jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Makes you wonder what he wants.

Supposedly, the cubs offered 5 years and 70 million with incentives to earn more. Rizzo's camp is rumored to be looking for something similar to the 5 year 130 million that the Cardinals gave Paul Goldschmidt 2 years ago.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
4 for 100 should be the bottom, although it's a completely new market and Cubs are not interested in sentiment apparently. That's insulting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Supposedly, the cubs offered 5 years and 70 million with incentives to earn more. Rizzo's camp is rumored to be looking for something similar to the 5 year 130 million that the Cardinals gave Paul Goldschmidt 2 years ago.

Rizzo 26 AAV
Cubs 14 AAV

Cubs offer is a insult. 20 AAV with incentive is more real.

Rizzo aimed high here. 20 AAV with perks is fine. 26 is a bit pricey. He did not have to sign that last deal and went like Bryant did. He would have made more.

The Cubs really don't owe him back pay. They are paying for 5 years. He is worth 20 as a base. If he has a monster season he should be paid for it and that is fair. If he doesn't that is fair also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just want to say that if this is the offer sheet that Jed is lining up this is going to be a sad season. No one is going to accept 6 MM AAV under value.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Just want to say that if this is the offer sheet that Jed is lining up this is going to be a sad season. No one is going to accept 6 MM AAV under value.

For what's it's worth, according to the Athletic, that was the cubs starting offer. Sounds like they are way apart. I completely agree they do not own Rizzo payback for 5 years. I would make a take it or leave it offer of 4 years and 80 million.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For what's it's worth, according to the Athletic, that was the cubs starting offer. Sounds like they are way apart. I completely agree they do not own Rizzo payback for 5 years. I would make a take it or leave it offer of 4 years and 80 million.
then he can leave it for FA....fine. The White Sox could use a 1B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rizzo is Ricky Henderson with out wheels.

Goldschmidt is Pujos lite.

Different players and no justification for equal pay.

20 AAV is fine as a base. He will be 33 when he signs his next deal so age is working against him. He wants 5 years then 20+ bumps is the right call.

It is basically the half way point so it makes sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
then he can leave it for FA....fine. The White Sox could use a 1B.

You're good there. Eloy most likely gets stuck at DH and you are not going to bench Abreu over Rizzo.

They should just start Engle this year in LF to see what he brings to the table.

Joc and Schwarber would be the 2 targets as they add a needed LH bat.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A 5 year deal to rizzo would be a huge mistake unless you are simply looking to make a statement about him as the face of the franchise over the last decade. If you are signing him for five years though, he will never live up to that contract. I'd expect him to fall off in the next 2-3 years based off his age and the fact he has consistently had back issues. The smart business decision would be to let him be someone else's problem while he is declining

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is a matter of Rizzo's expected decline and the first base market. Rizzo doesn't really have much to stand on here and the Cubs do.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see them trading him at the break as a rental to some team making a run. Get a ham sandwich instead of nothing. He can still retire as a Cub.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could see them trading him at the break as a rental to some team making a run. Get a ham sandwich instead of nothing. He can still retire as a Cub.

He is worth more with a QO. At 33 he is going to turn it down and take the payday.

On the 1B quote... He is up there with Freeman and I would be shocked if ATL let's their franchise walk.

First Basemen
Brandon Belt (34)
Asdrubal Cabrera (36)
Matt Carpenter (36) — $18.5MM vesting option ($2MM buyout)
C.J. Cron (32)
Derek Dietrich (32)
Todd Frazier (36)
Freddie Freeman (32)
Marwin Gonzalez (33)
Yuli Gurriel (38) — $8MM club option ($500K buyout)
Mitch Moreland (36)
Anthony Rizzo (32)
Pablo Sandoval (35)
Danny Santana (31)
Ryan Zimmerman (37)

Again he is not a 26 mil AAV guy by 14 plus perks is a joke.

20 plus perks is legit. PA of course should be a part of it because of his back history. If the PA's are up then he is healthy and when healthy he is a .400 OBA and 30 HR bat. When they are down he is jacked up and then he should be at 20MM

1B is a spot for old retiring players historically speaking. So the whole age decline bit is pretty laughable. Ernie must be chucking to that upstairs. Act like he is going on 60 and needs the walker.

Last edited:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The ideal scenario is that guys like Bryant and Rizzo perform well but the team is overall bad. Trade them for a haul of prospects at the deadline and start the rebuild officially. This team hasn’t bottomed out just yet so there really is no need to tie up a 33 year old 1B on an expensive deal.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A 5 year deal to rizzo would be a huge mistake unless you are simply looking to make a statement about him as the face of the franchise over the last decade. If you are signing him for five years though, he will never live up to that contract. I'd expect him to fall off in the next 2-3 years based off his age and the fact he has consistently had back issues. The smart business decision would be to let him be someone else's problem while he is declining
I think you could argue for both.

One that it serves them both best to let him go be a mercenary for a bit to the highest bidding contender.

Or 2, that his leadership and inspiration are worth 20-25 hands down for his legacy franchise.

I would use him as an example of a model citizen getting paid if I were the Cubs, but I personally would like to see him go mercenary.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The ideal scenario is that guys like Bryant and Rizzo perform well but the team is overall bad. Trade them for a haul of prospects at the deadline and start the rebuild officially. This team hasn’t bottomed out just yet so there really is no need to tie up a 33 year old 1B on an expensive deal.

14 Mil is what Jed paid Zobrist. Ben was 35 when he inked. They paid him for age 35/36/37/38.

Rizzo will be 33. That 5/70 offer covers 33/34/35/36/37.

Saying Rizzo=Zobrist? At 2 years younger?

Zobrist .266/.357/.426
Rizzo .271/ .372/.485. With 4 GG'S.

Jed insulted Rizzo with that offer.

I'm pretty sure we can agree that Ben got fair market value for a 35 YO vet. Rizzo is still in his prime and 3 of the 5 should be in that time frame. 2 years would be the start of the decline.

This is why I said 5/100 with perks is fair. He has proven to be worth it on an off the field.

Not to mention 20M AAV is 2nd tier cash. That is what a #2 pitcher makes. His 26 high ball is getting into 1st tier cash and some could make that argument but age and chronic back issues should prevent a team from doing that.

Now if it is me and I have to sign 1 of Bryant/Rizzo or Baez and have to either QO or trade the other 2.

Shoot I could argue Rizzo here. 1B is a slower decline. Baez on the other hand loses range and goes to 3B or 2B his value drops severally due to his shit OBA.

Bryant sucks when injured.
He gets injured plenty.
He has not adapted his game to compensate playing at less than 100%
Baseball is a game that players play injured all of the time.

Over all someone will pay him 25M+. And that team will regret it. They will end up with a over paid 1B sooner than later.

He is too much like Soler in this regard.

But you could argue 5/130 for Bryant more that Rizzo. He has 1B to fall back onto and he hits 35 at the close of the deal. But I can also see Boras pushing 10/260. And that makes Rizzo's offer look like a joke.

So 5/100 with perks. Ya that is a respectable offer.

Last edited:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You have to put the Zobrist signing in the proper context. The team was on the upswing not declining. Signing any of these guys to long-term deals is a disaster waiting to happen. I believe Ricketts understands this but has done a poor job communicating it to the fan base. The Cubs will not win another World Series with any of the previous core on the roster. It’s time to turn the roster completely over while some of these guys have value.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Trade Rizzo for prospects

The core of this roster lost the window for another championship anyways. Restock the farm