Leno. HE GONE

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the move.

His cap hit this was supposed to be $11,294,000 and cutting him will result in $5,082,000 dead cap space. The net savings is $6,212,000.

That's decent savings, but it also forces a rookie into action early while limiting the depth.

To be clear, I'm not saying Leno is better, but for what they got being ~$6.2M in cap space they are now rushing the development of Jenkins and making the team more vulnerable to injury.

I'm always against rushing a rookie into playing. I think for their own confidence it's best for them to start once they have won the job. As bad as Leno has been, without training camp it seems way too early to say a 2nd rounder is a starter.
Also not a fan. It only makes sense to me if they think they can bring in a free agent tackle to be average for cheaper

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure do hope there is a plan.... I mean if Jenkins fits at LT... Cool.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins played both left and right side..He does either

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If you feel Jenkins is the LT of the future, which they clearly do, then don't waste 9 million and all the reps on a guy you are going to punt.
I fully expect them to sign another Tackle.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins played some LT in college

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The post June 1st designation clear up $9M in cap space, which is pretty sweet...

It does make me wonder if they could have done this first, then potentially avoided cutting Fuller? Anyway, doesn't really matter.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Hopefully means we going after Fisher. Dont like the idea of throwing Jenkins into fire at LT.

Fisher or Okung or Villanueva or even 38 year old Jason Peters for a year. Can Mitchell Schwartz play LT or has he always played just RT?

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Expected to save 9M on designated June 1 cut. Not sure how I feel about this before we see Jenkins in action.

I wonder if this is a statement on development of our young tackles or just how poorly they thought of Leno's play.
Have you seen how Leno played in 2020?

Even the 5th round pick would probably do better than that. All he would have to do would be to jump on the ground and he would be better because he would be a bigger cone to get around.

Then saving 9 million is the cherry on top.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The post June 1st designation clear up $9M in cap space, which is pretty sweet...

It does make me wonder if they could have done this first, then potentially avoided cutting Fuller? Anyway, doesn't really matter.
It's quite possible that on some level, Desai wants to go in a different direction with his corners.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Looks like Pace has been reading these boards. Need to get Justin Fields, need to draft a guy to replace Leno.

Who's next? Nagy?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

cutting leno is allowing the bears to use that money to sign the draft class and have some left over...if fuller were still on the roster, the bears would have to cut others like hicks and/or others...