Nagy to call plays

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty in-line with what's expected. His system requires a QB that can read a defense, make his progressions and deliver the ball accurately: something that Trubisky could never do. Dalton is better equipped to handle the duties. To me, this feels like the Bears' brass saying "ok so Trubisky sucks but prove to me your offense and your ability to run it works."
Foles was also brought in to be the guy who could make presnap reads and go through his progressions. Yet it is well documented that he and Nagy clashed over the play calling. Also anyone with eyes can see the QB play has not been the only issue; playcalling has also been terrible.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Foles was also brought in to be the guy who could make presnap reads and go through his progressions. Yet it is well documented that he and Nagy clashed over the play calling. Also anyone with eyes can see the QB play has not been the only issue; playcalling has also been terrible.
I don't disagree. The Oline was at it's worst when Foles was in there though. It'll be hard to get excited about the protection Dalton will be getting if we don't upgrade one of the tackle positions though. I'm assuming Ifedi is the starter at RT so that leave a possible Leno cut and replace by a 1st/2nd round pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You'd have to ask Nagy. I assume he thinks it's a brilliant uncoverable scheme
I mean if players are constantly intersecting drawing multiple defenders to the exact same spot, what can it be other than horseshit play design? Either that or you have the dumbest set of receivers to ever play the game. I'm going with shitty Arena league level HC play designs.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean if players are constantly intersecting drawing multiple defenders to the exact same spot, what can it be other than horseshit play design? Either that or you have the dumbest set of receivers to ever play the game. I'm going with shitty Arena league level HC play designs.
Technically you’d just have to have one of the dumbest receivers to ever play the game to get himself in the wrong spot. None of Wims, Miller, or Patterson seem like bright guys.

That’s certainly not to say that Nagy’s scheme isn’t horseshit. Or maybe it isn’t the scheme per say and it’s the stubbornness of the visor wearing fuck who is calling the plays and making personnel decisions.

See Mustipher, Bars and possibly Ridley vs. Coward and Wims/Miller.

Against NO in the playoffs Wims and Miller are starting fights and dropping passes, actively hurting the team in a winnable game, Mooney gets hurt and he plays the punt returner? Idk what the deal is with Ridley (he may very well be awful) but when you know Wims and Miller are fuck ups what’s the point in not giving the young draft pick a chance over the punt returner?

discplayer

Liked Posts:
that’s not the point though. Nagy is not a good play caller. his ability to find a QB hasn’t been determined IMO.
To me it’s play calling, sure, but his actual play design is SO often terrible. Receivers aren’t schemed open. We see everyone running horizontal routes or all running vertical routes. He doesn’t use space to create space. There are so often receivers in the same space, such that none of them is/are open. RB’s are swarmed in the backfield because they absolutely KNOW when we’re running the ball... Nagy is an absolute fraud.

I feel for Montgomery, Robinson and Mooney, all guys with talent and who deserve better. Kmet, as well, for that matter. Nagy is not just an awful play caller, he’s a TERRIBLE play designer.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
To me it is less about his ability to call a play and more about his lack of ability to call good plays that take advantage of an opposing defenses weakness and tendency. He has an amazing lack of situational awareness.

His strategy is baffling sometimes, and Foles called him out on it during his short run as the starter. It got him bench. I honestly think that the reason the play book needed to be simplified during Trubisky's tenure is because Nagy was over thinking the pressure situation.

I can almost hear Nagy's thoughts in several critical downs where he would tell himself, "they will never see this play coming" even though it might be a play that goes against the coverage that is being played on the field.

When Lazor was calling plays, Montgomery started to have some success, and the flow in the huddle was smooth.

Nagy is going to hang himself, and that is maybe a good thing, but I would rather he relinquish the play calling duties and learn by watching.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool, he'll be fired by week 6

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
To me it’s play calling, sure, but his actual play design is SO often terrible. Receivers aren’t schemed open. We see everyone running horizontal routes or all running vertical routes. He doesn’t use space to create space. There are so often receivers in the same space, such that none of them is/are open. RB’s are swarmed in the backfield because they absolutely KNOW when we’re running the ball... Nagy is an absolute fraud.

I feel for Montgomery, Robinson and Mooney, all guys with talent and who deserve better. Kmet, as well, for that matter. Nagy is not just an awful play caller, he’s a TERRIBLE play designer.
i don’t think this is the case. it’s not like bill lazor installed a completely new offense during a bye week. he used the same play book but is simply a better play caller.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
To me it is less about his ability to call a play and more about his lack of ability to call good plays that take advantage of an opposing defenses weakness and tendency. He has an amazing lack of situational awareness.

His strategy is baffling sometimes, and Foles called him out on it during his short run as the starter. It got him bench. I honestly think that the reason the play book needed to be simplified during Trubisky's tenure is because Nagy was over thinking the pressure situation.

I can almost hear Nagy's thoughts in several critical downs where he would tell himself, "they will never see this play coming" even though it might be a play that goes against the coverage that is being played on the field.

When Lazor was calling plays, Montgomery started to have some success, and the flow in the huddle was smooth.

Nagy is going to hang himself, and that is maybe a good thing, but I would rather he relinquish the play calling duties and learn by watching.
is he capable of learning by watching? he had the best play caller in football to learn under and seemingly didn’t.

ignignokt

Liked Posts:
Great, Nagy's play calling is the same as an arena football team. Why? Because he was a middle of the road arena QB and his expansive offensive mindset is that of an Arena football QB. We are once again doomed.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
is he capable of learning by watching? he had the best play caller in football to learn under and seemingly didn’t.
If you think about it him and Trubisky are actually a lot alike, both had promise coming into Chicago, but both have proved that the game is too fast for them.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
HC Matt Nagy right now on who’s calling the plays this year: “I’m gonna be the one calling the plays this year ... the fun part right now is building what we wanna do better... getting that right.”

How many times has talked about the "fun part" of his failure.

The "fun part is building..."
The "fun part is recognizing what you did wrong and..."
The "fun part is watching a guy grow as a man and player...
The "fun part is going back and seeing what I need to improve on..."

Hey testicle head, the fun part is winning football games, period.

First we have to figure out the why’s. That’s the fun part before the fun part.

mecha

Liked Posts:
say hypothetically Nagy didn't have the right components to run the offense the way he wanted to. great coaches would adjust to what they have available, right? he didn't do that. but strangely another guy on the staff, using the same exact playbook, yielded better results. the playbook probably isn't the problem, the guy calling the plays is. so... let's make that guy call the plays. if anyone has hope and optimism for the 2021 Bears, do yourself a favor, stop.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
It’s so the can fire and hire a new OC next year and promote it as the change we needed

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's fine. Let him call the plays. If the offensive genius can't get this offense to be just average, then you can fire him