passes thrown to them. Mooney by comparison had only 4 catchable passes thrown to him out of 23 passes. That is a dismal 17%. If you gave Mooney around 50% catchable passes that would bump up to 12 out of 23 passes or 8 more receptions since his drop rate on deep passes is 0%. At about 40 yards a reception which is what he averaged on his deep completions that would be an additional 320 yards. So that would have made Mooney close to a 1k yard WR as a rookie.

So Trubs/Foles have grossly damaged Mooney's value. If they had thrown accurate passes to the same extent as other guys then Mooney would have been in the top 5 in terms of receiving yards on catches 20 yards or more. And this is not even asking that his QB be elite. Ryan was 19 for 36 throwing to Ridely, Cousins was 14 for 24 to Jefferson, Teddy B was 13 for 25 throwing to Moore. Hell even the carousel at QB for the Cowboys was 13 of 21 throwing to Lamb.

The point being it doesn't take a good QB to get to around 50% completion rate on deep passes. Trubs/Foles were just horrifically bad at it to the extreme detriment of Mooney. And really it was mostly Trubs. Foles was 17 for 41 throwing deep overall or 41%. Trubs was 6 for 33 for an embarrassing 18%.

This is the biggest reason Trubs needs to go. He is a direct threat to Mooney's progression and value. He is a historically bad deep passer. In fact, of all the QBs this year with at least 19 deep attempts, Trubs was actually the worst in terms of accuracy out of 39 QBs. I kid you not. He was 39 out of 39. He was worst throwing deep than Haskins, Darnold, or any shitty QB you can imagine. What makes this more embarrassing is his opponents are skewed since he missed the better defenses we faced due to his benching. So his league worst deep accuracy was acquired against some of the worst defenses in the NFL outside of Green Bay.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Philly doesnt draft a QB, Bears should offer Foles for whatever it takes to make it happen. Even if it means losing a late round pick. Then sign a vet like Taylor or Dalton. Foles, like Trubisky, is absolute fucking garbage.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Mooney is about to get the XYZ treatment. He needs to line up everywhere to be ultra effective, ala Adams/Hill. He's too smart and too good not to do this to be ultra effective. Maybe he beefs up a little more to handle the rigors of taking NFL hits without losing much speed.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Philly doesnt draft a QB, Bears should offer Foles for whatever it takes to make it happen. Even if it means losing a late round pick. Then sign a vet like Taylor or Dalton. Foles, like Trubisky, is absolute fucking garbage.

Foles is trash but I was surprised at the fact he was 17-41 throwing deep compared to 6-33 for Trubisky. His adjusted accuracy was 21st out of 39 compared to 39 out of 39 for Trubs. He certainly is no long term solution but as a backup QB who can hit over 40% deep he has some value especially when unlike Trubs he faced better defenses including the SB champions.

Again, not saying he should start and I have no problem dumping him if we can find a taker. Just saying I suspect with better OL play he is a viable backup QB and spot starter in the NFL.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What jumps out at this analysis is how often Mooney was open and his QB missed him. Now QBs miss open guys deep all the time but Mooney was more affected by this than most as the following illustrates.

Seriously.

Even the ones he catches, you can see him waiting a beat or two for that ball.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I like Mooney, but just as this hype train is getting going I want to remind of the following:
  • Devin Aromashodu
  • Devin Hester
  • Earl Bennett
  • Johnny Knox
  • Dane Sanzenbacher
  • Cameron Meredith
  • Kevin White
  • Kendall Wright
  • Taylor Gabriel
  • Anthony Miller
There has been varying degrees of excitement around all those players to become viable NFL WRs in a Chicago jersey.

Let's pump the breaks a bit with Mooney. Let him continue to improve and let's do the evaluation when we have more of a history.

I'd add, all teams are like this. Every WR that gets drafted has a college highlight video and and if they show some flashes the excitement starts to build. The issue I have is it can create inaccurate expectations. Mooney had a great rookie season, but let's remember he was a 5th rounder for a reason. Let's give him space and let him develop without any pressure.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Mooney, but just as this hype train is getting going I want to remind of the following:
  • Devin Aromashodu
  • Devin Hester
  • Earl Bennett
  • Johnny Knox
  • Dane Sanzenbacher
  • Cameron Meredith
  • Kevin White
  • Kendall Wright
  • Taylor Gabriel
  • Anthony Miller
There has been varying degrees of excitement around all those players to become viable NFL WRs in a Chicago jersey.

Let's pump the breaks a bit with Mooney. Let him continue to improve and let's do the evaluation when we have more of a history.

I'd add, all teams are like this. Every WR that gets drafted has a college highlight video and and if they show some flashes the excitement starts to build. The issue I have is it can create inaccurate expectations. Mooney had a great rookie season, but let's remember he was a 5th rounder for a reason. Let's give him space and let him develop without any pressure.
Difference is that Mooney has shown at the NFL level, an ability to run routes in a way to find open space, has had more elusive runs with the ball in his hands and defended more poor throws than any of the above. He was a 5th rounder due to college program and size. He's already overcome those concerns.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
  • Devin Aromashodu
  • Devin Hester
  • Earl Bennett
  • Johnny Knox
  • Dane Sanzenbacher
  • Cameron Meredith
  • Kevin White
  • Kendall Wright
  • Taylor Gabriel
  • Anthony Miller

The only true bust with the receivers you listed was Kevin White. Johnny Knox was playing good football until he got hurt. Everyone else was never supposed to be anything special. There is a huge difference between Mooney and 95% of the players on your list. Mooney showed he belonged in the NFL in his rookie season while being on a horrible offense and terrible QBs throwing him the ball. Like I mentioned in another thread, he could have easily been close to or surpassed 1000 yards and a few more TDs with good QB play.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Difference is that Mooney has shown at the NFL level, an ability to run routes in a way to find open space, has had more elusive runs with the ball in his hands and defended more poor throws than any of the above. He was a 5th rounder due to college program and size. He's already overcome those concerns.
And proved he has great hands.