Would you trade down in 1st and grab Etienne and the best OT available?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don’t draft RBs high... ever.

Don’t draft RBs high when you have a mediocre OL

Don’t draft RBs high when you already have good ones

Dont draft RBs high when you need a QB.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Hard pass on any RBs in the first, unless they are a once in a generation talent but even then...

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Hard pass on a RB that early
Don’t draft RBs high... ever.

Don’t draft RBs high when you have a mediocre OL

Don’t draft RBs high when you already have good ones

Dont draft RBs high when you need a QB.
Hard pass on any RBs in the first, unless they are a once in a generation talent but even then...

How has that been working out for the last forever?
Throw that internet Bear fan wisdom in along with we need top 10 pass rushers at all defensive positions but anyone in the 7th round can handle keeping those top 10 pass rushers off our QB.

And you wonder why we can't run up the middle.

If this guy actually falls and we could trade back to get him that would be very much worth it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I really like Monty, kid plays hard and its no knock on him. But Etienne has electricity like Dalvin Cook. He brings an explosive element to an offense.

I think Etienne has the talent of an early-mid first rounder, but because he is a running back, there are talks of him dropping into the early 2nd, which I think is insane.

So the question is, if you could drop back from 20 to like 28 or 29, and grab a pick somewhere in the early 60s (fair according to the chart), grab Etienne in the late first and then move up with the pick you gained to grab the next best OT (someone in the early 30s), would that make the 2021 Bears a better team?

You now have an electric home run hitting running back, who can take any play to the house. Takes a ton of pressure off the passing game. Interesting proposition not really as a position of need but in drafting the BPA when someone like that is available.
Any GM drafting a RB in the first round - especially given the Bears situation - should be shot. That would be the single worst move they could make.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I really like Monty, kid plays hard and its no knock on him. But Etienne has electricity like Dalvin Cook. He brings an explosive element to an offense.

I think Etienne has the talent of an early-mid first rounder, but because he is a running back, there are talks of him dropping into the early 2nd, which I think is insane.

So the question is, if you could drop back from 20 to like 28 or 29, and grab a pick somewhere in the early 60s (fair according to the chart), grab Etienne in the late first and then move up with the pick you gained to grab the next best OT (someone in the early 30s), would that make the 2021 Bears a better team?

You now have an electric home run hitting running back, who can take any play to the house. Takes a ton of pressure off the passing game. Interesting proposition not really as a position of need but in drafting the BPA when someone like that is available.
No

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Throw that internet Bear fan wisdom in along with we need top 10 pass rushers at all defensive positions but anyone in the 7th round can handle keeping those top 10 pass rushers off our QB.

If this guy actually falls and we could trade back to get him that would be very much worth it.

No. He wouldn't improve the roster much and there are much more pressing needs than an above average RB

TL1961

Liked Posts:

When is the last time you actually watched an NFL game? This is not your father's NFL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

We can’t run because our OL isn’t good.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Haven't you heard??? Nagy 8s going back to the playcalling and we already have 3 guys to split the 10 total running plays.

greg23

Liked Posts:

Cedric Benson, Rashaan Salam, Curtis Enis all say hello.

Just what we need....a 4th running back, picked in the 1st round....brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No. He wouldn't improve the roster much and there are much more pressing needs than an above average RB

I agree we need oline and have been saying that since we wasted a top 10 pick on Smith and then Trubisky's contract of 1sts on Mack. But there is plenty of room for improvement at every position on offense.

When is the last time you actually watched an NFL game? This is not your father's NFL.

When is the last time you watched a Bears game and seen our below average RBs being touted as greats by fans?

Cedric Benson, Rashaan Salam, Curtis Enis all say hello.

Just what we need....a 4th running back, picked in the 1st round....brilliant.

You think he's going to be a bust? I haven't seen him since his freshman year so I don't know. I just know I saw a great one in the making at that time.
The OP's scenario is that he drops to the 2nd and we trade back. Considering at least 2 of those 4 RBs are very expendable and the team wouldn't miss them at all I think that would be a good move if it plays out like that.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
This is supposed to be one of the deepest OT drafts. We better draft an OT in the first or second at latest unless we are wheeling and dealing for a qb. BPA has to be weighted with positional value. The three most important positions in football are qb, ot and pass rusher in case anyone forgot.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Montgomery is far from below average. Is he elite? No. Does he hold the offense back? No. Etienne would have roughly the same stats with this line.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We should.

Nope. Not happening and nor should he. Picking up a LT is fine but the interior line is set set with Daniels/Mustipher/Whitehair. RT can be Idefi or Bars. With Mustipher making the blocking calls at C, Whitehair was dominating again at RG. Whitehair was probably the main culprit at making incorrect blocking adjustments when he was at C, something that Kreutz repeatedly pointed out. Its sad it took it took a few years for the coaches to figure this out but we shouldn't be surprised. Line will be fine but depth should be addressed. More pressing needs at CB & WR--with Arob likely gone next year--then RT. Depth must be addressed though. I don't think people realize how well the line played with Mustipher at C

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
We should.

Problem is the mindless chant of defense defense defense, anyone can play oline comes from the Bears organization and fans are parroting it. Should but won't.

Another thing about trading back (which I don't expect to happen) is we end up with the probably good RB and more spots for oline in the high rounds.
At this point we could use all the picks we can get. Especially if we plan on getting a top QB in the next few years.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I guess the board has their mind made up on OT at #20. Not unreasonable considering seeing the struggles of Massie and Leno the last few seasons.

And its likely reasonable to select a starting Right Tackle at 20 overall, especially in a draft when you have 5 QBs going ahead of you, which means the Bears get to select from one of the top 15 positional players in the draft.

I just hope the right guy falls. When you lock yourself into a position that late in the first round, many things can happen ahead of you. If there is a run on OTs and the Bears don't want to or can't trade down, I expect they would have a CB or WR in mind at spot.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Trade down to take a player at a position not needed? Pretty on brand for ccs bears board.

Puff puff pass, OP.