I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Meanwhile...darvish has a stellar 2.27 ERA in just over 31 innings...and his last two starts both against the dodgers...14 innings with 2 earned runs allowed and 18 strikeouts

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meanwhile...darvish has a stellar 2.27 ERA in just over 31 innings...and his last two starts both against the dodgers...14 innings with 2 earned runs allowed and 18 strikeouts
I mean really....who cares? With him, they might be a .500 team....without him, something less. They score runs like twice a week these days, so he'd have to be great to do anything substantial here. My only bitch is that they got so little in return for him.

The thing is that the days of Cub fans being satisfied over the team being competitive are over now. I haven't seen a whole game yet this season and probably won't all year. They are boring and sleep inducing.....I watch an inning or two and move on. Judging by how dead this forum has become....I'm not alone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Looks like a Workman got his ass worked.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's not good.

I would like to see Megill converted to a starter. Big guy that pounds 99 with a cutter. Ya that is something to work with.

Jed was trash picking up his off-season. He has 2 on the DL. Brothers has been a find. Adams was another Jed classic.

But Megill was a rule. V pick up last year and Jed paid the Padres off to keep him.

Dude looks scary up there and if he goes up and in on a guy leaning.... Well better call 911.

Looking over his history he has been a relief pitcher his whole tenure. 157 IP. 140 hits. 48 walks 216 SO and 15 HR's.

Now looking at him 6'8" 250 and pegs 99. Well I would put him down in Iowa and extend him into a starter while having him work on change/palm/fork etc to get a speed variance. The cutter is 89 but going in with 2 pitches more than a inning is not going to end well.

The thing is this year is garbage anyways. But a guy like him could become a work horse for the staff due to his body type and velocity.

The thought of Megill/Marquez/Alozay all pre arbitration pushing the staff forward. Well

Last edited:

HankSauered

Liked Posts:
I would like to see Megill converted to a starter. Big guy that pounds 99 with a cutter. Ya that is something to work with.

Jed was trash picking up his off-season. He has 2 on the DL. Brothers has been a find. Adams was another Jed classic.

But Megill was a rule. V pick up last year and Jed paid the Padres off to keep him.

Dude looks scary up there and if he goes up and in on a guy leaning.... Well better call 911.

Looking over his history he has been a relief pitcher his whole tenure. 157 IP. 140 hits. 48 walks 216 SO and 15 HR's.

Now looking at him 6'8" 250 and pegs 99. Well I would put him down in Iowa and extend him into a starter while having him work on change/palm/fork etc to get a speed variance. The cutter is 89 but going in with 2 pitches more than a inning is not going to end well.

The thing is this year is garbage anyways. But a guy like him could become a work horse for the staff due to his body type and velocity.

The thought of Megill/Marquez/Alozay all pre arbitration pushing the staff forward. Well
I like how you think. Let’s get some heat throwers in that rotation.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like how you think. Let’s get some heat throwers in that rotation.

It would be nice.

Regardless it is just a muse from a fanboi vs any insider info.

Still it happens. Nothing to lose. That is how you find diamonds in the rough. See if he can. If not he throws gas and set up is a great need also.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Highlight of the month is Rizzo striking out Freeman.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'll say this... july is shaping up to be really interesting. All do respect to shark and Jason Hammel but the current cubs have far more dynamic players than anyone they traded in the previous rebuild. Kimbrel almost certainly will be the most interesting reliever on the market unless the brewers move Hader. He's on a one year deal with an option for next year. Arrieta and Williams aren't aces but they could be very solid starters at the back end of a rotation if someone gets hurt.

And that's before we say a word about the bats. Bryant is playing at an MVP level again(166 wRC+ is noticeably higher than his 148 wRC+ 2016). Rizzo's BABIP has been shit but other than that he looks fine and his career BABIP is way higher so likely just a sampling issue. Baez is a super weird case because he looks terrible but the power saves his bat and you're getting his defense. Some team loses a SS then he becomes a really interesting target. I wouldn't deal Contreras personally but I suppose you could toss him in as well.

Bryant and Kimbrel in particular could really let the cubs some much needed top end talent. The Indians got like 2 2nd round picks and 2 post hype top 100 guys for Lindor and Carassco. Half a of Bryant is worth less than that but almost certainly you're picking up a top 100 guy and if he's hitting like an MVP.... who knows what people will pay. Likewise, Kimbrel can likely bring back way more than he's probably worth to a team that is desperate. For the sake of argument, let's just say you get back 2 top 100 guys for those two which is probably conservative.... that would make. the cubs farm system a lot more interesting and it's not like they'd be "losing" much given both are probably gone after the season anyways.

You then add in the minor piece you could potentially get with the rest of the movable parts.... I mean the cubs farm system isn't that bad as is it just lacks the top end talent. They have a lot of interesting depth guys but other than Davis and maybe Marquez they don't have anyone who'd played games who you can say I wanna build around that guy. I phrased it that way because Howard and Christian Hernandez may end up being those type of players but we don't know yet

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I should probably also add that Bryant is interesting additionally because you can play him in either corner of the OF too so it's not teams who need a 3B who he could interest

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'll say this... july is shaping up to be really interesting. All do respect to shark and Jason Hammel but the current cubs have far more dynamic players than anyone they traded in the previous rebuild. Kimbrel almost certainly will be the most interesting reliever on the market unless the brewers move Hader. He's on a one year deal with an option for next year. Arrieta and Williams aren't aces but they could be very solid starters at the back end of a rotation if someone gets hurt.

And that's before we say a word about the bats. Bryant is playing at an MVP level again(166 wRC+ is noticeably higher than his 148 wRC+ 2016). Rizzo's BABIP has been shit but other than that he looks fine and his career BABIP is way higher so likely just a sampling issue. Baez is a super weird case because he looks terrible but the power saves his bat and you're getting his defense. Some team loses a SS then he becomes a really interesting target. I wouldn't deal Contreras personally but I suppose you could toss him in as well.

Bryant and Kimbrel in particular could really let the cubs some much needed top end talent. The Indians got like 2 2nd round picks and 2 post hype top 100 guys for Lindor and Carassco. Half a of Bryant is worth less than that but almost certainly you're picking up a top 100 guy and if he's hitting like an MVP.... who knows what people will pay. Likewise, Kimbrel can likely bring back way more than he's probably worth to a team that is desperate. For the sake of argument, let's just say you get back 2 top 100 guys for those two which is probably conservative.... that would make. the cubs farm system a lot more interesting and it's not like they'd be "losing" much given both are probably gone after the season anyways.

You then add in the minor piece you could potentially get with the rest of the movable parts.... I mean the cubs farm system isn't that bad as is it just lacks the top end talent. They have a lot of interesting depth guys but other than Davis and maybe Marquez they don't have anyone who'd played games who you can say I wanna build around that guy. I phrased it that way because Howard and Christian Hernandez may end up being those type of players but we don't know yet
I think Preciado will be extremely interesting to watch develop too along with Howard and hernandez

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel will be the top guy that the Cubs have because closers are high demand to contenders.
Arreta is a hard maybe.

Both I could see Jed holding also because of the control involved.

Bryant is the most likely to go. I have a hard time seeing Jed resigning him. His value is on the up rise. His bat can be a centerpiece in most line ups.

As far as the potential buyers go:

Braves: O is not a problem. Pitching should not be a concern.
Padres Best pitching staff in baseball. Ranked #11 in runs scored. So a Bryant deal has potential and he has ties to SD.

Bryant 166 wRC+

Padres top 5
Tatis 159
Grisham 137
Myers 134
Hosmer 125
Machado 106

Bryant would be their best hitter. He would replace Tommy Pham (Today). Pham was a solid player until SD. Fell off the table there.

Ryan Weathers would still be my top target in a return. He is currently pitching on the Padres.

Staff Depth
Darvish 2.27 ERA
Snell 3.92 ERA
Musgrove 1.24 ERA
Lamet 0.00 ERA (1 game)
Paddack 5.40 ERA (Another target)
Morejon 3.86 ERA

MacKenzie Gore is doing fine tuning and should be ready for the 2nd half of the year.

So I would target the Padres with Bryant and try for Weathers and Paddack as a fall back.
Paddack has a 8.49 K/9 2.70 BB/9 FIP 3.22 So he would be a strong return for Bryant IMO and seems to be unlucky.

But with Gore pending. Lamet back and Weathers as a swing man that leaves Paddack as the odd man out and Bryant would buy that. Not to mention with Bryant's ties to SD the Padres most likely could resign him fairly easy.

Now from the Cubs point of view gaining Paddack lets them drop a starter. Now this depends if they want to trade Hendricks or Arreta or the most likely is Davies. Seems that Contreras saw that Davies' sinker was breaking differently from the past and normally Davies toes the rubber center. He had him toe up to the 1B side and his sinker reacted better. So if this a legit adjustment then he becomes the top pitching trade chip.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel will be the top guy that the Cubs have because closers are high demand to contenders.
Arreta is a hard maybe.

Both I could see Jed holding also because of the control involved.

Bryant is the most likely to go. I have a hard time seeing Jed resigning him. His value is on the up rise. His bat can be a centerpiece in most line ups.

As far as the potential buyers go:

Braves: O is not a problem. Pitching should not be a concern.
Padres Best pitching staff in baseball. Ranked #11 in runs scored. So a Bryant deal has potential and he has ties to SD.

Bryant 166 wRC+

Padres top 5
Tatis 159
Grisham 137
Myers 134
Hosmer 125
Machado 106

Bryant would be their best hitter. He would replace Tommy Pham (Today). Pham was a solid player until SD. Fell off the table there.

Ryan Weathers would still be my top target in a return. He is currently pitching on the Padres.

Staff Depth
Darvish 2.27 ERA
Snell 3.92 ERA
Musgrove 1.24 ERA
Lamet 0.00 ERA (1 game)
Paddack 5.40 ERA (Another target)
Morejon 3.86 ERA

MacKenzie Gore is doing fine tuning and should be ready for the 2nd half of the year.

So I would target the Padres with Bryant and try for Weathers and Paddack as a fall back.
Paddack has a 8.49 K/9 2.70 BB/9 FIP 3.22 So he would be a strong return for Bryant IMO and seems to be unlucky.

But with Gore pending. Lamet back and Weathers as a swing man that leaves Paddack as the odd man out and Bryant would buy that. Not to mention with Bryant's ties to SD the Padres most likely could resign him fairly easy.

Now from the Cubs point of view gaining Paddack lets them drop a starter. Now this depends if they want to trade Hendricks or Arreta or the most likely is Davies. Seems that Contreras saw that Davies' sinker was breaking differently from the past and normally Davies toes the rubber center. He had him toe up to the 1B side and his sinker reacted better. So if this a legit adjustment then he becomes the top pitching trade chip.
Nice let's get the guy who isn't good enough to crack SD's rotation for Bryant who you claim would instantly be their best hitter (current numbers aside that just isn't true)