What if the Bears had NOT signed Andy Dalton

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
But you aren't getting 27 yo AD you are getting 33 yo AD and his last 5 yrs have been bad to borderline atrocious. I think the last 5 years or even more recent are more accurate a predictor than entire career.

It is rare when you try to resurrect a middling career that has gone bad to succeed.
Add in the Bears history at QB and the current HC and I don't see this ending well for Dalton and I don't think he even makes yr 2 of the contract.
I don't think age has anything to do with it. In Andy Dalton's first five years Cincy had good talent around him, which is the only way he can be fairly productive. Over the next four years in Cincy the talent crumbles around him. Dalton cannot win or carry a team without everything around him, he is going to look worse than he really is without that talent.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't think age has anything to do with it. In Andy Dalton's first five years Cincy had good talent around him, which is the only way he can be fairly productive. Over the next four years in Cincy the talent crumbles around him. Dalton cannot win or carry a team without everything around him, he is going to look worse than he really is without that talent.
Have you seen the Bears offense?

AJ Gren, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eifert, Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard are better targets than the group he has with the Bears.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Have you seen the Bears offense?

AJ Gren, Tyler Boyd, Tyler Eifert, Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard are better targets than the group he has with the Bears.
Thought we were talking about the talent Dalton had then lost in Cincy. Not what he is walking into here.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Thought we were talking about the talent Dalton had then lost in Cincy. Not what he is walking into here.
Well, Andy Dalton is a 24-40 QB with Bears level talent , so...

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Well, Andy Dalton is a 24-40 QB with Bears level talent , so...
So you really think Dalton had more talent between 2016 to 2019 in Cincy than the Bears have right now? Lets take a look at that, of the players you were talking about, AJ Green, Boyd, Eifert, Mixon, and Bernard how do they match up to the players the Bears have right now. With Dalton in Cincy from 2016 through 2019 Green missed 35 of a possible 64 starts. In three years with Chicago Robinson has missed just 3 starts, so Robinson > Green. Boyd became Cincy's #1 WR in 2018, a very good player but Robinson is still better. Eifert has had 9 starts since 2016, think I will stick with Graham/Kmet. Mixon or Montgomery. Monty has been a Bears starter for the last two years, and in that time he has more yards and more TD's than Mixon. Third down backs Bernard and Cohen, throwing out 2020 because Cohen only started 3 games and it was Bernard's worst year, from 2017 to 2019 Cohen has more total yards. Judging by this Dalton actually has more weapons here than he did in Cincy over his last four years there after the talent started to dry up.

Still the talent pool is shallow in Chicago, but it was a dry hole in Cincy for Dalton.

twetz

Liked Posts:
Well, Chad Kelly had his pro day workout. If Elijah Moore vouches for him that's all I need. Bring him in. I mean, what's the worst that can happen. Oh sure, he could dress up like Woody from Toy Story, get totally wrecked and crash on a total stranger's sofa, but who hasn't done that once in a while.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Well, Chad Kelly had his pro day workout. If Elijah Moore vouches for him that's all I need. Bring him in. I mean, what's the worst that can happen. Oh sure, he could dress up like Woody from Toy Story, get totally wrecked and crash on a total stranger's sofa, but who hasn't done that once in a while.

I never did.

Nately120

Liked Posts:
We've given up on hoping 2017s SB MVP can win here and moved on to hoping a guy who hasn't had a winning season in 6 years can win here. Oof.

mecha

Liked Posts:
We've given up on hoping 2017s SB MVP can win here and moved on to hoping a guy who hasn't had a winning season in 6 years can win here. Oof.

I haven't interpreted the threads of the last like 3 weeks to be of the hoping variety. I interpret them as the "oh shit, we're fucked" variety.

but as we have discussed in circles during that span of time, even the Chicago Bears can't tank properly; they'll manage a middling season of 7-10 and be picking #20-ish again. permitting of course Pace doesn't trade away 9 high round picks on some bogus trade that will accomplish anything except the polar opposite of what the team should be doing.

I'm on the Chargers bandwagon with the quarterback with the most uncool name ever.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we didn't sign Dalton, it would be more difficult for Pace to draft his new savior in 2.

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace HAD to sign someone, and he had to say they improved at the quarterback in his press conference yesterday after George McCaskey said they need to get better at the quarterback position. Can't go into the draft with the 20th pick, possibly handcuffed, setting out to do that.

My hope that the whole Dalton QB1 thing is just a cringeworthy, out-of-touch, Glennon-like smokescreen to land Wilson is quickly fading.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So you really think Dalton had more talent between 2016 to 2019 in Cincy than the Bears have right now? Lets take a look at that, of the players you were talking about, AJ Green, Boyd, Eifert, Mixon, and Bernard how do they match up to the players the Bears have right now. With Dalton in Cincy from 2016 through 2019 Green missed 35 of a possible 64 starts. In three years with Chicago Robinson has missed just 3 starts, so Robinson > Green. Boyd became Cincy's #1 WR in 2018, a very good player but Robinson is still better. Eifert has had 9 starts since 2016, think I will stick with Graham/Kmet. Mixon or Montgomery. Monty has been a Bears starter for the last two years, and in that time he has more yards and more TD's than Mixon. Third down backs Bernard and Cohen, throwing out 2020 because Cohen only started 3 games and it was Bernard's worst year, from 2017 to 2019 Cohen has more total yards. Judging by this Dalton actually has more weapons here than he did in Cincy over his last four years there after the talent started to dry up.

Still the talent pool is shallow in Chicago, but it was a dry hole in Cincy for Dalton.

Oh look actual facts and someone who knows what he's talking about.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm going to laugh at the end of all of this if we still somehow ended up with Russell Wilson.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'm going to laugh at the end of all of this if we still somehow ended up with Russell Wilson.
According to the talking heads this deal MAY not be done. Seeing would be believing though.