Ross Tucker thinks the hate on Matt Nagy has gone too far because he's never had a losing season and did it all with a 2.5M backup QB

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
He is the HC, and he get both blame and credit for the overall record, but beyond that, everyone also knows that he is exclusively responsible for the offense, and only marginally responsible for the defense.....

Some of the best head coaches in the NFL, are not actively calling the offense or defense, but are involved in both. I actually think Nagy would be better off in that role.

It might actually allow him to focus on the bigger strategy of the game.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I don't disagree. He get's shit on WAY too much IMO.

BUT...... if a guy is brought in to fix the offense and it still looks this bad after three years then that's a problem.

I think many fans credit Fangio's defense for Nagy's record. And there is truth to that.

Yes this. So how exactly does he get shit on too much?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy didn't really change the offense to fit the QB, Nagy changed the offense because he did not trust the QB.

It's this common theme I see with Matt Nagy going all the way back to the double doink. He calls plays with so little faith in the pieces around him. Not trusting your RB to break 20 touches while also not trusting your QB to break four yards downfield made an offense that scares literally no one outside of Jacksonville, Florida.

I do have more faith in Andy Dalton calling Nagy out on that shit than his predecessors which will either make this finally work or go down in spectacular enough flames that I won't have too see either one of them again this time next year.

The latter. Go down in flames yes. Foles fought him and lost but mainly because Foles was worse than Mitch - even worse than a Mitch that needs a "playbook" to be trimmed to one-read half-field.

I still wonder how much was Foles or Nagy saying "hey O-line Foles is here! Block to the time it takes for these routes to branch and let Foles read and hit the best target".

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The point is, no coach is perfect at even evaluating the players on their own team. That goes for every position.

Does it matter how and when Nagy found out they could play? Only if your agenda is to trash everything Nagy at all costs.
Every player and coach is judged by the sum of their decisions and results. You are the one that chose to single that out of my more comprehensive post and the post itself didn't say I want him gone. It said we need to see improvement from his poorer tendencies. I'm defending against nit picks here when the problems with Nagy have been more comprehensive... but it appears to be getting better. Point was that he needs to continue to do so.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i’m not going to say you specifically have said that but plenty of posters here have. Like i said, Nagy gets flack for everything because Bears fans are tied of the same old shit but maybe investing in some of the most important positions in football (QB and OT) would help? when was the last time the Bears drafted an OT in the first 2 rounds?
In fact, I've said the opposite. That the plays are fine but the O fails due to sequencing, personnel groups and the associated tells. That and shitty QBs.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The latter. Go down in flames yes

I spent all last summer believing Nagy had finally learned he needs to have a legitimate rushing attack and it really looked like that he learned the first three games of the season.

Then came the losing streak and my dreams were crushed.

Sure they got back to it later against some cupcake defensive lines, but that free fall period with the playcalling that seemed the equivalent of continually beating your head into a wall and wondering why your bleeding showed the leopard's spots well enough for me.

Nagy will eventually panic and he is bad at football when he panics.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I spent all last summer believing Nagy had finally learned he needs to have a legitimate rushing attack and it really looked like that he learned the first three games of the season.

Then came the losing streak and my dreams were crushed.

Oh I know you did. That's why I challenged you and bet on it re: Montgomery's numbers.

You won but you ultimately agreed I was right.

Could not agree you with more re: Nagy now. I think he really did turn over playcalling to Lazor and we were in a sweet spot when it happened but he took over again (obviously watching some of those plays vs. GB and NO).

We are not going to win with Nagy ever.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Monty averaged 52 yards per through the 1st 9 games and without a 90 yard game. Things picked up a lot in the last 6 when Lazor was making most of the calls.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Nagy didn't really change the offense to fit the QB, Nagy changed the offense because he did not trust the QB.

It's this common theme I see with Matt Nagy going all the way back to the double doink. He calls plays with so little faith in the pieces around him. Not trusting your RB to break 20 touches while also not trusting your QB to break four yards downfield made an offense that scares literally no one outside of Jacksonville, Florida.

I do have more faith in Andy Dalton calling Nagy out on that shit than his predecessors which will either make this finally work or go down in spectacular enough flames that I won't have too see either one of them again this time next year.
i guess im left wondering what’s there to trust in Mitch and Foles? Blind faith is not a virtue.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes this. So how exactly does he get shit on too much?

Do you live under a rock? He is trashed mercilessly on here and by Bears fans in general. If he can't fix the offense he has to go but let's not act like he's Trestman.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
the main number i would point to is David Montgomery finishing 5th in rushing yards, and fourth in rushing attempts. That’s what a commitment to the run game with a shit offensive line looks like.
I was more so talking about his QB.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i guess im left wondering what’s there to trust in Mitch and Foles? Blind faith is not a virtue.

Blind faith got him Coach of the Year. Zero faith is about to get him canned.

I hope he finds balance in 2021, but I don't have much faith.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Do you live under a rock? He is trashed mercilessly on here and by Bears fans in general. If he can't fix the offense he has to go but let's not act like he's Trestman.

But as you said he was brought in to fix the offense and has failed and the offense looks worse each year. So he deserves to be "trashed in general" by your own admission. Yes he has to go and no, Bears fans are probably MORE upset with the owners then him for not doing so.

Who is "acting like he is Trestman"? What is the difference between saying Nagy "needs to go" vs. saying Trestman "needs to go"? I think you are making good points to yourself in your mind but it isn't necessarily translating here yet?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
vic fangio got him coach of the year

Can't argue that, but he also had Tarik Cohen throwing TD passes & Aikem Hicks in the backfield on the goal line.

Nagy got a lot of shit for relying on "trick plays", but at least he was showing ingenuity & confidence...two things lacking in the two seasons since.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Can't argue that, but he also had Tarik Cohen throwing TD passes & Aikem Hicks in the backfield on the goal line.

Nagy got a lot of shit for relying on "trick plays", but at least he was showing ingenuity & confidence...two things lacking in the two seasons since.
Nagy gets his head bashed in for using Patterson as a running back... which is the same thing the greatest coach of all time did in new england a year before Patterson came to chicago.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I once said to someone (can't remember who) that those trick goalline plays that always seemed to work out in 2018 may have been the worst thing to happen to him and his ego and he is constantly chasing that "genius" narrative each week to the detriment of basic offense 101