Trade Deadline/Future Line discussion

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who should go?

This is an interesting year, do you compete for a date with the over powered lightning, or build a monster for 2022/2023?

Hagel-Toews-Kubalik (this is a matched trio)
Cat-Strome-Kane
Janmark-Dach-Suter
Carp-Kampf-Kurashev/Wallmark

I think we could move out Carp/DeHaan or trade one of the Yutes for more. Cerrainly trade Suter to contender if he won't take a bridge, I like Janmark if we can afford him.

Wallmark same, but I don't think we should block Kurashev or Hagel for one and done contract guys when they are desired elsewhere.

Several new guys have stepped up and they should use this opportunity to trade some lesser veterans or one years.

Of course Seattle weighs into that, I think the best plan is to leave Kraken dirt for options so you can force them to overpay a bit with surplus draft picks to negotiate leaving Strome available, or a first even for a young defender.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think stand pat maybe look to add someone who is underachieving with another team. Dach should be suiting up soon, and that would likely be our big add.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think stand pat maybe look to add someone who is underachieving with another team. Dach should be suiting up soon, and that would likely be our big add.
Yeah. I mean at this point you stay pat I guess. Unless you have someone who another team is willing to overpay for. You aren't in a position to buy, and you don't have any really good selling chips that are proven enough to get a good price for that would make it worth trading at this point. So much youth you might as well just hold and see what they make of themselves.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Any teams desperate for cap space?

The Carolina Hurricanes made a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs last off-season that has certainly been paying dividends since then. Carolina took on the $6.25 million cap hit of Patrick Marleau in exchange for a 1st round pick (13th overall) in the 2020 NHL entry draft, and a 7th round pick in the NHL entry draft, giving up a 6th round pick in the same draft.

This trade was kind of harsh on Toronto, but they were pressed for cap space and it ended up playing right into the hands of the Carolina Hurricanes, who paid $6,250,000 to move down a round late in the draft and pick up a 1st round draft selection. It looks pretty bad before even breaking it down, so if you’re a Leafs fan, this piece may not be for you. I do not wish to twist the knife anymore.

Bust

Liked Posts:
This is an October 2020 piece but am sure a few of these teams issues still stands. As these teams drop out of the playoffs is when the Hawks may be able to strike a one sided deal. Hawks have over 20 million in cap space <most in the NHL>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Any teams desperate for cap space?

The Carolina Hurricanes made a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs last off-season that has certainly been paying dividends since then. Carolina took on the $6.25 million cap hit of Patrick Marleau in exchange for a 1st round pick (13th overall) in the 2020 NHL entry draft, and a 7th round pick in the NHL entry draft, giving up a 6th round pick in the same draft.

This trade was kind of harsh on Toronto, but they were pressed for cap space and it ended up playing right into the hands of the Carolina Hurricanes, who paid $6,250,000 to move down a round late in the draft and pick up a 1st round draft selection. It looks pretty bad before even breaking it down, so if you’re a Leafs fan, this piece may not be for you. I do not wish to twist the knife anymore.
I'm wondering this myself. With as messed up and strange as this season is, it will be curious to see if anyone tries to sell the farm to make a run. Or just try to hold it all together and get through the season.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who should go?

This is an interesting year, do you compete for a date with the over powered lightning, or build a monster for 2022/2023?

Hagel-Toews-Kubalik (this is a matched trio)
Cat-Strome-Kane
Janmark-Dach-Suter
Carp-Kampf-Kurashev/Wallmark

I think we could move out Carp/DeHaan or trade one of the Yutes for more. Cerrainly trade Suter to contender if he won't take a bridge, I like Janmark if we can afford him.

Wallmark same, but I don't think we should block Kurashev or Hagel for one and done contract guys when they are desired elsewhere.

Several new guys have stepped up and they should use this opportunity to trade some lesser veterans or one years.

Of course Seattle weighs into that, I think the best plan is to leave Kraken dirt for options so you can force them to overpay a bit with surplus draft picks to negotiate leaving Strome available, or a first even for a young defender.

You think Toews will be back? I'm starting to think no

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You think Toews will be back? I'm starting to think no
I would say the trade deadline is a major season marker. If we are in contention after the trade deadline and make moves to win, I would be surprised if he isn't on board to give us a final push into the playoffs and maybe put a scare or two in the Lightning confidence.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. But it's pretty obvious at this point.
I don't know that its obvious. Factors for this timeline remain in favor.

We are near to releasing a post-trade deadline rested Toews to get into game shape just prior to playoffs.

I wouldn't give up hope until its "sport" impractical. That means he needs at least 10 games to play into form.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't know that its obvious. Factors for this timeline remain in favor.

We are near to releasing a post-trade deadline rested Toews to get into game shape just prior to playoffs.

I wouldn't give up hope until its "sport" impractical. That means he needs at least 10 games to play into form.
At this point with them trying to get ahold of what talent they do or don't have in a season they are not going to do significant damage in it does your future more harm than good to half a half in toews take minutes away from young kids.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point with them trying to get ahold of what talent they do or don't have in a season they are not going to do significant damage in it does your future more harm than good to half a half in toews take minutes away from young kids.
I don't know what you are talking about at all.

If they can grab the 4th spot its really anybodies game. The lightning are great but a short season Hawks team are extra dangerous because there hasn't been a targeted attrition war against them for 80 games.

You put a rested Dach and Toews out there and it only gets better. Anything I said pre-season was heavily influenced on the liklihood we would not find a goalie, but Lahtnenon has played for real...

for rookie seasons you can look to Billingslly and a couple others, but there aren't 10 better rookie seasons than Lahtenen, imo.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't know what you are talking about at all.

If they can grab the 4th spot its really anybodies game.
They are 4-8 in the last 12 with only 4 more games again detroit and columbus combined. Anything can happen sure. But it's not trending that way and at some point you are just doing your draft wrong. This is not a cup team. Could they make the playoffs sure but then what.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are 4-8 in the last 12 with only 4 more games again detroit and columbus combined. Anything can happen sure. But it's not trending that way and at some point you are just doing your draft wrong. This is not a cup team. Could they make the playoffs sure but then what.
Then you take on the beast of the league first and fresh.

I'd like to see that series. The Lightning also have serious injury prone players.

The Hawks are playing well even while losing. Their play is for real. You can't fake the scoring chances they create. Their style of play is unique and its unfortunate we have to play the same 6 teams all year, or I think we could create even more trouble, etc.

Suter and Mitchell and Janmark actually were powerful additions...if we can add Toews and Dach before playoffs I will be intrigued.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

I'd like to see that series. The Lightning also have serious injury prone players.

The Hawks are playing well even while losing. Their play is for real. You can't fake the scoring chances they create. Their style of play is unique and its unfortunate we have to play the same 6 teams all year, or I think we could create even more trouble, etc.

Suter and Mitchell and Janmark actually were powerful additions...if we can add Toews and Dach before playoffs I will be intrigued.
That's the problem. They play the same teams all year. Their style may be unique but it's one dimensional and the goalies are exposed the more opposing teams see them. They have energy and grit but still missing a lot of skill. And having the most skilled player in the league only makes up for so much of that. Not to mention at any moment they can be shut down for covid protocol. This season sucks for all involved. Can't trust much you learn from it so just do what you can to get the most for next year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the problem. They play the same teams all year. Their style may be unique but it's one dimensional and the goalies are exposed the more opposing teams see them. They have energy and grit but still missing a lot of skill. And having the most skilled player in the league only makes up for so much of that. Not to mention at any moment they can be shut down for covid protocol. This season sucks for all involved. Can't trust much you learn from it so just do what you can to get the most for next year.
I would agree with you except that we are the old guys with a three cup trio.

I'll take old and weird and short and less games and see what happens?! This might be a better chance for Hawks than normal, except that they have to beat the best first.

I say hell yeah! Lets get the Lightning toe to toe first and settle some past shit. A 50 game Keith>80 game Keith.

Its our advantage being small and old.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I would agree with you except that we are the old guys with a three cup trio.

I'll take old and weird and short and less games and see what happens?! This might be a better chance for Hawks than normal, except that they have to beat the best first.

I say hell yeah! Lets get the Lightning toe to toe first and settle some past shit. A 50 game Keith>80 game Keith.

Its our advantage being small and old.
Love the cups. But we have what....2 players on the ice from the last one?

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Toews won’t be coming back this year, and may not be around next year as well. Rasko I will try and find the link, it was around the time when he sent a message to Kane for his milestone, speculation came about on his return, and it had stated he won’t be back this season.