I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
i think the cubs half assed it. If they wanted to trade darvish, that’s fine and understandable. It can be a legit plan, but then they needed to trade away some more guys, and hopefully this trade deadline they accomplish just that. But, as it currently stands it makes no sense to trade darvish, but hold onto all these guys on their final year of their contracts. Clearly their final year of their contracts isn’t going to be a successful one

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I get it that the team has imploded and 2016 was it. But they could have kept Darvish around until tradr deadline and found a suitor with desperation.
And what @knoxville7 said. Gonna blow it up? Then blow it the fuck up. Move on. Have your gd fire sale and move forward.

I'll always remember 2016. And it's a shame they couldnt have squeaked one in 2015 or 2017. Let's just move forward and go for it again. Just seems like they aren't even attempting a smart rebuild, only trying to recoup monies from virus and stadium construction.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The trade was not about gaining talent. It was about dropping payroll.

Darvish was to make 62M Cubs sent 3mil in the deal.

So this was all about money. Tom dropped 2022/2023. 2021 he has to pay Davies 8.63M and the 3M for Darvish.

So 2021 Tom dropped 8.17M (Including the 1.3M paid to Victor) Then 43M owed Yu and Vic's A2-A3.

The return was ok. AJ didn't want to give up Preciado. He is ranked #10 on the Cubs and their systems 3rd best SS prospect. So from the Cubs point of view they got nothing in what they need: Power hitting core hitters or a SP prospect and got more of what they had.

So Hernandez will be at DSL (Blue) playing SS. Howard at Azl (Blue) playing SS. Preciado DSL (Red) playing SS.

Cassie Owen might end up a power OF. I'm ok with him as a toss in. Not the center piece. 60 Arm and a 55 power. Schwarber 2.0.

Santana is behind another SS (Yeison Made) Santana is a contact hitter with little upside. He is the 5th best SS in a SS strong system.

For Darvish this was a garbage return. 2 guys that added depth to a deep position system wise and a power LH bat?

I would have targeted Weathers (would be in Steel's position of gaining MLB innings). Jagger Haynes (LHP 6"3" 170)

Santana would have been fine as a 3rd prospect at that point.

Regardless spilled milk. All Jed got was trade chip depth at SS and a power hitting LF.

So over all:
trade D

Trades are based off of the trade in itself not external factors. People can add situational conditions to justify or brutalize it but at the end of the day it comes to buying and selling. Jed took less than market value for a ace.

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
i think the cubs half assed it. If they wanted to trade darvish, that’s fine and understandable. It can be a legit plan, but then they needed to trade away some more guys, and hopefully this trade deadline they accomplish just that. But, as it currently stands it makes no sense to trade darvish, but hold onto all these guys on their final year of their contracts. Clearly their final year of their contracts isn’t going to be a successful one

Agreed. He would have brought more value at the trade deadline for a playoff team making a push.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You can argue the return all you want, but the risk is that Yu ends up on the DL if you hold him which with his track record is pretty likely. Padres will find that out too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can argue the return all you want, but the risk is that Yu ends up on the DL if you hold him which with his track record is pretty likely. Padres will find that out too.
Crystal balling I see.

Pull a rabbit out of the hat also? Tarro cards?

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Him walking up to Rizzo' song showed once again what a class act he is.
Wish we still had him with how he's pitching as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Him walking up to Rizzo' song showed once again what a class act he is.
Wish we still had him with how he's pitching as well.

Davies has been doing pretty good ever sense Apr ended. He said that he had no command of his sinker. He adjusted his footing on the rubber.

Apr 9.37 ERA 2.21 WHIP
May 1.72 ERA 1.28 WHIP
Jun 3.48 ERA 1.26 WHIP

So the data backs what he said. June is 2 games. He should get 4 more times in a 28 game month. The WHIP's are inline so I would expect his June ERA to get into the 2.50 range in June.

So June 13 vs Cards
June 18 vs Marlins
June 24 at LAD
June 29 at Brewers

So I would expect 20 more IP for the month. David has been yanking guys after the 5th all year. Except Kyle who is on his timeline. 2.50 ERA for the month is attainable. That would put him at a 3.78 ERA going into July.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Salary dump and nothing more. Got a few lottery tickets in return. Could have held and got a better return imo

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Salary dump and nothing more. Got a few lottery tickets in return. Could have held and got a better return imo

Darvish is ranked #12. Scherzer ranked #9. Would cost 2 equal ranked for a rental.

Boyd is ranked #28. Again would cost 2 players in the 50 scale.

Jon Grey ranked #55. Again another that would cost 2 x50 or less ranked.

So I have little issue getting 4 and a rent. Use 2 for a 2nd rent to go for it in the last year together.

I see the players gained as trade chip depth vs playing depth. Cubs have 2 SS that should be in the top 100 next rankings. So all of that excess is spare change.