Would you be upset if the Bears traded 20 for a low 1st and extra low 2nd - Draft David Mills with 1st?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If trading up isn't going to work and still fill all the holes for the team to win this year and Darnold doesn't look like it will work out - Would you be upset if the Bears traded 20 for a low 1st and extra low 2nd - Draft David Mills with the 1st? Use the 2nd rounders and 3rd for two OTs and a WR. Get a 2nd WR with one of the 6ths. I like Mills upside better than Mond. This is a deep draft for OT and WR. Get 2 of each this year.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I would think you could get Mills in the 2nd or even 3rd/beyond. I could get on board with a trade down to a late 1st, drafting the best available CB/OT. I'd imagine trading #20 for a late first will net them at least a 3rd rounder +. Maybe even a 2nd. No matter how you slice it, I think the most ideal situation is CB, OT, WR, and QB in some order with the first four picks. Trade down is preferable and I would even double down. Pace traded down TWICE in the 2nd round the year Whitehair was drafted. I wouldn't mind a similar strategy. Trade down in the 1st. Double trade down in the 2nd. If something presents itself in the mid rounds, trade down then too. The Bears have a lot of needs not only with their starters, but quality depth as well. Pace has shown an aptitude for finding good players in rounds 2-5 and even UDFA. Load up on those picks.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
When you don't have a QB, I fully support taking QBs until you get it right. That being said, you can't take a QB for the sake of taking a QB. Davis Mills is not a 1st round player, even if you account for QBs typically going a round earlier than their talent suggests (see Jones, Mac).

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I like Mills in the 2nd after a trade down. Maybe you get lucky and he turns into Derek Carr 2.0

At the end of the day, the Bears are going to end up taking a project QB that could very likely never amount to anything. They're not going to be able to trade up to take one of the top QBs. Take a shot at one, but accumulate picks and try to infuse as much talent as you can across the board. Hone in on OL, CB, and WR. Take some shots on DL/LB too. The D is getting a bit long in the tooth, so in a draft that you're likely not going to find your franchise QB, make sure you're replenishing the pantry for the rest of the roster.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Other than experience what are the issues with Mills. I watched all of his Pro Day in the rain and some film and I don’t see them. He has the same number of starts as Lance but comes from a respected school and Conference. Need to take the QB with the highest upside. We won’t be the only team looking for a QB in late 1st or high 2nd.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Other than experience what are the issues with Mills. I watched all of his Pro Day in the rain and some film and I don’t see them. He has the same number of starts as Lance but comes from a respected school and Conference. Need to take the QB with the highest upside. We won’t be the only team looking for a QB in late 1st or high 2nd.

I think the main issues are experience and possibly some injury concerns. They're both legit questions. I'd take a stab at em in the 2nd though.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I can't think of anything he did in an ND vs. Stanford game that made me think he was worthy of anything near the first 4 rounds of the draft. He reminds me of Ben DiNucci maybe?

Draft a QB, hell yes, but maybe someone better.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can't think of anything he did in an ND vs. Stanford game that made me think he was worthy of anything near the first 4 rounds of the draft. He reminds me of Ben DiNucci maybe?

Draft a QB, hell yes, but maybe someone better.

Maybe watch more than one game?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
If trading up isn't going to work and still fill all the holes for the team to win this year and Darnold doesn't look like it will work out - Would you be upset if the Bears traded 20 for a low 1st and extra low 2nd - Draft David Mills with the 1st? Use the 2nd rounders and 3rd for two OTs and a WR. Get a 2nd WR with one of the 6ths. I like Mills upside better than Mond. This is a deep draft for OT and WR. Get 2 of each this year.

I literally just mocked Minnie drafting Mills late in the first by trading into the late first as a humor piece. Now, mofos be crazy and thinking Mills is a first round pick?

Dude, Mills and Trask are trash. These two Qbs are a case study in mass group think. He is, at best, a 6th round pick to develop to be the camp arm and hold a clipboard, and, maybe, scratch some nuts.

Mills in the first, and on this team? Get the fuck out of here. I just can’t. Are people serious with this shit?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OP shoulda added a poll: Yes / No / other. Much more interesting thread.

I say Yes to the trade down if a great talent doesn't drop to 20. Get that extra pick!

Mills = meh. Don't know enough about him, but not hearing much might indicate he could be had later than this?

Last edited:

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’d rather trade the 1st this year for a 1st next year and another mid round pick(s).

Load up on draft capitol this year and parlay that capitol into a trade up next year. They could still get a Mills/Mond/Trask in the 2nd and build up the OL.

Use this year as a throw away year. Let the rookie QB start the last 6-7 games of the year to see if he can play. If he can great you still have 2 1sts the next year to build around him. If he can’t then you have 2 1sts to trade up and take another swing and a cheap backup for 3 more years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I’d rather trade the 1st this year for a 1st next year and another mid round pick(s).

Load up on draft capitol this year and parlay that capitol into a trade up next year. They could still get a Mills/Mond/Trask in the 2nd and build up the OL.

Use this year as a throw away year. Let the rookie QB start the last 6-7 games of the year to see if he can play. If he can great you still have 2 1sts the next year to build around him. If he can’t then you have 2 1sts to trade up and take another swing and a cheap backup for 3 more years.
You want a GM on the hot seat to throw away this year?
(And compound the problem by wasting a 2nd on a QB that can't start in the NFL?)