Ross Tucker thinks the hate on Matt Nagy has gone too far because he's never had a losing season and did it all with a 2.5M backup QB

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
True, but he probably wasn’t interested in the Bears because of the presence of Trubisky.
Maybe but the bears made no effort. This is the problem with nagy. You have to find a qb that fits in his system instead of making his system work with good players.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it was a trick play that worked. Nagy can’t make Wimms catch the ball... I get bears fans are blood thirsty but this is just stupid.
Why the angle? He can put somebody out there that can catch or run routes. He had 48 yards receiving last year. 4 yards per target. How about that 1st Saints game before dropping that bomb in the 2nd one? Probably cost us that one and sure changed the complexion of the 2nd. I get that we don't have enough great options here but he has a guy with hands that can run routes even if he doesn't get great separation. They only time Wims did, he whiffed. Wims can block BFD. I guess that's better than using a FB that can't.
No. Rivers is a way better qb. The choice between a hof qb with a little bit left in a tank and you can sign outright vs a qb who got hot for one sb run and sucked in jacksonville and you have to give picks for is pretty simple.
Never argued he isn't better, he is but they can't do it alone. Was pointing out that he'd have difficulty showing it with the way the line was configured early. He had an 88 rating and won 5 games with similarly poor protection on the Chargers. He's better than Foles but the result would have been similar with Nagy's early reluctance to play action.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You have to give Nagy some of the blame for the QB mess at Halas Hall. He took the job knowing Mitch was his QB. Daniel "knew the system". Foles "knew the system".

I think Nagy is a great leader but he has yet to show that he knows how to build a consistent offense. As soon as the NFL caught onto him in '18, its been nothing but downhill. OL or not. QB or not. He's shown very little ability to maximize what he has. The biggest issue i have is that theres just too much bad to go around and too many people who have played their part in it. Pace, Nagy, Mitch, OL. Cant pinpoint anything but i can confidently say that no one has done their part. All points back to Pace but you would have liked to see more from the so called offensive guru.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You have to give Nagy some of the blame for the QB mess at Halas Hall. He took the job knowing Mitch was his QB. Daniel "knew the system". Foles "knew the system".

I think Nagy is a great leader but he has yet to show that he knows how to build a consistent offense. As soon as the NFL caught onto him in '18, its been nothing but downhill. OL or not. QB or not. He's shown very little ability to maximize what he has. The biggest issue i have is that theres just too much bad to go around and too many people who have played their part in it. Pace, Nagy, Mitch, OL. Cant pinpoint anything but i can confidently say that no one has done their part. All points back to Pace but you would have liked to see more from the so called offensive guru.
It's looking like Nagy is just another guy who happened to be close to Andy Reid. But we'll see how he does with a more competent, unspectacular QB in Dalton and a solid host of offensive weapons.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
And the OL was at least average at the end of the year when they put players in the right positions. Same guys they had on the roster at the start of the year but they insisted on Coward and Ifedi as Gs and ignored Mustifer. That's coaching. If they start the year with Leno, Whitehair, Mustifer, Daniel, Ifedi, that is not a bad line. Certainly not special but not bad.
it certainly didn’t look average against green bay and the saints. it looked kinda average against the houston texans though so i guess that counts for something? Tackle is a huge need that Pace needs to fix to make this OL something to work with.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Why the angle? He can put somebody out there that can catch or run routes. He had 48 yards receiving last year. 4 yards per target. How about that 1st Saints game before dropping that bomb in the 2nd one? Probably cost us that one and sure changed the complexion of the 2nd. I get that we don't have enough great options here but he has a guy with hands that can run routes even if he doesn't get great separation. They only time Wims did, he whiffed. Wims can block BFD. I guess that's better than using a FB that can't.

Never argued he isn't better, he is but they can't do it alone. Was pointing out that he'd have difficulty showing it with the way the line was configured early. He had an 88 rating and won 5 games with similarly poor protection on the Chargers. He's better than Foles but the result would have been similar with Nagy's early reluctance to play action.
Wimms was the trick... he got so open because he’s primarily a blocker. It was a good play call and play design just bad execution.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wimms was the trick... he got so open because he’s primarily a blocker. It was a good play call and play design just bad execution.
It was a great play call but it also didn't work for the same reason. I don't think anyone has said Nagy couldn't design a play. That's never been the issue.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
And the OL was at least average at the end of the year when they put players in the right positions. Same guys they had on the roster at the start of the year but they insisted on Coward and Ifedi as Gs and ignored Mustifer. That's coaching. If they start the year with Leno, Whitehair, Mustifer, Daniel, Ifedi, that is not a bad line. Certainly not special but not bad.
Then it was pure luck that Belichek got the GOAT at QB, because without injury, as a 6th rd pick Brady probably never sees the field...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then it was pure luck that Belichek got the GOAT at QB, because without injury, as a 6th rd pick Brady probably never sees the field...
Was the guy in front of him playing as bad as our OL? I love the Brady excuse, like no late round players ever develop themselves and become starters. Maybe the GOAT actually started to show something beyond his draft position. Would his career been that much different if he started a year later? Never sees the field, LMFAO. Same with Romo or Warner. How'd they even make a roster?:rolleyes: Also Belichick has a history of developing OL and rotating as needed. Always mixed top picks with late picks/UDFAs to get a result.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Was the guy in front of him playing as bad as our OL? I love the Brady excuse, like no late round players ever develop themselves and become starters. Maybe the GOAT actually started to show something beyond his draft position. Would his career been that much different if he started a year later? Never sees the field, LMFAO. Same with Romo or Warner. How'd they even make a roster?:rolleyes: Also Belichick has a history of developing OL and rotating as needed. Always mixed top picks with late picks/UDFAs to get a result.
The point is, no coach is perfect at even evaluating the players on their own team. That goes for every position.

Does it matter how and when Nagy found out they could play? Only if your agenda is to trash everything Nagy at all costs.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
It was a great play call but it also didn't work for the same reason. I don't think anyone has said Nagy couldn't design a play. That's never been the issue.
i’m not going to say you specifically have said that but plenty of posters here have. Like i said, Nagy gets flack for everything because Bears fans are tied of the same old shit but maybe investing in some of the most important positions in football (QB and OT) would help? when was the last time the Bears drafted an OT in the first 2 rounds?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

i don’t think this is true, whether we pretend like he didn’t or we acknowledge it, Nagy changed his offense to fit the QB last season. it didn’t work all that well but he at least tried.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
i don’t think this is true, whether we pretend like he didn’t or we acknowledge it, Nagy changed his offense to fit the QB last season. it didn’t work all that well but he at least tried.
Id like to see numbers(not saying you have to provide them) to back this up because every time they play dog-shit Ds and Mitch plays well, people all of a sudden credit Nagy with playing to Mitch's strengths when it looks like the same offense, just executed better vs terrible competition. Also Lazor allegedly was calling plays through some of that. It just all feels like bs.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Id like to see numbers(not saying you have to provide them) to back this up because every time they play dog-shit Ds and Mitch plays well, people all of a sudden credit Nagy with playing to Mitch's strengths when it looks like the same offense, just executed better vs terrible competition. Also Lazor allegedly was calling plays through some of that. It just all feels like bs.
the main number i would point to is David Montgomery finishing 5th in rushing yards, and fourth in rushing attempts. That’s what a commitment to the run game with a shit offensive line looks like.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy changed his offense to fit the QB last season. it didn’t work all that well but he at least tried.

Nagy didn't really change the offense to fit the QB, Nagy changed the offense because he did not trust the QB.

It's this common theme I see with Matt Nagy going all the way back to the double doink. He calls plays with so little faith in the pieces around him. Not trusting your RB to break 20 touches while also not trusting your QB to break four yards downfield made an offense that scares literally no one outside of Jacksonville, Florida.

I do have more faith in Andy Dalton calling Nagy out on that shit than his predecessors which will either make this finally work or go down in spectacular enough flames that I won't have too see either one of them again this time next year.