Illini BB

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Isn't Europe basically shut down right now? As well as many parts of Asia. I don't see him playing ball anytime soon. Best move is to come back for another year, let most of the world get vaccinated, then go pro.

Now is the wrong time.
I think Trent will come back. That appears to be the rumor and I think I heard he would make an announcement today/tonight.

I think his "entered the NBA draft" means "going pro somewhere". Maybe it's not up to the player himself to say "I won't get drafted, so I am announcing I am going to play in Greece."

Either way, I agree that the timing is not great. And hopefully he confirms his return.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I just thought he was reporting second hand rather than hearing from Trent. I didn't mean "don't trust him" as much as "don't trust that report". But glad to hear you say that.
The information came from Trent's Dad. Now I am guessing Trent has backed off a bit as his dad stole his moment a bit...I still expect Trent to make an "I'm Back" type of announcement soon.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The information came from Trent's Dad. Now I am guessing Trent has backed off a bit as his dad stole his moment a bit...I still expect Trent to make an "I'm Back" type of announcement soon.
That's what I was referring to. It was just so quick after his announcement that he was making himself draft eligible that it seemed their wires were crossed. But I also expect Trent to make his own announcement.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Illinois lands Alphonso Plummer, legit double digit scoring guard from Utah. One year transfer. 13ppg and close to 40% behind the line, a legit gunner.

Nothing definitive on Trent but his social media looks like he's not coming back.

Don't know if its been reported here, but UI has also been stocking up a big wings for 2021 and 2022, five commits between 6'4 and 6'7, pretty much all long guys who can shoot. Their lack of length on the wing was a bit of an issue this year.

Just got Brandin Podziemski this week, probably the highest rated of the group for now, but one of the 2022 guys, AJ Storr, is going to rise up the ranking very quickly in the coming months.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
And Frazier is coming back, great.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What's the latest on Kofi

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I haven't heard much on Kofi other than he been working out in Champaign, which I suppose is a good sign?

Word is Damonte Williams is going to play his extra year but that's just rumor at this point.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Kofi will not make a decision until he gets some feedback from NBA scouts/execs so he will not be making a decision until after there’s a draft camp. It could be a couple of months I think they’re expecting close to July before he announces anything

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Jermaine Hamlin entered the transfer portal, opening another spot for Illinois to bring someone in.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kofi declared but no announcement if he hired an agent

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Lots of rumors that Antigua and Gentry will be leaving. If so that will really hurt recruiting, especially with the international players. Antigua is an elite recruiter imo.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lots of rumors that Antigua and Gentry will be leaving. If so that will really hurt recruiting, especially with the international players. Antigua is an elite recruiter imo.
I’ve not heard that. I saw Underwood discussing assistants getting HC jobs and assumed it was down the road. Are there any head coach jobs open?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yep, Antigua is a great assistant coach.

But if UI doesn't lose anymore players or recruits they will be in good shape for awhile at least.

They are basically going to bring in five guys who will be rated between about 50-100 over the next two years if everyone stays. Versatile wings who are long and can shoot, not one and dones but very good players.